Jumping cards

Venessa

Ok as long as I have been doing tarot, I have very rarely read the cards that actually jumped out of the deck as I was shuffling them, because I wasn't sure on how to read them exactly. I also wasn't sure if it was me or if it was the cards. Any one have any suggestions on this?

rwcarter

There are a number of ways you can handle those cards. You can take note of them, put them back in the deck as you continue to shuffle and then pay special attention to them if they turn up in your spread. You can put them off to the side as you continue to shuffle and lay out your spread and at the end look at the jumpers to see what they were trying to tell you in relation to he question asked. Or you can ignore them.

I don't think I've ever had more than 2 cards jump out at one time (and that was only once), so I've never had to deal with more jumpers than that. For yourself, you should set a limit. More jumpers than that and you chalk it up to poor shuffling on your part; few jumpers than that and you chalk it up to a message from the tarot that you need to pay attention to.

HTH,
Rodney

berrieh

What I Do:

For a single jumper, I leave it out and lay the spread.

For two-three jumpers at different times (not all at once), I write them down and set them back in the spread.

For more than 3 jumpers at different times, I hold them out for positions in the spread. Draw the remaining number of cards left, and I shuffle them to figure out what position everything belongs in. (This is a little weird. I've never met anyone else who did this so far.)

For cards jumping at multiple times (two or more falling out together), I re-start entirely, center myself, and shuffle again. If multiple jumpers happen again, I put the cards away, as I am clearly too scattered to ask that question at this time.

These are just the weird things I do. I don't even entirely remember why. :)

celticnoodle

I never payed much attention to them at first myself, until finding out here that lots of readers do. so I decided to also. it amazed me how these 'jumpers' really turned out to be significant.

I now read them first- and then put all of them back into the deck and re-shuffle them (or have client do so) well. Then we start all over w/laying out the cards for a reading. So, basically, my client gets two readings for the price of one. generally when this happens there is only one or two jumpers, and on rare occasions more then two.

so whatever you plan to do, ignore them, read them separately, keep them separate and include them into the planned reading---I feel is up to the reader and is the right thing to do. as with anything else in tarot-follow your gut feelings.

Pollianna

I always take a note of them and put them back in the pack. I never leave them aside as they may fall in a position in my spread to help me. Thats what i do :)

Aladdin

"Jumpers"

An interesting subject. As RW says it could be down to some sort of lapse in concentration whilst shuffling. If the mind is tired and the body has flu then i have learned not to do ! Recently a whole section fell out for me with only the 8 of rods and Empress presenting a face up visage which i wrote down.
A well respeced tarot reader in Torquay told me "what falls to the floor comes to the door". Not entirely sure what this is capable of meaning but i try to bind this into any reading. Cards falling face down i simply replace non-reversed.

magpie9

I read the jumpers. It's very rare that they don't have something significant to add to the subject or the reading. I put them next to the spread, and read it as an overall or subject card...whenever the impulse strikes me, not at any specific time. I also take it as a "sign" that the deck is eager & has lots to say on the subject and considers it important.

rwcarter

Aladdin brings up a good point. I only ever pay attention to the jumpers that land face-up. If they fall face-down, I also just put them back into the deck.

trinity8

Isn't it interesting the commonality of how we all deal with these jumpers? I too keep out a singleton. If more than that I glance at them and put them back in. I do find that if the cards are feeling like they want to jump all over the place it is because there is a lot of energy in that particular reading and I tend to shuffle until they settle into a coherent pattern, integrating all the information so that it can come out in the chosen cards in a way that makes sense and isn't disjointed (like this sentence!). As I continue to shuffle they settle down and the reading proceeds with more clarity.

Venessa

thank you everyone for your responses, I have found it quite helpful and will definately pay more attention to those cards that fall out. I never felt like I had the right perspective on this situation, and now I feel much more comfortable now that i have an idea on how to read them.

venessa