The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Astraea Aurora

This spread is based on the Tim Burton movie "Sleepy Hollow", which itself is roughly based on Washington Irving’s novel "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

I made this spread because I was deeply attracted by the movie’s very quiet and creepy atmosphere. A picture that comes to mind is that of a silent night (no, not to mesh with that particular holiday in December :D) in early winter time when the first snow has just landed softly in the ground, all the hustle of the harvest season is gone and it is time to look within. This has brought me to topics of forbidden things that aren’t to see easily and things that linger at the very doorstep of your soul, ready to scare you to death when they see the slightest chance of getting in. I envisioned the spread to shed light on a transformation deep inside yourself.

Originally I had intended to use it with the Bohemian Gothic Tarot. Much to my despise I haven’t done it yet.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Astraea Aurora

1. Ichabod Crane, the Police Constable, in New York. Your current, rational ego.
2. The dispatch to Sleepy Hollow, Westchester County, New York, by commandment of his supervisors. – What is currently going wrong in your life, in your opinion.
3. The tale of the Headless Horseman. A Hessian soldier is said to be awaken from the dead to murder the citizens of Sleepy Hollow village randomly. – What is sounding illogical, unreal or bizarre in your ears.

4. Katrina Anne van Tassel, the beautiful daughter of the village’s wealthiest farmer. Ichabod Cranes secret love and his first helper. – A helper to whom you feel a strong attraction.
5. Young Masbath whose father has already been murdered. Ichabod Cranes second helper. – A helper to whom you have no relationship but who nonetheless and willingly helps you.

6. The decapitation of the village’s official Magistrate Philipse in front of Ichabod Crane. – The key element. The transformation from the rational ego to an understanding ego, knowing that there is a supernatural, mystical side that can’t be explained by logic.
7. Ichabod Cranes search, with help of Katrina van Tassels and Masbath, for the Headlass Horseman’s grave, discovering that his skull has been stolen. – The search for solution of the illogical, unreal or bizarre.
8. The realisation that the Headless Horseman is bound in his actions to the one person possessing his skull and those person’s wishes. – The realisation that nothing is ever as easy as it seems. (Interpret this line as you like.)

9. Ichabod Crane’s first suspicion who owns the Hessian soldier’s skull: farmer Baltus van Tassel, Katrina father. – The first, supposed solution.
10. Katrina van Tassel’s turning away from Ichabod Crane because of his suspicion.– Your and your surrounding’s reactions because of the supposed solution.
11. The night where the whole village gathers in church to seek protection from the Headless Horseman. The decapitation of farmer Baltus van Tassel. – The realisation that your supposed solution can’t be real or lead to solution.

12. Ichabod Crane’s second suspicion who owns the Hessian soldier’s skull: Katrina van Tassel. – The second, supposed solution.
13. Ichabod Crane’s departure because he can’t stand the thought that Katrina van Tassel might be involved in this bizarre farce and out of love won’t tell his suspicion. – Your and your surrounding’s reactions because of the supposed solution.
14. Ichabod Crane’s discovery that he suspected Katrina van Tassel wrongfully and she was only trying to protect the village with witchcraft. – The realisation that your supposed solution can’t be real or lead to solution.

15. Ichabos Crane’s immediate return. – Your reactions to the impossible solution.
16. The kidnapping of Katrina van Tassel by the one person who owns the Headless Horseman’s skull: Lady Mary van Tassel, Katrina’s mother. – The real source. The current danger or aroused situation because you discovered the real source too late.
17. The freeing of Katrina van Tassel by Ichabod Crane and Masbath. – The hero’s deed. An Action to avert the former danger.
18. The wild chase with the Headless Horseman. – Your last big strain.

19. The snatch of the Headless Horseman’s skull from Lady Mary van Tassel. The skull’s return to his true possessor. – The rescue or solution.
20. The kidnapping of Lady Mary van Tassel by the Headless Horseman into his own realm. – The consequences for the one person who arouse the whole situation.
21. Ichabod Crane’s return to New York, accompanied by Katrina van Tassel and Masbath. – The return to normal life.

