High Priestess Reversed to describe a man

firelight

I asked for a card from my RWS deck to best describe the relationship status for particular man I don't know very well. I pulled the High Priestess reversed.

Being quite a feminine card I was taken aback a little, how would you read it for a man?

Some interpretations I've looked up include someone who is single, or lacks female companionship, who has been hurt and betrayed, or who is lonely or lacks self confidence.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

balenciaga

I would say his relationships are not deep. Being a major, I would say this is a pattern of his behavior, no one serious person in particular.

Sulis

I'd say he's an upfront type where relationships are concerned.
Nothing hidden here, what you see is what you get.
Maybe someone who doesn't really know what he wants in a relationship so maybe he flits around a bit.

willowfox

Shallow person who has nothing to hide, probably quite impatient and restless, a hard person to pin down into a relationship.

squeakmo9

I imagine HP-rx for a man's personality as someone difficult to know unless you are an intimate friend. One he has known for a loooong time.
He can come off as a mystery, even within his own family.
A strange allure.
The type of person who is outgoing among his few friends, but clams up in a room filled with strangers.

caridwen

firelight said:
I asked for a card from my RWS deck to best describe the relationship status for particular man I don't know very well. I pulled the High Priestess reversed.

Being quite a feminine card I was taken aback a little, how would you read it for a man?

Some interpretations I've looked up include someone who is single, or lacks female companionship, who has been hurt and betrayed, or who is lonely or lacks self confidence.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Misogynist?

Be careful when using strict gender definitions. Your idea of 'feminine' or 'masculine' is cultural and personal and may not always tally with someone elses'. The Tarot is meant to be archetypal and the 'masculine' or 'feminine' cards apply to both men and women:)

MedusaWasAMermaid

I agree with caridwen. I think the cards have more to do with traits and attributes than with genitals or chromosomes- and masculinity and femininity are largely culturally based, anyway. Besides, most of us have both "masculine" and "feminine" traits. If the card with the most appropriate traits or message happens to have the face of the opposite gender upon it, it is still far more appropriate than a card showing someone of the same gender, but with less relevant traits. Personally, I don't tend to read the cards any differently for a male, than I do for a female (or vice versa) regardless of the gender of the key individual on the card, but read it the way it feels right to you.

Metafizzypop

I think the High Priestess reversed implies someone who is out of touch with him/herself.

The High Priestess represents intuitive knowledge, all that deep, profound, subconscious stuff within us. So if the HP card comes up reversed, I think it's saying that this man is out of touch with his inner self. He's someone who doesn't know himself at all, who lacks both intuition and sensitivity. My bet is that this person is cold, overly rational, lacks empathy, and is a little bit dense.
As for relationship status, which is what the original question was about, I'd say I don't think this man is capable of forming a solid bond with a woman right now. He's either single or in a bad relationship -- but the relationship would be bad because of his inability to form close ties.

Dean

I have only had a reversed HP card when a woman had a problem with her partners indiscretion about revealing personal information to a close friend of his, the HP can also mean that a man might feel threatened by his partner's inability of revealing her self too much too him, and will only talk with close friends, this might be that the woman feels she cannot connect with her partner on a personal level

Umbrae

firelight said:

Tarot cards…don’t mean poop.

Seriously – they don’t.

It’s the context that provides meaning.

You pulled one card in response to that question?

Your answer was G-d pointing her finger and laughing at you – while stirring a fresh batch of Jambalaya.

Ask a silly shallow question, and you’ll get the same in kind.

That said…it could also be the answer to what he wants in a woman…and then again perhaps that too…