Aquarian: Strength

Queen of Disks

Some of the Majors in the Aquarian Tarot are different then the RWS based decks, and the Strength card is definately one of them. My initial reaction to this card was "Huh?" The card shows a man who has a sword and wears fancy clothes. Next to him is his dog.

And that's it.

I"ve seen pictures of the Visconti Strength card, which shows Hercules clubbing the Nemean Lion (some modern decks have that too), which seemed to emphasize brute strength. (While the RWS Strength card emphasizes spiritual strength, to me anyway.) The Aquarian card to me shows more of the brute strength without being dramatic about it. Yet the man has his dog there. The man probably loves his dog, and the dog is probably devoted to the man (soldier?). A tough guy still capable of love?

OK folks, what do you think?

karenquilter

Strength card

The man is definitely a soldier. The sword on one side, the buckler on the other (a small shield which is strapped to the non-sword arm), the hat, & the jacket. Chevrons on the sleeve denote rank, & the high collar is to protect the neck from sword cuts, especially from people on horseback. This is where the U.S. Marines got their nickname "Leathernecks", from the high leather collar on their uniforms.

The LWB says "Courage, magnanimity, persistence, patience, spiritual power." Soldiers are courageous, hounds are persistent, & I like the imagery. It takes strength to be a soldier, not just physical strength, but moral (what do you do with all that power?) & character (not to run when you're scared). Dogs are well known for being faithful, another strength.

Aristede

I've always loved the Strength card in the Aquarian deck. I would agree that the man is a soldier.

The dog is a domesticated animal, and I've always thought if him as representing the man's control over his animal nature--sort of like the woman holding the jaws of the lion in RWS.

Does anyone know the significance of the cluster of triangles on the dog's mane?

karenquilter

They could just be the Art Deco styling of the deck, and not have any significance.

There is a cartoon in the current issue of the New Yorker, where an artist is assuring a buyer that his paintings don't mean anything at all. I had to laugh, I've had people tell me all sorts of meanings that they've read into my artwork that I never put there. Beauty isn't the only thing in the eye of the beholder.

Logiatrix

Aristede said:
...The dog is a domesticated animal, and I've always thought if him as representing the man's control over his animal nature--sort of like the woman holding the jaws of the lion in RWS.

Does anyone know the significance of the cluster of triangles on the dog's mane?
Good observation about the dog. The upward-pointing triangle represents "rising energy" and "fiery" forms of expression (according to about.com).

This card reminds me of the strength we have when we are tapped into our own magic, such as when we grow in awareness of our totems, guides, and ancestors. I see the dog as the soldier's totem; his focused gaze is evidence of the inner power he feels when he walks with his totem.

That's what I get from it so far...
:)

Aristede

Logiatrix said:
The upward-pointing triangle represents "rising energy" and "fiery" forms of expression (according to about.com).

This idea makes sense to me considering that the Strength card is associated astrologically with Leo which is a fire sign.

Fire is symbolic of passion, desire, creativity, etc. which also fits nicely with the idea of 'tapping our own magic.'

MariposAzl

I don't think much more can be said about this card, except I think with the first impression of the "brute force" feel of the soldier, it is nicely contrasted by the idea that he has his dog who's obviously cared for dressed up in his garb. It's remenicent of the traditional RW Stregnth card that speaks of gentle force. The dog and the idea of the soldier caring for him tones down the "harshness" of the soldier, implying a softer dare I say tender side to his appearance at first glance. I can imaginge them relating to each other, playing together, and it brings a gentleness to the meaning of the card for me.

Umbrae

Great card!

This is where Palladini's charcoal portraiture really shines. I think the whole character of strength is carried in the soldier’s face.

Just my opinion…

karenquilter

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Glad to have you on the thread.

Gryphon's Kitten

I see some elements that envoke the image of a Roman soilder, with the plums in his helmet and the curve of his chest plate. A soilder that is known for courage, superior tactics and strength of honor.

The dog is also a sighthound, rather then a mastif-like wardog.