Does tarot attract earth-bound spirits?

satine

In Mary Ann Winkowski's book When Ghosts Speak, she mentions more than a dozen times that using tarot cards (she lumps this in with "playing with a ouiji board" or dabbling in black magic) can and does attract earth-bound spirits (aka ghosts). She also makes suggestions of how to prevent this from happening, but continues to reiterate that it's a risk that goes along with "reading cards" and other such things. What do you guys think? Do any of you take precautions (white light, sea salts, quince seeds...) against this? This is all completely foreign to me, so I'm sorry if I seem ignorant on this topic. I won't go into the full story here, but I have a very personal reason for asking about this. Suffice it to say that we undoubtedly have at least one earth-bound spirit in our home right now, and we're having a number of issues associated with it... I suspect we have more than one spirit here, and I had always assumed that they were here in the house before we ever moved in (the house was built in 1886, after all), but now I am feeling very foolish if I have unknowingly attracted (any of) these earth-bound spirits. Perhaps I haven't. I really don't know what to think, because this is the first I've heard of this. If ghosts are attracted to tarot-- why?? I was attracted to tarot as a potential psychological tool and nothing else; I don't understand why this would attract earth-bound spirits. Okay, thanks in advance for your thoughts. Please- no tongue-lashings for getting into something I didn't understand well enough, etc. I'm really not up to it. Thanks.

6 Haunted Days

Yes, I think it can. But not as heavily as other practices obviously. I would suppose a deeper tarot reading with intent can open portals and make the setting right for a spirit looking to make contact on this plane easier to get heard.

Just a casual reading though, I would think it highly unlikely.

serenaserendipity

i personally believe spirits can help us see things that are otherwise unseen...i wouldn't worry about this too much as long as you pray and ground yourself before doing the tarot reading... the spirits might even wish to help you. if you are worried about malevolent spirits try to say prayers on their behalf to ease their suffering.

s.

afrosaxon

The cards may tap into whatever energy the spirits have while they remain earthbound.

It also depends on the deck. The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot specifically indicates that the lwa (spirits) are worked with through the deck. *Shrug* The deck definitely has a personality, and the spirits haven't made my life any more difficult (they are rather direct, actually! ;) ).

(((Satine)))

sharpchick

I have some difficulty with the term "earth-bound spirit."

As I conceive it, the spirit realm is vastly different than what we know in our own incarnation here on earth - starting with, but certainly not limited to, time and space. That phrase has always seemed to me to place human limitation on spirit, which in my view existed long before any particular spirit chose to take human form.

So I wouldn't get all excited about what you read in the book. But that's just my opinion.

Dancing Bear

I also have a difficulty with the term Earth bound spirit, and Tarot being lumped with black magic...Putting it all together it all sounds pretty darn scary..

but lets separate it all , into areas it should be... Tarot as you know is not black magic..or even along the lines of... If you intentionally want to connect to spirit through your Tarot , then I would have to say yes you can connect to spirit through your Tarot.. whether they be grounded,(being tied to a particular place , person or object on a pretty permanent basis) or in visitation ( a spirit who has memories of and likes to visit from time to time. to the place, people or object) or none of the above( as in you try connecting to spirit for someone else and the spirit has no connection to you, place or an object).. But then we have to look at all this way too!! Tarot is only the medium we use.. It is us who do the conjuring and connection, Tarot is just the medium we use to help us interpret the messages...The Tarot card itself cannot alone attract spirit...

If you have noisy Spirit in your home, they are seeking attention, you would not have attracted them Unknowngly,there needs to be intent!! OR they were there in the first place.. I connect to spirit weekly and have not attracted any spirit to my home, only for the session of communication then they go..they do not hang around, unless they are a relative then they stay for a nosey for a while LOL!! It is like a blood link gives them an open ticket LOL!!

