Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Aziah 
Citizen

Question Difficulty Reading New Decks

Why is it that I have such difficulty reading new decks?! I buy decks that I am interested in but I can't read with them. The only deck I found so far that I *love* is Gilded...I can read it (almost) perfectly. I absolutely adore DruidCraft...but it doesn't "read" as good as Gilded for me.

Will I be stuck reading Gilded forever? ...or is there a way to "train" oneself to read other decks?

"You can get so confused that you'll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place...
The Waiting Place" ~Dr. Seuss
Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
lark 
Just a little prairie faerie

The only way I have found is to put the other decks aside and immerse yourself in the new deck..don't worry so much about quality of readings for awhile, but focus on quantity of readings...do a lot on anything and everything...sit and look through the cards whenever you have the chance....just spend gobs of time with it, before you know it it will be an old dear friend that has taught you new insights into the cards that will open up the Gilded even more.
And you'll have a new deck in your stable of good working decks

Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Aziah 
Citizen

Thanks Lark! I have been looking through my new decks quite often (and attempting to read with them) but haven't tried the side-by-side comparison. I will def try that! I hope it works because there are a lot of decks I would love to read with...but just can't get a "feel" for them.

"You can get so confused that you'll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place...
Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
willowfox 
Ex-fortuneteller

Like Lark says put away all the other cards and really get to know the new deck, it won't take long. How did you get used to the Guilded, by playing with them.
willowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
franniee 
Citizen

Aziah - sometimes the reverse works for me - I get a new deck work with it a bit - find it isn't what I expected and then I put it aside and come back to it later and we seem to click. Sometimes things need to sink in a bit for me.

The gilded was that way for me but it was my first new deck in 10 years!

f

Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
lark 
Just a little prairie faerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziah
Thanks Lark! I have been looking through my new decks quite often (and attempting to read with them) but haven't tried the side-by-side comparison. I will def try that! I hope it works because there are a lot of decks I would love to read with...but just can't get a "feel" for them.
I didn't mean to compare them side by side...that might work for you you can give it a try..but that only confused me with to many different symbols....so i just stuck with the new deck for an extended period of time untillii felt comfortable with it.
Of course there are some you might not ever really click with, that is just part of the problem with tarot decks...we have to keep shelling out the money and taking chances on new decks if we want to find more than one or two we really connect with.
I also think we are lucky if in this lifetime we find one great deck we love and can do great readings with, I think that is a real blessing.

Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Aziah 
Citizen

LOL - leave it to me to "misread"...soooo sorry! But yes, I think the general concensus is to study them more!

Old 01-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
SixDegrees 
Citizen

Haha, that's funny. When I read your title, I thought you were having problems reading NEW decks...that is, you find it difficult to read with a deck that has never been used before. This is my problem...used decks that I pick up at secondhand bookstores always read better for me, and new decks just never seem to lose that slick feeling. *sigh* And here I thought I had found a kindred spirit... : )
SixDegrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
tarotlyn 
~ Follow Your ♥ Heart ♥ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark
...we have to keep shelling out the money and taking chances on new decks if we want to find more than one or two we really connect with.
I also think we are lucky if in this lifetime we find one great deck we love and can do great readings with, I think that is a real blessing.
Lark, I think truer words were never spoken!!! I agree!

Also, here is a thought, maybe trying new decks, is like the process of illimination!...
...you find out what you DON'T like and then you fall in love with what you already like...even MORE!!!
Hope that made sense!
tarotlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
SarahRose 
Citizen

I've had trouble with new decks too. For me, though, just owning them long enough pulls me towards them and they become one of the family.

SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today