Ace of Cups Crossing

satine

Sometimes it confuses me when I get certain cards "crossing" (or blocking the energy of) another card. I know that it's possible to have too much of a good thing (when the goal is balance) and that there are positives and negatives in each card, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Also, I should point out that I recognize that some crossing cards (depending on the spread) can reinforce the primary card, but I'm speaking here of spreads that define the crossing card as something the resists or inhibits the energy of the first card.

The Ace of Cups, for example, has to do with trusting your inner voice, a powerful emotional opportunity, developing intuition, opening yourself up to others, forgiving, empathizing, feeling emotional, getting rid of negativity, making new bonds, accepting (rather than seizing) life and love... etc. So, how can this card block or inhibit certain other cards?

For example:

Knight of Cups crossed by Ace of Cups
Okay, the Knight of Cups is conflicted between action and dreamy passivity, so in this case does the Ace of Cups "tip the scale" so that there is too much dreaming and not enough action? I'm just wondering if this sounds right or if someone else would interpret this pair differently.

What if the Ace of Cups were crossing VII The Chariot? Then perhaps the person is following his heart when he should be exercising his will?

If the card is "crossing" another card, can we assume that the energy of the card may be inappropriate for the context, or excessive (or even lacking-- which would be more like a shadow or Rx meaning for the card), or otherwise maladaptive (within the context of the other cards), or it wouldn't be crossing at all?

What about the Page of Cups being crossed by the Ace of Cups? These two cards seem so similar; how can one possibly inhibit the other? Again, perhaps just too much of a good thing?

Sorry if this question seems too basic. I'm just trying to make sure I have my mind wrapped around this in the right way... Thanks. :)

Moonbow

All of what you have said above is correct. The Ace of Cups when blocking another card can lead the meaning into excesses and tell the reader to be aware of too much of a good thing that could happen. As you said, it could 'tip the scale'.

A card which crosses another almost tells you to use both cards and read them as one but where the crossing card heavily influences the other one. Its not always read as negative to the first card or blocking it but it's there to cause the reader to pause on the first card, then to think in which way the crossing card could be causing that pause.

The Ace of Cups is not just the initial card, the seed and the new. It also brings to mind a sense of the whole, everything together in one place. So, when covering the Page of Cups it could be a warning not to be reckless and impatient (Page) but to look at the whole picture. It's a little difficult to put into words without a situation or question but thinking more about what the Ace of Cups represents helps in understanding how it can influence another card.

Moonbow*

balenciaga

The card that crosses pos. 1, is typically read as "your burden" or what opposes you in card #1. So it can be read that the atmosphere in general is too emotional, esp. regarding "the message" of the page of cups or the way you communicate right now.

starrystarrynight

Of course, it depends upon the question/rest of the spread, etc. but how about this:

If the Knight of Cups (RWS, I'm supposing, not Thoth) is an actual person who is affecting the seeker (offering to "sweep her off her feet", say...), then perhaps the Ace is there to remind the seeker that this is only potential love she is looking at...that one has to walk before she can run (or ride away into the sunset :).)

I could see that it might be there to remind the seeker that she needs to love herself before buying into the dream-lover scenario where someone else can provide that romantic adventure she would like to be a part of.

satine

These are all great possibilities and it is helping me to think this through. Perhaps I was thinking too literally in terms of the energy of the second card "blocking, inhibiting, or resisting" the first card. Even if the spread defines the crossing card in such a way, I have to be flexible in the way in which I view the relationship between the primary and crossing cards. I really like that wording of viewing the second card as "reminding" the sitter of something having to do with the first card... I don't use a lot of spreads that have crossing cards, but this is good to think about for when I do. Thanks! :)