new way of doing reversals

SunChariot

Hopefully I can explain this well and don't confuse people more.

A few weeks ago I got bored and invented a new way to use reversals. It's been working well for me. In case anyone else wants to try it I will add it here, if anyone does let me know how it goes. :grin:

Majors=no change in meaning (since this is implicite in this method, I have found that none of the Majors have come up reversed anyway)

The Minors (Ace through 10) refer back to the Majors as follows:

Minors upright:
Ace=Major Arcana 1 (Magician)
2=Major Arcana 2 (High Priestess)
3=Major Arcana 3 (The Empress)
4=Major Arcana 4 ...
5=Major Arcana 5
6=Major Arcana 6
7=Major Arcana 7
8=Major Arcana 8
9=Major Arcana 9
10=Major Arcana 10

PLUS the meaning of the suit. Eg. the 2 of Cups would be about intuitive feelings, the 2 of Swords, about intuitive thoughts...

The Minors reversed
Ace=Major Arcana 11 (Justice/Strength)
2=Major Arcana 12 (Hanged Man)
3=Major Arcana 13 (Death)
4=Major Arcana 14 ...
5=Major Arcana 15
6=Major Arcana 16
7=Major Arcana 17
8=Major Arcana 18
9=Major Arcana 19
10=Major Arcana 20

again of course combined with the meanings of the suits. Eg 8 of Cups reversed = romantic feelings (the Moon card is always about romance for me). 8 of Wands reversed = creating something romantic, or creating a romantic atmosphere...

Then
The first court card reversed Eg Page, Princess or whatever it is called in the deck you use refers back to the Fool. So the Princess or Cups (or whatever it is in your deck reversed could be about taking a chance on love, or risking showing your true feelings to someone and trusting it will go well...

And

The last court card reversed Eg King, Father, Knight (or whatever it is in the deck you are using) refers back to MA 21-the Universe. So the King of Wands show that the querent has can create or has created (depending on the question) the best of all worlds in the situation....

etc and so forth.

Does that make sense to anyone? Hope I explained it well. I was fooling around and invented it. But it has been working well for me, so I thought maybe someone would want to see it.

Babs

rwcarter

Intriguing. Gotta let the one percolate over the weekend....

teomat

Thanks for this SunChariot.

For a while now, I've been feeling a bit dubious about using numeroloy for reading the minors (I'm using a Marseille-type deck at the moment) - there seems to be many different types you can follow (Pythagoras, Chaldean etc). However I really want some method that uses the tarot structure itself to interpret the minors, rather than use an 'outside' source.
I don't really like the method of using just the major cards 1-10 for the minors, as I don't see why they're more important than the others.

Your method sounds intriguing! Sounds like just the thing I've been looking for!

I might forego using the Fool and World for the courts - to me, these cards are 'above' all the others in the deck - and instead just use the reversed meanings for the courts. I'm not sure if I should read the majors reversed (I agree with you and think these cards can show both positive and negative meanings in their upright position), but if I'm reversing the courts, it seems a bit unbalanced to not do this with the majors (well, sort of anyway!).

Thanks again :)

star-lover

Very interesting :) Gives the minors a whole new set of possible meanings which seem to make sense in context of their original ones when you try them out - I like it! :D It's very creative and gives you material to brainstorm, enrich readings with more possibilities to explore

So in theory a reversed card can have a positive or negative meaning depending on what meaning you pick for the major it corresponds to in this system? I was wondering why 9 of swords would be good with the sun, then it dawned on me means brighter mental state ahead, 3 of coins reversed / death - possible retirement due to ill health, etc etc

What about the Knights and Queens?

star-lover

bump for interest

rwcarter

star-lover said:
What about the Knights and Queens?
It's not my system (although I do find it interesting - thanks teomat for bumping this thread cause I'd forgotten about it), but looking it over again, it makes sense to me that both the Pages and Knights would refer back to the Fool while both the Queens and Kings would refer to the World.

Rodney

star-lover

it was me who bumped the thread :D

i didnt see that babs said page/knight is the fool and queen/king is the world either

rwcarter

star-lover said:
i didnt see that babs said page/knight is the fool and queen/king is the world either
No, you were right the first time. In her original description she spoke about the Page and the King. But then you asked about the Knight and Queen. I was saying that it makes sense to me that the Knights would be treated the same as the Pages and that the Queens would be treated the same as the Kings, considering how the rest of the reversals system was laid out.

I'm sure Babs will pop in at some point with the definitive answer since it's her system.

Rodney

star-lover

i hope so because i dont see the pages similar to the knights or queens to kings

anyway doesn't matter too much
i got really excited with the system in general

the courts are always the spanner in the works of any system

SunChariot

Hey glad to see the interest in my idea. :grin:

As for myself, the way I did it, the meaning of the middle two court cards (whatever they are in your deck) remain unchanged in a reversal, just as the Major Arcana would. I thought of that too at first, having the first two Court Cards refer back to the Fool and the last two to the World. But then that would increase double the odds of a Fool or World card reference coming up that of the other cards if you know what I mean.

There are only 4 2's, 4 3's, 4 4's....in the Minor Arcana. But if you combine the Prince and Princess as the Fool, then there are 8 times you could get the Fool and the same for the World if you use both the last Court cards for teh World. So I just stuck with making the first Court card the Fool and the last one the World.

That is just what I do. Feel free to adapt the system to fit your needs. You can even invent a new meaning for the middle two court cards, which is giving me an idea as I type this!

I might designate one to mean "not in the querents best interest to know" as in there is a karmic lesson that they are meant to learn on their own and knowing the answer now would interfere. And maybe the other Court card to mean Divine assistance or Divine timing.

I wonder how that would work out attached to the meaning of the suits? I will have to try that and see...Like the Queen of Swords (or whatever the third Court card is in your deck, would mean that your thoughts are Divinely guided right now. Or Cups, that your feelings are, Or Wands, that you are being divinely guided to create something in your life. Or for the second Court cards in your deck with the suit: Cups=there is something you need to think out on your own and learn the lesson from that. Wands=You have to listen to your feelings/heart now and not be handed the answer by the cards....just follow your heart.

Make what you want of the middle two cards. Don't mind me I am just thinking out loud now ROLF Free free to invent whatever meanings for those two Court cards that you all think will add meaning and relevance to your readings.

As for positive of negative cards....someone asked... I personally do not beleive in negative cards, the cards are always there to give us the best informations to help us live our best lives. Sometimes we hear things we don't like, but that's because when we ask for truth we get it. It's not the fault of the poor cards. And sometimes we need to know, so we can fix things.

Hope all the above made sense, I'm not at all sure how well I expressed my thoughts.LOL

I just up and invented this system one day. But if anyone tries it let me know how it works for them.

Babs