Tarot in the Middle Ages History

Amaya

Well I'm not exactly sure if this thread is supposed to be in this section, but I don't know where it actually belongs. And if it's supposed to be else where I would love it if someone would move it.

Ok so I'm doing divination practices in the middle ages for a school project.

How popular was tarot in the middle ages?

What were some common decks back then?

How many people would use/oppose tarot usage? (Just as an estimate from history)

If anyone has any other information on tarot in the middle ages I would really be grateful for it. :)

frelkins

Hi A:

Tarot was invented in the middle ages, as you know, in Italy. It was then a card game for gambling, popular among the nobility. Those early cards were handpainted by respected artists and gilded. They were valuable objects to amuse rich ladies and gentlemen. All the factual info you will need about tarot is at http://trionfi.com/. Tarot was not then used for divination, so you will not be able to really include it in your work.

Good luck with your school project,

F

Sophie

frelkins said:
Tarot was invented in the middle ages, as you know, in Italy. It was then a card game for gambling, popular among the nobility. Those early cards were handpainted by respected artists and gilded. They were valuable objects to amuse rich ladies and gentlemen. All the factual info you will need about tarot is at http://trionfi.com/. Tarot was not then used for divination, so you will not be able to really include it in your work.
Weeeeellll - yes and no. We have no direct evidence it was used for fortune-telling as was the case later (18th century being the first certain mention of tarot used for fortune-telling): but from the beginning, tarot was used in all sorts of ways, not only for gambling - including parlour games and games of imagination approaching divination such as tarocchi appropriati, which were witty little poems about the trumps, or games where people would draw a card, and a poet would make up verses to link that person to that card, including in-jokes. The young men and women that made up the courts of Renaissance Italy had time on their hands and liked playing around with the intellectual ideas of their era (one of which was Christian neo-platonism, in lite form represented throughout the tarot trumps).

The History section of this forum will give you a lot more information, and also people willing to educate (or confuse ;)) you.

But you want to study pure divination in the Middle Ages, you will get more out of studying astrology and dice, which were common forms of divination in Europe. In the countryside, you'd have found a lot of folk divination practices - such as dowsing - many of which are still in use.

Have a look at Robert Place's book on the Tarot (called The Tarot, History, Symbolism and Divination), because he argues for a direct link between dice divination and tarot in the 15th and 16th centuries. He's fairly convincing on symbolical and logical grounds, but I haven't read any counter-arguments.

spoonbender

Yeah, as Frelkins said, tarot decks were primarily used as a game for centuries after their invention in the first half of the 15th century (meaning tarot was invented around the transition period from the Middle Ages to the Early Modern Period). Very little is known about these early decks and about early tarot usage, so I don't think anyone will be able to tell you what decks were common in those days or how many people would have used them. Tarot would have been opposed for the same reasons playing cards were, namely because of the many negative connotations of gambling and of all games of chance. If you are interested in tarot history, you could read books like Dummett's The Game of Tarot, Kaplan's volumes of the Encyclopedia of the Tarot and Place's The Tarot, and there are also many sites around - there's a tarot history page at Tarotpedia, for example. You could also take a look at the historical section right here on AT...

Spoon

frelkins

Fudugazi said:
games of imagination approaching divination such as tarocchi appropriati,

Please offer a link for this, I'd like to see it. The historical appropriati that I have seen in the main do not at all "approach divination." They say nothing about the future or tell fortunes or anything like that at all.

They are overwhelmingly pure rhyming flattery or light teasing based on the cards' images. "The Angel: For Lady So-and-So, She is as beautiful as all divine things, more lovely than a cloud." Or whatever. Etc. Sometimes they amusingly point out character traits. There's no prediction in them generally that I have ever seen.

It was a parlor game with no "supernatural" or "occult element." As "witch burning" began in northern Italy, in the early 15th century (somewhat contemporaneously with Tarot), who would have dared tell fortunes or do divination in public? Not the proper young nobles, I would bet. ;)

If you have a link or reference showing appropriati being used as divination, that would be of real interest to scholars.

Altho' I have been on AT for some time, I will never understand why the fairly clear history on this always has to be hedged. Tarot began as a game of cards. It's really that simple. I can't prove a negative, but as others in this thread note, there's no evidence worthy of scholarship that fortunetelling with Tarot happened in the Middle Ages or Renaissance Italy.

And despite the abuse that will probably come -- as it always seems to on this topic -- I will not comment any more in this thread. :) Best wishes to all.

MikeTheAltarboy

Besides astrology, another form of divination used in the mediaeval period which doesn't get much play these days is Geomancy. You can get a couple good books on it my John Michael Greer, and there are some good internet sites too. Sometimes the word is used for feng-shui, but the mediaeval european practice involved making random lines of dots, and reducing them to even and odd, and interpreting them in a chart.

