decks that would be good for a 12-yr-old girl?

morticia monroe

peace_pixie said:
Ask her! Let her browse some cards here on AT. Everyone is so different and i know i would have loathed getting a hanson-roberts at 12 *yeck*....I was one of those 12 year olds that was grown up waaaaaaaaaaay before her time (and used to drive everyone crazy)...

So when in doubt make it a fun shopping expedititon

:heart:

Let us know how you go!

Great idea!

YDM42

I really liked the stick tarot.

satine

peace_pixie said:
Ask her! Let her browse some cards here on AT. Everyone is so different and i know i would have loathed getting a hanson-roberts at 12 *yeck*....I was one of those 12 year olds that was grown up waaaaaaaaaaay before her time (and used to drive everyone crazy)...

So when in doubt make it a fun shopping expedititon

:heart:

Let us know how you go!

I will. I really appreciate this large response. With all of these suggestions, Amelia and I will search through the sample cards for these various decks, and I'll see what she likes best. Btw, she is a VERY young 12-year-old-- extremely innocent and childlike in many ways. :)

desertreader

This may be an unpopular suggestion - it's not that popular a deck - but perhaps she might like the Unicorn Tarot. The colors are wonderful and the deck is easy to read. I used it on the psychic lines years ago and it was great!

Faolainn Storm

I was 14 when I got my first deck - Cosmic Tarot by Norbert Losche - Which was the first and only deck I had seen at the time. It read (and still reads) like a dream for me, though looking back I am surprised that some of the images weren't more shocking to me - no nudity, but some really violent images. It wasn't until years later that I realised that it was a RWS clone, and discovered the beauty of other decks, but even now, 15 years and 60+ decks later, I still find myself coming back to it.
So whatever you choose, remember that this deck will change her life. And possibly set her up for a life enslaved to the collection of Tarot ;)

Faolainn Storm

satine

Yes, my daughter loves the Manga as I mentioned, but she continues to do readings with my Victorian Romantic deck... at least until I can get her another deck or two of her own. Of course there is a lot of nudity in the V.R. deck, but my daughter said it's okay because it's "artsy Italian nudity." Hilarious.

FaireMaiden said:
It's so strange, isn't it, how girls can be so different...

My niece, 12 years old, is sweet and innocent...

My step-daughter, 13 years old going on 35, is all goth... nothing sweet or innocent about her at all... Alas, she's still so naive, tho, that I have come to the conclusion that all this pseudo, 'Hot Topic' goth stuff is actually what I now prefer to call: 'My Little Pony Goth', *lol*

In any case, I have sent to my niece the 'Whimsical', the 'Vanessa', and the 'Tarot of a Moon Garden'... all of which she adores... and can actually use, *vbs*

My step-daughter, however, (having gone thru all of my decks), announced with much disdain that she, herself, required something 'dark'... Alas, I took her to the 'Vargo' site so she could see some 'dark' cards for herself...

Now, I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner (but our computers are right next to it), and she's asking me every two minutes: 'what does this card mean, what does that card mean?'... I say: 'what does the card feel like to you? what does it say to you? what's the first thing coming into your head about it?'... To which she responded: 'nothing really, they all just look the same... I don't feel anything about them... they just look cool'...

It was at this point that I took out my trusty 'Universal Waite' and told her to match up the cards she was seeing online to the deck I put in her hands... Well, my-oh-my, what a difference that made... She could actually read the 'Universal Waite', but couldn't make heads or tails out of the 'Vargo'...

Hence, she's playing with the 'Universal Waite' now...

Another lesson in 'all that glitters is not gold', *lol*

By the way, I sent my 19-year-old nephew the 'Baseball Tarot'... Now, he's not into anything of this nature (divining, fortune-telling, etc.), but baseball is his life, so I thought, what the hell... He LOVES them! and, more importantly, can read them, *vbs*

Sorry for all the rambling... your inquiry just struck me with the vast difference between the two young girls in my life, *s*

FaireMaiden

*lol* 'artsy Italian nudity' *lol*... too funny!!!

My niece does not go for anything of that nature... She may be 12, but she's really more like 7 in this regard... Altho very bright and a straight-A student in school, she still is only attracted to all the fairytales, dolphins, unicorns, and etc etc... The 'Vanessa' is about the farthest she will go right now... and even that one is a bit too 'grown-up' for her... she reads that one with her mom (my sister)...

No... no budding sexuality in my niece... at least, not yet...

On the other hand, I expect my step-daughter to ask me to get her on the pill any day now, *lol*

As different as night and day, these two...

HonestPuck

I would suggest, NOT the Fey deck for her if she's uncomfortable with nudity, it can be kind of a dark deck in a cartoony sort of way. I love it, but I'm note sure it'd be right for her now.

If she wants it as a fun sort of things, go with the Vannessa. But i think if she seems more serious about it, go with some kind of tame RWS clone.

Sulis

If she loves Manga then I would recommend The Fey - the book is awesome too.

mosaica

My 11yo daughter has the Hanson Roberts (which she "stole" from me because she liked it so much) and the Goddess Tarot.

My 8yo has the Whimsical Tarot (the fairy tales and art work of which I think may be too young for many 12yo's) and the Tarot of the Moon Garden. Not all the Moon Garden pip cards are illustrated, however, by which I mean they may not have any fairies or creatures in them. Many of them look very similar, with just eight trees in one card or seven trees in another, for example.

Have fun! I keep waiting for one of my daughters to take off with tarot. So far, they really have only a passing interest.