List of tarot myths

Pollianna

willowfox said:
Isn't it true that reading too often for yourself will make you go crazy? A doctor once told me that many of his psychiatric patients used to use tarot cards.

There you go! it's been confirmed. We are all mad ................ lol ;)

Sphinxmoth

willowfox said:
Isn't it true that reading too often for yourself will make you go crazy? A doctor once told me that many of his psychiatric patients used to use tarot cards.

That goes along with the myth that if a DOCTOR says it (or reads it in
a journal, or was assured by a pharmaceutical corporation), it must
be true.
Along with "the tarot card reader said so".
Along with "I was just following orders".
riiiight..

no, no.. it's just me. I have read for myself far too often, obviously..

le fey

"But the reading SAID we were meant for each other! And he doesn't even know I'm alive!"

"Well no, the outcome card said you had potential to be very compatible if you opened up communications. Did you talk to him as adviced?"

"No, why would I do that? I don't want to tempt fate! If we're meant for each other it will just happen!"

"Um, no..."

(and round and round we go)

Formicida

The cards are likely to tell you exactly what your future spouse's name will be, how many children you will have, what their names will be, and the date of your death.

LillyCat

You can only learn the 'true way' of the tarot from a Seventh Daughter/Son of a Seventh Daughter/Son - that's a complicated family tree!

And:

If you expose the cards to sunlight, all the pictures will fade away and the 'power' will be sucked from the deck making it unusable or as one Tarot book author wrote ' Never EVER, under ANY circumstances expose the cards to sunlight'.

And:

If you consult the cards during a time of confusion or stress (especially if you are reading fro yourself) you WILL conjure up a dark spirit. (However, if you've read the other myths posted here, you will of course realise that reading for yourself will most certainly result in your imminent demise).

And:

Tarot decks will fight privately amongst themselves if you store them together. If you choose a particular deck, the other decks will see this as treason or betrayal and they will not speak to you.

And finally:

The Thoth Deck gives you a direct line to Alistair Crowley who will be pleased to help you with your query...

LillyCat

willowfox said:

I suspect also that possibly, just possibly, many of his patients have also suffered some kind of massive trauma (emotional or physical) at some point of their lives which may, just may, be attributed to their current state of mental ill health. Just my cheeky guess ;)

Formicida

LillyCat said:
The Thoth Deck gives you a direct line to Alistair Crowley who will be pleased to help you with your query...

And conversely: The Thoth Deck gives you a direct line to Alistair Crowley who will take it upon himself to personally haunt you, or sic dreadful spirits on you.

Raya

Aleister Crowely was a Satanist, and the Thoth deck is evil.

There was once some crazy glowy orb hovering above the earth that burst into pieces, some of which fell into China and became the I-Ching, and the rest of which fell into Europe and became Tarot.... or something like that.... Can someone explain to me how celestial orb pieces transform into a philosophy, belief system, or some other system of thought?? I didn't get it when I first heard it, and and I still don't get it now....

And when you sleep with your cards (which you must do to "bond" with them), remove the Devil card first, or else... or else.... uhhh, I don't know, maybe evil gnomes will come devour your toes or something....

You must perform a ritual to "bond" with your paper- I mean tarot cards.... :eyeroll:

You're more capable of reading during your period... or at least 52% of you are...

You're more capable of reading during the full moon.

You're more capable of reading during the new moon.

The Sun cleans your cards' energy (as opposed to destroying it).

In order to dispose of your cards, you must wrap them in plain white cotton and bury them.

sleepingcat

Certain people have a characteristic that will "Break" or "Jang" a deck simply by touching/readingfor/being near. And will ALWAYS get towers, devils, and deaths.

Myth Busted

Some People are Unreadable, by anyone.

Myth tenatively busted

Strangest one I heard..... That if you get a reading with a bad omen, remove the offending card from the deck. As long as it stays out of the rest of the deck, that future would be kept from happening. If the card goes back in, the future is unfrozen and will happen as perdicted.

Not taking cards out of my deck to find out.

and

Cards wont work unless left in the light of a full moon.

Myth Busted- Not leaving my cards outside to get dewed on and carried off by varmits.

rachelcat

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you go through a deck and turn upright the reversed cards.

Conversely, you must always reorder your deck after every reading to "reset" it.

Which order should we follow??!!