Court cards

BlueRoamer

The court cards still puzzle me in readings. Does anyone have a good link on how to interpret the thoth court cards, is there an overarching theme or story that I should look into?

I get the air of fire etc..but the subtleties of each card evade me...

how to interpret the court cards?

Are they the querent?
People in the querents lives?
Ways the querent is or should be acting?

It seems rather vague in the interpretation.

Also does anyone have a good description of the minor arcana numbers and how they change under the elements?

7Nica7nor7

Have you seen this book?

http://www.the-equinox.org/vol1/no8/eqi08016.html

Also this image can help you out a little.
http://www.corax.com/tarot/zodiac.html

I am not going to help you much with the court cards because i am still a little confuse about them myself.

Generally wen one court cart comes in the first position it means the querent, the same in other positions where you expect something that blocks, or something that helps the querent, with the exception of the princesses hope this get you going.

And i will use this help as an excuse to make my own questions about the court cards in here.

If the princesses represents feelings or mind states, how does Thoth deck represents kids? or babies? any suggestions will be appreciated.

When we are talking about court cards wee can find 3 deferent ways (as far as i know) to interpret this cards. By the zodiac sign, by hair and eye color, and by their meanings in the Book of T. When should i use one or other? or should i use them all? does this has something to do with the dignified ill dignified issue?

Also Matthers had skin colors realted to this court cards.
Some other systems use the next cart to tell if the court card means a male or female, odd for female, even for male. I don't know why but this makes a lot of sense to me if you use the zodiacal attribution.

Can some one help a little bit with a bunch of stupid practical questions like this? :D

Teheuti

I'd like to recommend a book written by Tom Little and myself: _Understanding the Tarot Court_. There's a pretty good discussion of the differences among the Thoth, Waite and Golden Dawn court cards, plus a section on key ideas for the Thoth and GD courts, and another section on using Elemental Dignities with Court Cards.

Mary

archer1

website

I visited the website in the previous post it is an interesting place. The way the wheel is set it puts me born on March 23 as the queen of cups along with my wife, interesting to say the least....Good stuff...

ravenest

BlueRoamer said:
The court cards still puzzle me in readings. Does anyone have a good link on how to interpret the thoth court cards, is there an overarching theme or story that I should look into?

Id start with the court section in Book of Thoth for the Thoth deck.
BlueRoamer said:
I get the air of fire etc..but the subtleties of each card evade me...

how to interpret the court cards?

Are they the querent?
People in the querents lives?
Ways the querent is or should be acting?

Yes. All of the above depending on the specific situation, sometimes they can mean other things again, depending on the situation, eg; Queen, Knight, Prince, Princess all of a different suit. 4 Princes I got once for someone in a reading, A queen trine (3) ,A knight and Queen in opposition etc.

It seems rather vague in the interpretation.
BlueRoamer said:
Also does anyone have a good description of the minor arcana numbers and how they change under the elements?

Again the Book of Thoth, read the four sixes, the four sevens, etc. then the seprate ones going via suit and following number.

read up on the four worlds/suits/ elements. and the saphiroth of the Tree of Life and work your combunations out.

ravenest

7Nica7nor7 said:
When we are talking about court cards wee can find 3 deferent ways (as far as i know) to interpret this cards. By the zodiac sign, by hair and eye color, and by their meanings in the Book of T. When should i use one or other? or should i use them all? does this has something to do with the dignified ill dignified issue?
Deffinatly, I believe every card and group of cards in a reading needs to be looked at holisticly.

ZenMusic

I second the recommendation for the Book of Thoth, Crowley is really excellent ... the descriptions are very distinguishing the character of each court (based on .. elemental, astrological, YHVY Tree of Life) .. do a couple a day, maybe read a 2nd text (Duquette, Snuffin), and contemplate each card, look closely at the details...

it will become very clear.. each is very distinct
and the courts are very different than Majors
(which are very different than Minors) .. you can find these characteristics/energies of the courts from within each card (guided by the Book of Thoth and contemplation) before doing the association with the physical characteristics of the querant (and other persons); you may arrive at that (the courts may represent a "Who" in the reading), but be open)

chriske

Great thread. I like to see the Court cards purely as people and follow the astrological date range. I know this seems very superficial but when you apply peoples birthdays to Court cards, readings can be quite remarkable. Start with people you know, immediate family first including yourself and you will find a host of corresponding traits. Lon DuQuette recommends "Astrology For Adults" by Joan Quigley and I have found that to be excellent advice when dealing particularly with Court cards.