Since tarot is 15th century, that's really more renaissance that middle ages, isn't it?

Amaya

Thanks everyone for all the input and information ^^

~Amaya-chan

Starling

Just one thing. Tarot was NOT invented in the Middle Ages. The 14th Century in Italy wasn't the Middle Ages. It was early Renaissance. Now it is possible your teacher won't care about that one way or the other, or it is possible you can change the title of your study to refect the early Renaissance and just go forward. But it is also possible that if you write that the 14th Century is the Middle Ages that you will lose a lot of points on your mark for the paper.

When you are dealing with school this isn't just semantics. Using the wrong words can cost you.

The early Renaissance was an interesting time. Lots of religion going on, but a lot of new kinds of thinking as well. Lots of new interest in the ancient world. Lots of breakthroughs in art and science. People who wouldn't have been able to read a century earlier did read. Children went to school who wouldn't have gone a century earlier because the schools didn't exist a cenury earlier. It was a time of huge changes, not just in art and learning, but also socially.

Sophie

frelkins said:
Please offer a link for this, I'd like to see it. The historical appropriati that I have seen in the main do not at all "approach divination." They say nothing about the future or tell fortunes or anything like that at all.
Perhaps you and I don't have the same definition of divination. Divination is not purely fortune-telling - it is far wider than that. Poetry can and frequently is a form of channelled divination, for instance (see William Blake). Divination means - communication with the divine. It can be done in light verse or with wit and jokes (fortunately!). To use fortune-telling and divination interchangeably would be a little like saying that moccasins and shoes were interchangeable: all moccasins are shoes, but not all shoes are moccasins.

We take a very narrow, literalist approach to divination in 21st century Western world, very removed from how it is/was viewed either in traditional societies or indeed, in the European past. Any look at the Middle Ages would have to take it on its own terms - not ours. The poets who wrote tarrochi appropriati made a deliberate effort to fit what was a well-known allegorical figure ("Strength", "Love") to a lady: in the same way that you might look at a Queen of Cups and say to your querent: "that's your mother", during a tarot reading (but in rather more elaborate terms :D). That is what I meant by "approaching divination". (Approaching is not the same as being, of course. It is "akin to", you know?). And undoubtedly tarrochi appropriati was a parlour game: I used the expression myself.

Altho' I have been on AT for some time, I will never understand why the fairly clear history on this always has to be hedged. Tarot began as a game of cards. It's really that simple. I can't prove a negative, but as others in this thread note, there's no evidence worthy of scholarship that fortunetelling with Tarot happened in the Middle Ages or Renaissance Italy.
Although I've been on AT for some time, I will never understand why the literalist plodding approach must dominate the history of what is a complex artefact - far more complex than playing cards, for instance.

Tarot history is sadly overwhelmed by people who are not professional historians and who seem to compensate that fact by being singularly devoid of either imagination or understanding of the periods they are allegedly studying (there are some notable and refreshing exceptions to that). It is also overwhelmed by people who look down on divination and the occult, and are sometimes openly hostile to it (such as Dummett), therefore have a clear agenda.

Simply this: allegory and symbolism were important parts of Medieval and Renaissance thought and experience, as evidenced in images and literature, including the abundant magical literature of the late Middle Ages and Renaissance. Allegory and symbolism turned up everywhere and were rarely, if ever, seen in a secular way. Diviners and magicians relied heavily on them, and magic and divination were daily activities during that entire period, - not least in Italy. They were integral parts of the culture - as integral to them as computers and TVs are to us. To remove from Tarot history allegory and symbolism and all their uses - including light-hearted poetical games that rely heavily on allegory and can be described as "akin to divination" - to ignore that the same allegories and symbols that turned up on tarot cards were used by mages and diviners: all this is not only narrow-minded, it is, simply, bad history.

greenbeans

don't know if you've time for any more research but...

hullo! I don't know much about tarot history but this book is a good start (so I hear!)

http://tinyurl.com/33wnzu

I also like Tarot: history, symbolism and divination by Robert Place

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/56370055&referer=brief_results.

It talks about how the (to us) mysterious imagery of the tarot came from the art and philosophy common at the time eg the trionfi processions. But that might not be relevant to your project.

As you can see from the comments above there's quite a bit of debate about whether tarot was used for fortune telling and divination way back then...personally I think it may well have been but its hard to prove it...and if its a history project you need to have reliable sources as evidence.

there are quite a few general history books that talk about other forms of divination, with full evidence that they most definitely WERE used...could you widen the topic to include astrology etc?