Psycards Study Group - 19. Peace

Master_Margarita

Here is this deck's representation of the concept of peace, which is in the archetype suit (an odd place for it, perhaps). This is a card that will not create associations of peace for many non-Christians. As one with a Christian background myself, I would have liked to have seen a more universal symbol as a symbol of peace on this card.

That having been said, the image on this card is pretty. I use that word deliberately.

.traveller.

Light, as the first act of God’s creation, was seen as the purest manifestation of God’s presence, and stained glass windows come to life only when illuminated by light. To medieval theologians, the vibrant holy images depicted in the windows were therefore brought to life by God’s presence.

Few people were able to read or write in the Middle Ages. Stained glass windows told the stories of the Bible and of the Saints in pictures, and guides, perhaps the monks themselves, would explain their content to the pilgrims. The Latin inscriptions in many panels acted as aides memoires to those literate guides.

More in a bit...

Wikipedia said:
Destruction and continuation
At the Reformation, in England large numbers of these windows were smashed and replaced with plain glass. The Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII and the injunctions of Oliver Cromwell against 'abused images' (the object of veneration) resulted in the loss of thousands of windows. Few remain undamaged; of them the windows in the private chapel at Hengrave Hall in Suffolk are among the finest. With the latter wave of destruction the traditional methods of working with stained glass died and were not to be rediscovered in England until the early 19th century.

Pao

The only thought that comes to mind with this one is marriage. I feel its a wedding day and the bride is getting to the church. Kinda one sided for me. :confused:

.traveller.

Ah, see I focus on the glass and the light. You can't see through to the outside, yet light can pass through, so it makes me think of a protected space... a sanctuary.

The cards that make me think of weddings are Friendship, Beauty, and Prison. Not necessarily together, just little things that I see in them.

Pao

I see what you're saying about the light coming in but not seeing outwards. Interesting. I gota sit with these for a while longer because they have one sided meanings for me :(

Prison makes you think of Wedding? I guess it can be to some people right? Actually i do know one girl who that would fit for her.

Master_Margarita

.traveller. said:
Ah, see I focus on the glass and the light. You can't see through to the outside, yet light can pass through, so it makes me think of a protected space... a sanctuary.

The cards that make me think of weddings are Friendship, Beauty, and Prison. Not necessarily together, just little things that I see in them.

Hm. That's a very good observation, about not seeing through to the outside, but light passing through.

I just wish this image wasn't so overtly religious. I dislike the possible implication that peace comes solely--or even primarily through the sort of religion that builds this sort of building. As lovely as cathedrals are.

.traveller.

It's not so much the word Prison, it's more the association with the phrase "ball and chain". I heard that so often when I was growing up that it stuck.