Does anyone have a spread for actors?

BLFO

in order to help an actor understand a role or character...maybe scene?

Maelin

5th Business spread

BLFO, your question really intrigued me. I would not normally go to Tarot for such a question, because I'd think the writer would have built all these influences into the character already, which is a construct, not a real person, but the more I thought about it, the more interesting it got. Thinking back to my favourite author, Robertson Davies, and his novel about the stage, actors, opera etc Fifth Business, here's the suggestion I came up with.

*************4******
*******S 1(sideways to cross S)****
******2*************3****
*************5**************

Go through the deck to find a significator for the role. This will get you thinking about the character. place the card face up.

1st, put a card crossing this, this is the main struggle the character faces, it is the visible struggle within the plot-line

2nd, a card below and to the left, the hidden past, the subconscious influences.

3rd, below and to the right, the views of other characters.

4th, above, to the centre, the aspiration and desire of the character

5th, below the spread, 5th business, the extra un expected influence that sets the pieces in motion.

Good luck!

BLFO

Thanks for the spread. I am taking acting lessons and our teach says that we still have to "direct" ourselves. A great actor maybe directed by the director, but he must learn how to interpret the script very well in order to act properly without need much direction. The director is suppose to be your emotional support system in order to help you add a "little something" to the scene, but he is not there to help teach you how to make the scene work.

I can't wait to try this spread. I have to do a monologue in a few days, too!

BLFO

I must confess that I didn't do this spread after you posted it, because I have been so busy. I wished i did do it, because I am having a hard time studying my character for a scene. Well, I did it tonight and I have great insights on how to develop my character based on the inner motivations she has.

Awesome spread. Great for any actor!