Vaseline glass beads update

Briar Rose

Hi everyone,

I wrote to International Isotopes about those pesty Vaseline glass beads fo mine. I think some of you were right about getting rid of them. I wrote the company back after their reply about testing the beads for me, or getting rid of them properly. I am waiting to hear back from them. All I have been is sick since I got them. I love them, and the color is amazing, the properties of these are not, especially since I use jewelry for healing. Uranuim will kill me.

Anyway, here is the companies frist reply. I thought ya'll might like to read about it:

Uranium will emit alpha, low energy photons and low energy electrons as it decays. The alpha particle will not escape the glass bead. You may be able to detect a small amount of alpha from any uranium that is just as the surface of the bead, even still the alpha particle will not penetrate the skin or pass through clothing. Low Energy electron and photon dose on the surface shouldn’t be very high. This energy would be deposited in the skin adjacent that is in contact with the bead(s). If you have a G-M probe you could measure the dose or count rate. I do not know the concentration of uranium in the glass so I can’t give you an estimate of what this dose would be. I modeled the photon dose for a 0.25 cm radius bead of pure natural uranium. The photon dose 0.25 cm from the surface is 0.0063 mr/hr. If you multiply that by 10 (highly conservative) to account for the dose due to electron emission then you are at 0.063 mr/hr. To observe immediate affects of radiation on the skin the dose needs to be extremely high. The allowable occupation dose to the skin is 50 rems (or 50,000 mr) in one year. This dose is much lower than the dose that would result in detriment to the skin. If you use the dose rate from the model and wore the bead 24 hours a day then the dose to the skin beneath that bead would be about 550 mr in one year. The real hazard with uranium is the internal exposure associated with inhaling or ingesting uranium. So I wouldn’t call your uranium beads “un safe” and I wouldn’t expect any adverse medical effect from wearing the beads. But I wouldn’t crush them up and snort them.

sleepingcat

I dont know if I'm just a huge geek or what..... But I had to look up what you were talking about and it's so gorgeous.

I'm sorry to hear it's made you sick, it's a real shame. ;-;

Even if the beads themselves are just a neenie bit..... it's like heavy metals.

If you have a lot of different exposures, all minimal amounts, your body still carries around the sum of all the exposures, and the totals can get pretty staggering. ><

...Eat lots and lots of chocolate covered raisins for anti-oxidants?

willowfox

HeavensVault said:
But I wouldn’t crush them up and snort them.

Hey! Why not? Sounds like a really great idea, snorting bits of glass and uranium. Wow, a real hot buzz.

Debra

PS HeavensVault, run right down to the local camera shop and get a lead bag--they sell them for film, so it's just the right size for a bead necklace and will keep your hot jewelry segregated nicely, for just a few bucks....

Briar Rose

Ha ha ha! You are so funny. :smiling brightly: :chuckle chuckle:

I got another reply. Looks like the old thread I had on AT, with replies to get rid of the beads was correct. I remember an old thread under 'Chat' and Debra and Papageno both told me to get rid of the beads. Well, I am finally listening.

Now, how do I get rid of them? We have a Well, so I just can't burry them in the yard. Maybe I should just mail everything to the Isotopes company and this guy can dispose of them for me?

My reply tells be the beads may be giving off a dose slightly higher than background radiation. What does that mean if you are exposed to it on a daily basis? Sounds bad to me.

Here is the current reply from International Isotopes, 10/18/2007:

If you send me a few bead I will be able to test it for you. However it may be easier for you if you contacted your local fire department. After 9/11 the Department of Homeland Security began issuing fire and police departments radiation detection equipment. You could also contact a nearby University and they may have the proper detection equipment needed to obtain measurements on your beads. I do not see a link between the beads and stomach problems and arthritis. In the grand scheme of things the dose rate associated with these beads would contribute to a dose slightly above the dose you receive from background radiation.

willowfox

I have been reading up on these uranium beads and glassware and the question that popped into my mind was, "why on earth buy these things in the first place"? They certainly don't look pretty or anything, and knowing that uranium oxide kills, I would not take them even if they were free.

Briar Rose

well, I didn't know about the dangers when I first bought them a long time ago. And I thought the Vaseline glass and the Vaseline glass beads were pretty. I guess they still are very pretty to me.

However, in learning about Crystal Healing, and the properties in minerals, it made me think about the Vaseline glass beaded jewerly I made, and any dangers associated with them.

I don't think that the Vaseline glass beads are going to just kill me, just like that...poofffff I'm gone. But I haven't felt good since I got them, however I was always in good health before I got them. So, maybe there is a slightly relation somewhere.

Lesson learned.

It's a matter of parting with them now. I know I can do it.

sleepingcat

I think they're very beautiful ;-; I want some. But I know my school researched radioactivity in the past, and I'll assume I could still be exposed.

Not worth the risk, I'll keep reminding myself.

otherwise I'd take them off your hands.

Elnor

I had never heard of vaseline glass, and so had a google... found this site:

http://1st.glassman.com/vaselineglass.html

It seems that this technique for colouring glass has been around since possibly the 1830's- who'd have ever thought of colouring glass using uranium?!

It does produce amazing colours, as the pics further down the webpage show.

elnor