How important is Symbology in Tarot to you?

Neely75

Well, I think my title sums the aim of this post up quite well. I've been doing a lot of reading since I've been here. I only use the Druidcraft, but just through reading general posts and readings, you see a lot of the symbology which is used in cards.

My problem is, I don't think there is any system which I would really completely understand the symbology of. I don't know enough about Druid/wiccan symbology for the druidcraft, I don't know enough about ancient egyptian symbology for the Ancient Egyptian Tarot. I don't know enough about Christian symbology to use RWS easily.

How important is the symbology in the cards to your understanding of them? Do you really need to understand the symbols to connect to your cards? Did you understand the symbols when you first looked at the cards, or was it a matter of a lot of research for you?

It takes me forever to learn what little things mean, so I'm worried I'm never really going to understand any deck well.

nicky

If you are reading without knowing the symbology then I would say it must not be all that important LOL . I like to study the symbology of a deck but sometimes only because the deck is based on some pantheon I find interesting rather than to help read. The symbols can help point to the meaning for people, but are not necessary. They are similar to numerology, QBLH, astrology, etc when used in conjunction to Tarot... acting as additional data which can add more insight. Icing on the cake but the cake is just fine without them :)

Abrac

To me symbolism is everything, but I think you can still connect with the cards even if you don't completely understand the symbolism. I don't know if anyone can ever completely understand it, so everyone is working at whatever level they are comfortable with. The main thing is whether you enjoy your cards and what you are doing with them.

For me, reading and artwork take a back seat to symbolism. I enjoy good artwork and reading occasionally, but if the symbolism doesn't have relevance I lose interest. On the other hand, some of my favorite decks are those a lot of people might classify as ugly or, god forbid, "icky!" :laugh:

As far as the study of symbolism goes, I din't know a damn thing when I first started. Reading and research have been indispensable for me. Meditating on the cards has been helpful, but without the background information gained from study, meditating alone would have been a lot less productive I believe.

The crowned one

I could go on for hours on this topic. Symbolism is the oldest and most fundamental method of expression, it can represent aspects of reality or idea's that the written word, or any other mode of communication can not. Unfortunately it must be read within the context of the culture or religion it came out of in most cases making it frustratingly un-universal with the exception of a few archetypes. That said I find it indispensable in reading tarot cards, after all they are basically a collage of symbols. I study them constantly from every angle and culture..looking for those threads that tie them together.

Scion

For me, symbology is critical. Symbology is a simple monolithic fact of any human activity. I'd pretty much insist that it is what makes 78 pieces of cardstock into a Tarot deck rather than a stack of midget postcards or a tacky anthology of iffy art... but that's me.

The thing is, I think (if you don't mind me making an inference on your behalf) you're actually asking what kind of symbolism is important to each of us: esoteric or exoteric?

Exoteric symbolism includes anything that is commonly recognized as a symbolic set: popular understandings of color, number, shape, hierarchy, ethics, and social context. When people say they "ignore symbolism" and "just read intuitively" what they seem to mean is that they rely entirely on an exoteric symbolic vocabulary that is instantly accessible and meaningful to them. Exoteric symbol is by definition public and immediate and easily reproduced. It is the fabric of popular culture (movies, TV, music) because it can be readily understood by the greatest number of people. And this isn't a criticism or a dismissal. Exoteric symbol is the fabric of communication and cultural norms. It is the backbone of our cultural literacy and childrearing and all instantly powerful messages that bridge cultural gaps.

Esoteric symbolism is what many people mean when they say "symbolism." That is to say, a symbolic set that is occult (in the literal sense of "hidden") which requires research and direct personal experience to grasp even partially. Esoteric symbolism includes all world models NOT readily available in the "average" symbol set: astrology, qabalah, mythology, alchemy, religious doctrine, and anything else unfamiliar to the (theoretical) average person. Because of this, esoteric symbolism often gets characterized as: extraneous, trivial, weird, elitist, pointless and/or counterintuitive. By definition, it includes any symbolic system that demands a radical shift of worldview to implement. For this reason it is rarely portrayed or employed in popular culture because it can seem like a "closed door" or a "velvet rope" barring entrance to the uninitiated. Exactly what you don't want in movies, TV, music...

Obviously the line between these two symbolic modes isn't a fixed wall, but more of a blurry shoreline that advances and recedes with the cultural tide. A medieval nun's exoteric symbols would include things we can hardly imagine. A modern politician's esoteric symbol set would seem alien and bizarre to an ancient monarch. The territory shifts for each individual, each tradition, each culture. It's an illusory distinction, and all the more real for being so. For my money, I think each of us incorporates both, in varying degrees. Symbols crawl out of our faces and hands to fill the World we build out of their bones.

Now, all that being said... I tend to be drawn to esoteric symbol, because I've spent my entire life parsing exoteric symbol and I love a challenge. But I would be silly not to consider the ways in which exoteric symbolism is employed in the service of esoterica.

But that's just my personal bent, and we all have one of our own. :D

Scion

thorhammer

Symbolism, to me, is what makes a tarot deck that has been illustrated and scripted by someone we don't know accessible to us. If you illustrated your own tarot deck, it would not necessarily contain any "symbols" (although I think you'd be very hard-pressed to achieve this, as the mind wants to symbolise on a very deep level) but would serve its purpose and help you to reach that place in your mind intuitively. But someone else who looked at it would likely be completely flummoxed (yay - another place to use this word - sorry)ahem . . .

Have you ever seen those cards that use brightly coloured fractals to enhance meditation? Beautiful, just gorgeous, but in the sense of being a Tarot or even an external oracle - not exactly useful. You'd see something different every time you looked at the same one, depending on you mood! It would be no good at all for guidance. It might be great for accessing your inner emotions and assessing how you truly feel about a situation - one could even say that it could be a way to open up your psychic ability.

My first deck, the Shining Woman (now Shining Tribe Tarot) had symbols that, to me, spoke to the deepest, darkest, most primitive part of me. Having read Scion's very educated and informative post above, I am still at a loss to decide whether the symbols used in that deck are esoteric or exoteric, as they spoke to me without reading what the author/artist meant by using them.

But without some system of symbolism a Tarot deck - IMO only - does not meet the definition of a Tarot deck. So you could say that symbolism is very important to me, and getting to know the symbols in different decks is what makes the study of Tarot such a great pastime.

Tarot on! \m/ Kat

Sinduction

I really don't understand how you can't read all decks pretty much the same. Maybe it's just me but I can read with any deck. The basics meanings are the same as long as you use the same basic style of deck.

I've read The Pictoral Key to the Tarot by Waite, which explains different symbols used and the Pocket Guide to Tarot by Oken. While I don't agree with the basic meanings for all the cards, both books are quite sufficient in explaining symbolism of the RW. But I'm sure all of this can be found on the net for free.

I've also found the having the companion books (in most cases) helps in understanding why the artist included certain symbols.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you know the basic meanings your intuition should take over, no?

AJ

You can read any deck just as you can communicate with someone who doesn't speak the same language, certainly you can. But to get deeper you have to go deeper.

Gayla

I think understanding symbolism is very important from a study perspective, but I don't focus on it as much when I read unless I have lot of time and my Dictionary of Symbols and the companion book open right beside me.

I use to worry about not knowing and understanding all the symbols, but then I realized there are so many it is not possible to know and learn them all.

Perhaps the real thing to understand is really when it is important to know and apply them.

balenciaga

I agree with all who said use any deck that you enjoy and feel intuitive with. If it works and you feel you are not missing any part of the experience, no problems:) Symbols are plentiful and there if you want them; someday you might be bored with what you know or have learned and find that you would like to learn more, go deeper, learn a "new language". And the avenue will be open to you.