Queen of Cups - Victorian Romantic Tarot

thorhammer

This Queen appears to be the only waking being in a summery landscape snoozing in the late afternoon. She is content to sit quietly, alert and at the ready, almost as if she's expecting something or someone, but is not uncomfortable.

Everything surrounding her represents the lives we live around our Selves. Here, all that is sleeping and the figure of the Queen is more brightly coloured and more immediately noticeable than everything else, showing that side of us that exists without being defind by what surrounds us. This is the part of us we reach in meditation, and she is in that place we go to sometimes when we just need a little peace.

In a reading, this card may show that we are strongly independent of our external existence and our emotional security and creativity are therefore self-contained, healthy and abundant. Dignified, it is a positive affirmation about the person indicated (the querent or otherwise) and their ability to listen, empathise and advise as a true friend. It could be urging the querent to re-examine their self-contained Nature and bring their awareness back to the centre.

Ill-dignified, it suggests extremes of emotion and insecurity. The person indicated is far from their centre and blames anyone and anything within memory for what they perceive as their misfortune. They crave attention and sympathy and become a huge emotional drain on those around them. This person is still capable of great compassion and eep caring for others, but thses feelings are seated in their need to bind someone else to them, especially through emotional blackmail.

In abstract terms, the card indicates latent creativity, a time of emotional responses (whether good or bad) to situations, introspection and self-understanding, expectation, peace and comfort, a passive sense of security, love freely given, being or seeking a true friend.

\m/ Kat

Jannelientje

I must admit that I had some problems with this card. She supposedly is the a symbol of love and creativity, but in every first look I see a woman who has abandened a baby (the cherubin) and tries to escape it all. Never being really reality, but always looking there where the grass is greener.

She looks away from the viewer. If the were looking upwords, to the sky, it would have given me the idea of inspiration, if she was looking downwards, I would have thought she truly cared for tgose around her. To me, she seems a bit too preoccupied with herself and her own emotions and sensibilities to really share her love and passion and ideas with others.