Genealogy Spread

rainwolf

Celticnoodle requested (well, a while ago) a spread on genealogy and it took me a while to think of how to make this work (and an aim, at that). I finally came up with a few variations on the same spread.

Well first off, I thought two layouts could be appropriate for this subject. One is in the shape of a tree (like classic genealogy layouts), and the other was more of a pedigree. Speaking of that, I made a pedigree spread a while ago, but looking back at it, that was more appropriate for problems that surrounded one person.

I feel this spread is more appropriate for exploring your family history and several aspects of it. A few possibilities it could be used for is traits, origins, reasons for immigration/movement, and lifestyle. Traits and lifestyle seemed to be the most useful though. For a question, "What are some traits/What were the lifestyles-- of my ancestors" could be used.

Tree layout:

.............|..............

I can't draw lines, but if you connect 3 and 6, and draw a line for 8,9, and 10, that would represent the parents and kids, respectively. Same for 5 and 7, and 11-13. That means 1 and 2 would be parents of 3-5.

The other way is:

.....1--2...............3--4.
.......|....................|...
....|---|..........|---|---|
....5....6-------7....8....9
................|................
...........|----|----|.......

This shows the union of two families, starting with 1,2 and 3,4. Their kids 5,6 and 7,8,9. One child from each family, 6,7, had kids 10-12.

On to the reading.

Reading style 1:
1. Shuffle all 78 cards, and start laying down one card per spot.
2. Each spot should be assigned to a particular person

Reading style 2:
1. Take out enough court cards to assign to each person. Match a court to each person as you remember them (works best when it is people you know).
2. Shuffle and lay out one card per spot. Compare the courts that you picked to the cards that fell on the spot. This may give insights to the question you asked, important events in their life, or many other possible things.
3. As an option, place some cards on the connecting lines between people to get a comment on that relationship.

A general note. It may be helpful to get a large piece of paper, and write down positions and lines. This will make the reading a lot easier to follow. Also, I know this spread is a little general, but add things you see fit to narrow down what you want to know, including (but not limited to) excluding parts of a family (if you only want to know one side), certain people (if they are not playing a pivotal role), and if you are looking way back, stop at the oldest person you can remember so that more cards are available to extended family.

Please feel free to make long posts detailing what you have done different, what works better, or new reading styles. I think I have provided a basic frame at best, and there are many ways to fill it in.

RW