I'm in love with a Frenchman! (and his name is Jean Noblet)

elvenstar

Well, the travelling Noblet was with me recently and I have totally fallen for it. Not pretty, but so very charming, honest, a bit naughty, and what a sense of humour... Looking at it didn't do anything for me initially, but then I tried reading with it and that was it, I was taken :bugeyed:

I had never done any readings with a TdM before and while I didn't have any kind of expectations, good or bad, I was very surprised at how this deck spoke to me. The Majors felt very 'big' and deep and multidimensional, while being simple and clear at the same time. The Courts are very expressive in a weird way. And the pips just made sense.

I know a lot of you have already known all this for a very long time, but I just had to share. Consider me converted! :D

Sophie

Well, you've just done a fantastic reading for me with dear Jean - and I can only say, you're a natural! Next step - the quays of the Seine for you!

Enjoy your romance :love: - The French do it best, you know, and the Parisians best of all :laugh:

He's a 17th Century artisan, and not a gentilhomme - cheeky and humorous is in his nature, as is a mix of philosophy and down-to-earth attitude. His deck reminds me of the good old farces of Molière: not that author's more sophisticated work, but his vigorous comedies - full of popular wisdom and irreverence, and very big on character.

jmd

How so very wonderful!

And there's so much more to come!!!

Foucault

It's even more difficult to explain that I'm in love with the same Frenchman! ;)

Those naughty, naughty French.

I'm enjoying the ride too.

Graham.

elvenstar

Yes, my feelings exactly Fudugazi. You described it so well, that's the impression I got too. It's no surprise I guess then, I seem to have a thing for artisans ;)

Foucault, love knows no barriers! I'm happy to be in such great company in my enthusiasm, jmd :)

Somehow I knew there would be a time for me to introduced into the world of the Marseille and what better way!

Moonbow

Glad to hear it elvenstar! You won't regret it either, the journey is so worth the result.

This is a wonderful little deck with so much to give in terms of reading with it. Its adventurous and enlightening. I'm so happy for you.

teomat

I got my Noblet last week, and I'm totally smitten with it too!

However I do have a fondness for the Conver style too, and was interested to read in the Noblet's LWB that Florney undertook a restoration of the 1760 Conver back in 1996. Does anyone know how far he got with this, and if he's planning to release a full deck at some point?

jmd

I frankly suspect that even if he was to complete the trump-only set, it would be quite some time before a full deck would come out.

Jean-Claude has also more recently put his hand-to-pen-to-paper and recently published his book - in French.

Personally, I'd like to see an early Bologna brought to the same detail and finish - there are already a number of (though photographic) reproductions of the Conver (LoScarabeo and Héron amongst others), so though I would certainly really appreciate Flornoy's meticulous craftsmanship on the Conver, I'd like to see other decks emerge before that one (but that's probably just me).

HearthCricket

I do think that if any deck is going to convert you to actually liking the Marseille style, it will be the Noblet. It has such a personal touch to it because of the way it was created, but also the bright colours, the feel of the cards and the small and intimate size certainly is very charming in its own way. Enjoy your Noblet! :)