the Conver 'barcode'

patrickjutte

hi there

I'm not a regular submitter, but I have a question about the conver tarot with puzzles me.
In certain trump cards there apaear little bars at the bottom of the cards. Looks like a barcode. I'm trying to get some info and googled it, but, no luck. The only website who gives SOME info is the kris hadar website. But there is no explanation.
Has anybody an idea what the bars could mean. Is there a code...?

greetings Patrick

Abrac

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Is it in the title area? Some of the cards have it while others don't. To me it just looks like shading, but that doesn't explain why some have it and others don't. I guess you could pull all the ones that have it and see if there is some sort of pattern.

Minervasaltar

Abrac said:
I guess you could pull all the ones that have it and see if there is some sort of pattern.

Or you could just read the site I gave a link to.....

thinbuddha

Minervasaltar said:
Or you could just read the site I gave a link to.....

The site linked to seems to go over a numerology based on the text on the card, while the original post seems to be asking about a graphic (non-textual) element found on the cards.

Melanchollic

-----

Minervasaltar

thinbuddha said:
The site linked to seems to go over a numerology based on the text on the card, while the original post seems to be asking about a graphic (non-textual) element found on the cards.

Let me copy some quotes from that site then.

Here is the main cipher of the code:
A, C, E, H, I, L, M, O, P, R, T, V and X
A=1, C=3, E=5, H=8, etc.
Substituting U for V

So yes, that's basic numerology and the cards that don't have added stripes or stars next to the name then add up to the number of the card itself.

With the cards that dó have stripes and stars, you have to sclick further to page 12 of the site, where you can read:

It leads us to state one of the rules of the secret code of the Tarot of Marseilles:
When a word is followed by a point *, one doubles the sum of the value of the letters of the code that are before the said * and subtracts the result from the sum of the value of the letters that follow the *.

and

Note also that sometimes dashes (IIIIIII... or //////) in certain Arcanas also take part in the equation. It is often necessary to count them and include their value in the additions.

So then on each and every card the name plus stripes plus star adds up to the numerological value of that card.

If this is indeed a secret code, I'm not sure, but if it is it may indicate that there was a time when the majors had a name but no number.

Minervasaltar

I have to so rectify the message I wrote above. See, a year or so ago I found ROM's site, calculated with him the cards that he mentioned as examples, and trusted that the whole major arcana could be calculated that way (that is, with basic numerology and a few consistent 'tricks').

But today I took up the effort to try and calculate all 22 majors using ROM's code, and it turns out that the code is not at all working consistently through all the cards. Please anyone correct me if I made any calculating mistakes, which of course is possible.

The idea of ROM's code is that every name should have the numerological sum of the card (so LAPAPESSE should sum up to 2).

Using only the letters that ROM considers relevant (A, C, E, H, I, L, M, O, P, R, T, V and X) the only cards that sum up to the correct number without other tricks are: II, III, VI, VIIII and XIIII.

VII only gets a sum of 7 when you add the letters on the shield (V and T) as well (that was a little trick of my own).
XI only sums up to 11 if you add the number of barcode stripes to the total sum. But this is the only card where counting the barcode stripes seems to work. The are many more cards with stripes that seem to have no function in ROM's code. That's just strange!

If you change the U for a V, cards I and IIII (spells like LEMPEREUP, with a P, as it is spelled on the Heron version) also make a numerological fit.

When you pull the trick of adding the little balls (37 in total) to the total sum, the tower (XVI) also fits.

The Fool (0) and the Sun (XVIIII) can only be made to fit if you take the dot in account and use the formula of: "sum of second word minus (2 X sum of first word)".
The bizar thing is that there are loads of cards with a dot after the first or second (or even third) word, and with the vast majority of these either no trick is needed, or the trick doesn't work. Hmmmmm......

So that leaves me with 10 cards (V, VIII, X, XII, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XX, XXI) where ROM's code fails (even if I try to make extra special exceptional tricks).

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft..................

I kinda hope that I missed parts of ROM's code (can't read the French parts), and that somebody will enlighten me with these missing parts.

I do feel like all these misspellings (like LEMPEREUP), dots and stripes have a meaning that is significant. But then again, maybe that's only my 'secret code' wishful thinking.

patrickjutte

conver barcode

hi Minervasaltar,

you are right,
I tried your link (Rom's website) and I translate his whole site with google "translate" into english, the trick doen'st always work.
Althought Rom's site is interesting, he does'nt solve the "bracode-riddle". May be it has no meaning at all, but, I cannot imagine that. I puzzled with all the cards,but....no luck

patrick

Minervasaltar

patrickjutte said:
and I translate his whole site with google "translate" into english,

Pfffft, that's a lot of work as well. I feel quilty for putting you on the wrong track with such false confidence. Sorry for that. But at least we did both try and calculate the whole thing and now know that ROM's code doesn't work.

Does he reveal any other 'tricks' in the French part of the site that are relevant? I'd like to know without having to google-translate the whole thing myself.

Althought Rom's site is interesting, he does'nt solve the "bracode-riddle". May be it has no meaning at all, but, I cannot imagine that. I puzzled with all the cards,but....no luck

The barcodes are on:

VI LAMOVREVX (5 stripes on the left and 6 stripes on the right)
VIII LAJUSTICE (9 stripes on the left and 11 stripes on the right)
XI LAFORCE (20 stripes on the right)
XVIII LALUNE (10 stripes on the left and 7 plus 4 stripes on the right)
XVIIII LESOLEIL (14 stripes on the left and 6 stripes on the right)

So only with the card (Sun) that only has stripes on the right does adding the total of stripes lead to the correct sum.
Maybe the cards with stripes on both sides need another, more complicated mathemetical procedure?
But then again, cards VI and XVIIII can already be calculated without the stripes.

Sigh.......