The Baseball Spread -- No, it's not for sports

Metafizzypop

Life is a game. And, with that thought in mind, I have come up with a tarot spread based on a game -- baseball.

I feel this spread is especially good for understanding and helping to resolve problems and conflicts in one's life. It's your team against theirs, so to speak. Say you have to go to court for example, and you want to know how things will turn out. Or if a family member is creating havoc in your life, and you want to uncover the reasons for it. Or if a significant other is misbehaving, and you want to know whether you should hang around or leave.

The spread has 11 cards. Here's the layout:

*******9*******
**8*********10**
*****7*5*******
****6*****4****
*******3*******
****11*1*2*****

The positions are based on those of the actual baseball team players on the field. What they represent in the tarot spread fits in with the positions played on the baseball diamond.

Card 1 -- The hitter, the person who's up at bat. This is the significator. It will reflect your (or the querant's) state of mind, state of being, and general attitude in terms of the question asked.

Card 2 -- Catcher. Obstacles. Things that might defeat your cause.

Card 3 -- Pitcher. This is what the world is throwing at you right now. It's the basis/root of the problem you're dealing with. It's the essence of the question.

Card 4 -- First Base. The past.

Card 5 -- Second Base. The present.

Card 6 -- Third Base. The future.

Card 7 -- Short Stop. Ideally, this card should be placed so that it overlaps on cards 5 and 6 at an angle. It represents petty annoyances and distractions that might sidetrack you in reaching your goals. They will only defeat you if you give them more importance than they are worth.

Card 8 -- Left Field. This card represents, you guessed it, whatever might come out of Left Field. Always good to be ready for the unexpected.

Card 9 -- Center Field. This is what is directly ahead of you, within your sight. It represents those things which you know and understand clearly, and which are within your capacity to influence.

Card 10 -- Right Field. Things in your life that can help you, regarding the question you asked.

Card 11 -- Home. Outcome.

I have used this spread many times and I always get very sensible answers. When I first devised it, I was using the Tarot of Baseball (a great deck) and it worked really well, of course. But I find that it works well with any other deck, too. I've used this spread with the Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo, the Housewives Tarot, and the Vertigo Tarot. A little weird, maybe, but so what?