Gothic tarot compendium

shadowdancer

I saw this has been available in the US for a couple of months, as a companion book to the Gothic tarot.

Has anyone read this, who would be able to comment as to whether it is a useful supporting tool to the deck itself?

Thanks in advance.

Davina

baba-prague

Needless to say I'm also very interested to hear about this book - as I have found our own companion book a real tough one to write (SO hard not to end up making the cards sound unremittingly dark).

Has anyone here read the book? Or should I post in that other thread maybe?

shadowdancer

Hi Marion - thanks for the link.

Had a gander through the thread but couldn't find evidence of anyone having read the book.

I guess it is still early days for it to have filtered through to any great extent as yet.

Alta

No, I have not seen any posts by anyone who has read the book either.

WolfyJames really loves this deck. Maybe she will wander along if she has read the book.

WolfyJames

Marion said:
No, I have not seen any posts by anyone who has read the book either.

WolfyJames really loves this deck. Maybe she will wander along if she has read the book.

Sorry but with my recent move I'm pretty broke, I had planned to buy many stuff from Vargo's store as well (CDs) but it did not work out. I know Annik has bought the book though but when we met she told me she had just received it and had not read it yet. Let's grab her to get more answers! ;)

Myrrha

I suppose it is a good thing that there will be a book but...

The Vargo deck was so mysterious, you *had* to read this one intuitively and let it speak to you in order to read with it at all. If there is a book (and it is any good) that won't really be the case anymore. Or at least not in the same way.

--Myrrha

6 Haunted Days

I did love the artwork, mood and ambience of the Gothic, but just could not read with it. Perhaps the companion book would help? The picturies were so different from any inferred meanings I was pretty blank , so it was going to be a deck with just my own personal meanings for the cards. I ended up trading it, so I would have to get it again.

annik

WolfyJames is right: I do have it. Things have calm down a little so I will have the chance to have a look at it more closely in the next few days...

annik

Ok, just finished to read it. Nothing too much groundbreaking. There is a few spreads at the end. The celtic cross is there. I like the gothic arch spread. Otherwise, the only thing I like with this book is the comment of Joseph Vargo on the cards (mainly the major. the minor were more briefly treated than the major).

So, if you want some of the author insight on the cards, it is a good purchase. It give a few intesresting meaning for some symbolism in the cards but I find it a little bit sparse. I don't regret bying it but there isn't much hype to give to the book.

Is there other people who have read it? It was a quick read and I am affraid I may have missed a few things...