I would call what you had as Grounded spirit, Spirit that is tied to a place, person or object..for what ever reason it has, maybe they felt happy there, or had a tragic death and cant let go.. many many reasons why they would be there...

what sort of stuff are they doing?

a_shikhs

Tarot definitely attracts spirits towards us. I have experienced it many times.

Recently I did a tarot reading for a stranger and noticed that there was a lot of negativity in her house and a spirit man living in her house causing all the fights and negative energy. As soon as she left, I started feeling that same energy in my house and instantly knew that this spirit was hovering in my house waiting for me to release him. I could see him and feel his energy very strongly and had to release him that very night.

I have started seeing and releasing spirits after I got into tarot and whenever I do a reading for a complete stranger, I have to be very careful in protecting myself and my environment as tarot is a portal for spirits to get in contact with you. Sometimes, when I'm unable to release them, I take my aunt's help who then releases them into the light.

For me, spirits get attracted to me whenever I do a tarot reading for others. Thus, I have been warned not to read for anybody or for myself for a while till I get spiritually strong and can protect myself and my surroundings well. But there are many ways to get rid of noisy spirits. Just remember that spirits feed on our energy and fear. The more we fear them, the stronger they get. You HAVE to protect yourself while performing any kind of occult.

satine

sharpchick said:
I have some difficulty with the term "earth-bound spirit."

As I conceive it, the spirit realm is vastly different than what we know in our own incarnation here on earth - starting with, but certainly not limited to, time and space. That phrase has always seemed to me to place human limitation on spirit, which in my view existed long before any particular spirit chose to take human form.

So I wouldn't get all excited about what you read in the book. But that's just my opinion.

I believe the point, though, is that a ghost is in fact "limited" in the way in which you described. Ghosts are not enlightened, nor do they have any wisdom or insight that a spirit that visits from the other side would have. There is a very clear distinction between a spirit that is still bound to a half-life on earth as a ghost and a spirit that has "crossed over" and chooses to visit. I don't think that the term earth-bound spirit places any limitation on the human spirit, in general. It's just a term that describes the sad circumstance in which a spirit remains tied to his or her earthly life. Of course spirits existed long before a particular incarnation. To acknowledge that some spirits get confused or misguided as a result of a particularly confusing life or upsetting death does not in any way (in my opinion) diminish the eternal or special nature of the human spirit in its pure form.

satine

Dancing Bear said:
I also have a difficulty with the term Earth bound spirit, and Tarot being lumped with black magic...Putting it all together it all sounds pretty darn scary..

I would call what you had as Grounded spirit, Spirit that is tied to a place, person or object..for what ever reason it has, maybe they felt happy there, or had a tragic death and cant let go.. many many reasons why they would be there...

what sort of stuff are they doing?

Earth-bound.... Grounded.... I think this is a question of symantics. Inconsequential.

I disagree that a human has to have the intent to attract a ghost (I'll just use this term). Some ghosts, as you mentioned yourself, attach themselves to particular items, and they stay with these items to watch after them. So, if you furnish your house with all antiques, you may have brought a ghost home with any one or more of these. I would not call this "intent" to attract a ghost.

On the other topic, I absolutely agree that reading tarot cards should NOT be lumped in with all of that other stuff.

Moon mind

My experience is that ghost or the spirits of people who pass on can come in into reading and (with Tarot or other medium)
Some times it is the intension to do so -- as reading that will conect the querent with the decese one.

In other readings -- using Tarot -- I work with 'guides' or angels or whatever you may want to call 'it'.(or Higher self)
It depends how grounded and calm you are to make this connection CLEAR to get as much information that is healing and useful.

Earth bound spirits - the term in my knowledge means spirits that are connect to Earth : Fairies , unicorns, elfs ... so on. They can get tricky but i don't ussually atract them by Tarot.

I think this book that you mentioning is kinda streched to make everything more mysterious or fearfull. If you do reading and you have fear -- you can atract information that is not pure or healing.

well that is my 0.02

hope this helps