Are there any tarot decks that you dislike?

divinerguy

Qolus said:
so divinerguy, what decks do you not dislike?

Pretty much everything else.

Zhritza

but divinerguy, I can't think of any decks that aren't cancelled out by that list, and it's bothering me! :|

Demonesse

Divinerguy, I just have to echo Qolus on this - what decks DO you like??? I find that a theme, most of the time, brings a deck together cohesively.

And I like the Vampire! Although symbolism in it is almost nil...

Kiama

truthsayer said:
generally i no longer admit in public to disliking any deck b/c somehow that backfires on me and that deck ends up in my collection. :(

I find myself buying some decks for the exact reason that I KNOW I'm gonna dislike them, but my collection needs stupidly horrible decks in it, which I can write really nasty reviews about... })

This is one of the reasons I ended up trading the Connoly with Catlin, but that deck wasn't too bad in the end...

I am quite amazed at the decks people dislike actually... Isn't it great to see all this variety? There are people on AT who can rant and rave about how wonderful the Robin Wood is, then there are others who can easily rant and rave about how it is horrible... Brilliant!

It's weird cuz nearly all the decks people have disliked so far are those that I LOVE! Other than the Thoth. Cosmic Tribe for instance, and the Round decks...

Kiama

WolfSpirit

Re: Book of Thoth...

Sinta said:
Thoth Tarot - Crowley

Okay I dont totally dislike this deck. The imagery strikes a cord into me, and yet when I look at the image, it seems as if they want to break out of the card and overflow into the real world.

Some people mentioned it had ties to an occultist, A. Crowley, who I have never heard from before, so if anyone wishes to enlighten this poor soul ;) you may.

I agree with you Sinta. At first I hated the Thoth, it almost frightened me, but I'm beginning to be a bit intrigued by it. I'd like to know some more about Crowley as well. I sa a big fat and expensive book by him, but I'm not THAT curious I want to spend that amount of money.

WolfSpirit

ooops, just discovered that there is a new thread on this subject...

Jackal

My feelings on the Thoth deck depend on what day you ask me... I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I think it's the Witches Tarot- I like to call it the Motley Crue tarot. If you've seen it, I bet you can figure out why.

But, I think my all time least favorite (and coincidentally, the first deck I ever bought) is Tarot of the Cat People. Blah.

Yes, I'll tell you why. I find the artwork flat and the symbolism seems to be a pale RW pastiche.

Also, people with big eyes freak me out.

finn

Actually, I hate most of the tarot decks that seem to be so popular with the rest of the world. For example, I don't like the Osho Zen one, neither do I like, The Flower Speaks, nor Rider Waite, nor the Connolly one.

BUT I tend to prefer decks that have medieval or italian artwork. I bought the Whimsical a few weeks ago...I don't like it too much, but I guess I have to live with it. I'm getting Alice in Wonderland in the mail, and I'm sure I'm gonna like this. :p

Demonesse

Osho Zen = yuck!

})

fairyhedgehog

I have owned and gladly parted with:
Visconti Gold
Art Nouveau (Matt Myers)

I haven't even bought any erotic decks or very dark decks. And I don't like decks with large cards, I like little ones (except the Tiny Tarot which is amazingly badly made.) I'm not keen on photos and there are plenty of decks that just don't grab me.

I just want that one perfect deck ... :D