So, due to the fact that I haven’t tried it this spread feels a bit incomplete to me. I don’t know if it is as good to explore inner things as it seemed to me when I invented it three months ago. Feel free to adapt it to your uses and leave comments.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Scorpio Sam

nice one I really enjoy taking a look at my self in such deep ways. Sometimes the freakier the better!

Sebavin

I tried the spread and it took me a very long time to decide what I would change. I took the positional meanings in the spread into as much account (almost) as the cards themselves. I’ve rarely done that with a spread, so this was different for me in a good way. There are so many elements at work here that it definitely makes for an intricate reading. This is not a spread to use lightly—it dissects a situation and lets you see each aspect individually very well. Any changes I would make would be of a more personal nature, and might not befit your original intentions for the spread. The parts I changed include;

8. The realisation that the Headless Horseman is bound in his actions to the one person possessing his skull and those person’s wishes. – The realisation that nothing is ever as easy as it seems. (Interpret this line as you like.)

I would change this to something to the effect of ‘what elements of your life have been placed out of your control?’ That is just how I would read it with my personal situation, though.

14. Ichabod Crane’s discovery that he suspected Katrina van Tassel wrongfully and she was only trying to protect the village with witchcraft. – The realisation that your supposed solution can’t be real or lead to solution.

Again, this is only how the card position would better fit my circumstances, but I would use this card as another wrong turn. A sort of 'Try try again.'

16. The kidnapping of Katrina van Tassel by the one person who owns the Headless Horseman’s skull: Lady Mary van Tassel, Katrina’s mother. – The real source. The current danger or aroused situation because you discovered the real source too late.

Being forced to take action- you already know you should, but don’t finally get around to it until it is too late, and something bad has happened because of your negligence and inability to act on the situation. It is action forced upon you.

20. The kidnapping of Lady Mary van Tassel by the Headless Horseman into his own realm. – The consequences for the one person who arouse the whole situation.

This was better read for me as ‘what irreversible consequences have arose because of your unwillingness to resolve the situation sooner?’

Overall, I think the spread works. It is a good spread to use if you have tried to find a solution(s) to one of life’s problems and failed miserably :D.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Sebavin,

I want to thank you for taking the time to try my spread and look it over. I really appreciate your effort! :love:

Overall, I think the spread works. It is a good spread to use if you have tried to find a solution(s) to one of life’s problems and failed miserably :D.

To begin with: Thanks for giving this spread a purpose. I was seriously dismissing it because I couldn't find a way this spread could be useable, a situation where it could enlights things. Thank you. This kind of purpose really suits it.

I would change this to something to the effect of ‘what elements of your life have been placed out of your control?’ That is just how I would read it with my personal situation, though.

Yep, this fits. Do you remember that wizard, I don't remember if it was Gandalf or Dumbledore, saying "Nothing is ever as easy as it seems." with a big sigh for his plans have been crossed out? Things that are beyong your control is very fitting.

Again, this is only how the card position would better fit my circumstances, but I would use this card as another wrong turn. A sort of 'Try try again.'

I agree. Sure a failed way leads to Try Again.

Being forced to take action- you already know you should, but don’t finally get around to it until it is too late, and something bad has happened because of your negligence and inability to act on the situation. It is action forced upon you.

This was better read for me as ‘what irreversible consequences have arose because of your unwillingness to resolve the situation sooner?’

At the beginning I was really hesitant about these two. But I see their usefulness. They make the spread more centered around the Querent, the one in trouble.
This was another point I didn't like about the spread. A good movie is about different people who act upon another in different stages of their lives. As the spread is woven around the movie plot it had that multi-personae focus, too. I didn't like it but found no way to change it because I was really fond of the tight symbiosis of the movie plot and the spread plot.

All in all I really appreciate your feedback. You have made the spread better! Thank you! :love:

Astraea Aurora :grin: (who still hasn't tried her own spread ... shame on her ...)

Sebavin

Well thank you for the metafeedback :). It took a really long time to sort through my current problem with this spread, but it was good, because it helped me hash it out with myself, lol. Glad to help, just sorry it took so long :laugh:.

Sebavin

Astraea Aurora

Hi Sebavin,

don't worry. Whatever time it needs is right with me. I'm so glad this spread isn't collecting dust and has at least been tried. :D

Best wishes, Astraea Aurora :grin: