Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

EmpressRenee 
Citizen

Hermit as how someone feels about you

I have not been quite able to get the message of the Hermit when this card turns up in the position of "How he feels about her" within the context of a romantic relationship reading. My first impression is that he feels that there's much to learn about her or even that he feels she is a quite alone. The Hermit doesn't seem to speak of anything particularly romantic by way of how he feels about her; i.e. his feelings in regards to her as a romantic partner. It's more as if he feels like he's a mentor or guide or teacher or advisor to her, helping her learn perhaps. I thought for a moment about the Hierophant but the Hermit is a bit confusing to me in this regard.

Any thoughts would be more than welcome!

Kindest regards

Empress
EmpressRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller

I'd say he just wants to be left alone by her. The Hermit is a Major and that would tell me it's not negotiable, either.
Grizabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
cherryberry 
Citizen

I'd agree with Solitaire. Its his actions will also appear very passive, she isnt in his sight at all, he and his latern are after something else, most likely in relation to himself as its about soulsearching,..
cherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
Moonbow 
Jougen no tsuki

Sometimes in a relationship it's necessary to spend some time alone to think deeply. Romantically it could just mean that she is in his thoughts and he needs time to decide what to do. The Hermit may not rush into action, but he thinks deeply and thinks a lot.
Moonbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
memries 
Citizen

He may like her from afar. He has things to settle of his own and is not able to come out of his shell. It may be unrequited love or not because he is not revealing anything.

He is mysterious after all.
memries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
Open Arms 
Citizen

Without the rest of the reading it is difficult to say but I tend to think it is a case of he is learning about her, how she fits in with his scheme of things. Does she blend with him or does he need to blend with her? Is this a possible meeting of minds??

Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
caridwen 
Citizen

As feelings as opposed to actions - that's what we need to get to here.

Actions would suppose finding out about her and all the rest.

Feelings - he's a hermit - what more do you need to know?
caridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
obsidian_queen 
Citizen

The hermit to me means that someone has turned away from the world, withdrawn or retreated from social life. He may be more into himself at the moment, and not in an egotistical way, but more of a self defining, what do I want out of life way. Romance doesn't figure strongly on the hermit's agenda, so at best, I would say that his feelings are distant toward her, or on the flip side, he may feel as though she is distant from HIM in some way.

Old 13-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
Grizabella 
Tarot Reader/Fortune Teller

I've always understood a hermit as being someone who, as Robert Frost said, "had a lover's quarrel with the world" and went off to live in a cave away from civilized society. Sometimes having had the lover's quarrel with a woman (or women over the course of his lifetime to that point) caused him to do that. I might have had the wrong understanding of what a hermit it, but I do know it didn't include women and romance.

Something I also thought I understood was that hermits didn't rejoin society but instead stayed in their cave or shack and were just accidentally stumbled upon by strangers who were lost and needed help. Or else the strangers were stumbled upon, half-dead, by a hermit who then nursed them back to health but I think that's more the story about the old witch/hag who lives in the woods.

The person who goes away to rethink things before coming back to society seems more to be the Hanged Man to me.
Grizabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
Sophie 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire*
I've always understood a hermit as being someone who, as Robert Frost said, "had a lover's quarrel with the world" and went off to live in a cave away from civilized society. Sometimes having had the lover's quarrel with a woman (or women over the course of his lifetime to that point) caused him to do that. I might have had the wrong understanding of what a hermit it, but I do know it didn't include women and romance.

Something I also thought I understood was that hermits didn't rejoin society but instead stayed in their cave or shack and were just accidentally stumbled upon by strangers who were lost and needed help. Or else the strangers were stumbled upon, half-dead, by a hermit who then nursed them back to health but I think that's more the story about the old witch/hag who lives in the woods.

The person who goes away to rethink things before coming back to society seems more to be the Hanged Man to me.
I agree with your first paragraph, but not the second or third - or at least, not in full. It's possible (both historically and psychologically) to be a hermit just for a period of one's life. It need not be a life-long thing. While the person is a hermit, they might not have romance on their minds - they will be searching something else, and they need to be alone; but it can also be that they feel alone - possibly because someone they love is absent, or because they don't love the one they are with. That doesn't mean they will never return to active social life (including romance). I've turned up the Hermit several times in my life during times of crisis and aloneness - times when I needed to be alone and find a new direction for myself. But I've not stayed in my cave forever

As for the Hanged Man, I see him as someone who is either stuck and not going anywhere, or is trying to look at things from a different perspective.

Hermit as for how someone feels about a girl? In addition to the other interpretation ideas you've received, Empress Renée, maybe they feel lonely when she's not there? Or when she's there? The other cards will give you an indication.

Last edited by Sophie; 13-10-2007 at 03:31.
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10