1JJ Swiss deck; falling out of fashion?

Le Fanu

How many of you use the 1JJ Swiss tarot?

Im intrigued, as when I first started collecting tarot cards in the early 80s, this was The ubiquitous deck. And I see it quite rarely now though I know its still in print (a bit like the Tarot Classic; another ubiquitous 70s deck which has had a recent posting here). This was - for those who discovered tarot late 70s, early 80s - the most common initiating deck. When you thought of tarot, you thought of this. Yet I hear so little mention of it here now. Not even in the Historical Decks forum. Has it fallen out of fashion? I have a soft spot for this deck, but since there are a number of exquisite Soprafino decks on the market now, I wonder if they have stolen the 1JJ thunder a little?

Im keen to hear if anyone uses the 1JJ as a main reading deck.

6 Haunted Days

I was just thinking of getting this deck. You're right, I used to see it all the time in stores in the mid 80's, 90's. Never see it now! Maybe with the explosion of decks, the buyers for stores think this looks dated?

I always thought it had that charming old-fashioned look to it, I have no idea why I never got it. I think I'll be getting it soon :)

teomat

I guess there could be several reasons why it's not really publicised (or talk-about) much anymore.

Firstly it's got non-scenic pips - which, for a generation that considers the RWS to be the 'traditional' tarot, will put many people off.

Secondly, as you say, the Soprafino's look so much nicer.

And thirdly, well they've changed the French titles to English and have used the term 'Pentacles' for the Coins suit (even though they are obviously coins!). A very silly and totally unnecessary thing to do (and the main reason why I haven't bought this deck)...

jmd

I suspect the dominant reason is the the 1jj is a Besançon-type deck, and that most people who want to use tarot prefer to have the Pope and Papess not replaced by Juno and Jupiter.

Now that Marseille-types are far more readily available, it's more a 'second' option, or one that is important mainly for purposes of comparison (for some of us at least).

Same for the Schaffhouse ('Classic') - the differences are such that if someone expects a Marseille (as they may, by the way, when they buy a version in France that sells it as though it's a Marseille), 'disappointment' may be the result as the suits of swords or cups (or batons, for that matter), or the Hanged Man, or a few other details, are noted as different.

Again, a great deck, especially for comparative purposes, but if one wants a canonical Marseille, neither of those will do.

philebus

The 1JJ is still being used in Switzerland for playing Troccas and Troggu, so I don't think that it will vanish just yet and I wonder if the original language version is still printed for use there. Of course, the old gold-bottomed boxed version still shows up on ebay all the time.

I'm not sure that I would compare it with the Soprafino, the difference in style is like apples and pears to my eyes. However, from the perspective of a game player, the 1JJs size is much more comfortable.

firefrost

Oh, this is all quite mind boggling to this beginner. I've got the Noblet safely tucked under my belt and I've surfed the net trying to compare different decks. I think my next favourite is the Fournier.

I must admit, although I know nothing as yet, I'm not completely happy about cards being replaced at this moment in time. (Pope and Papess replaced by Juno and Jupiter) (She says like she knows what she's talking about!)

Am I opening up a can of worms if I ask which decks replace what?, or at least if this deck replaces anything else?

Le Fanu

No, no- you are not opening up a can of worms, firefrost, its just that we are talking about a deck that was very popular a while back - one of those indispensible decks - and seems to have diminished in popularity, and I was just wondering why (as I am always curious about why people get tired of things, or if indeed it was the case)...

The reason I was comparing it to the Soprafino decks, Philebus, is that as tinted engravings, I suspect they are likely to appeal to a certain "period" aesthetic of tarot.

philebus

I agree with you about the tint there, the 1JJ has the feel of a mudern but traditional pack - like the regional game packs in Italy and Sicily.

No bad can of worms firefrost.

The Besançon replaces the Pope and Female Pope with Jupiter and Juno. In the Tarocco Bolognese (also called the Tarocchino) the Pope, Female Pope, Empress, and Emperor (collectively known as the Papi and of equal rank) were later replaced by four un-numbered trumps called the Four Moors (two of which share the same design). This move created a very strange numbering system for the Trumps.

You will also find a very different arrangement of trumps in the Tarocco Siciliano. For example, there is a Ship (also found in the cards for Minchiate), and an unnumbered trump, ranking lowest, called The Beggar.

uwe

I still use the 1JJ Swiss all the time. It's the deck that i started out on a long time ago and i still love it today. The two replacement cards don't bother me in the least. I always thought the 1JJ was a handsome deck. My one is now rather seasoned looking..i.e. the white colour has been replaced with a kind of ivory/greyish hue. It aged well and i'll never get rid of it.

Le Fanu

Gosh Uwe, I bet your deck is in a lovely state.I love these well-used decks! Im so glad you rescucitated this thread; you are in fact the first person to say that - yes - they still use it. I have a soft spot for mine, used it for years, and then lost it (though still consider it one of my top ten faves). Im thinking of re-purchasing it. A question; have you noticed a difference in cardstock between the older editions and the newer ones? Im curious..... (my version was early 80s)