Shining Woman vs Shining Tribe

Sphinxmoth

How much difference is there between these two decks? I am correct in understanding the ST is a revision & update of the SW? How vastly revised?
I probably would rather have the Shining Woman, just for the herstorical sort of aspect, but I can't exactly go out & just buy one, which I could the Shining Tribe. I would like the opinion of proponents and owners of the two decks.

Sphinxmoth

Thank you, Silverlotus, for that link. It seems like I may have read that review in the past, but hadn't remembered all those particulars very well.
I guess I prefer the convenient aquirability (and so far it seems like the improvements) of the STribe over the SWoman, inasmuch as my gratification does not have to be delayed, nor anxious nor hardwon. This is the kind of deck art that appeals to me very much. I have been overlooking this deck for some reason. Til now.

rwcarter

I know I've seen one or two auctions on eBay in the last few days for the Shining Woman. I'm pretty sure I saw one last night, but I don't remember if it had been newly listed in the last 24 hours or if it was ending within the next 24 hours. (Every day I check what's ending in the next 24 hours and what's been newly listed in the last 24 hours for Tarot stuff, but it's been more than 12 hours since I checked.)

Rodney

Sphinxmoth

Thanks, Rodney. I think the one you are talking about is the one that ended late this morning. I didn't get a chance to make a bid on that, missed my chance. I think it went for eight bucks.

rwcarter

Bummer. Had I known that, I would'a bid on it! :laugh:

fferyllt

I have both decks. Originally I got the Shining Tribe, then recently found the Shining Woman in a used bookstore. :) There are not many differences between the decks. The SW cards are slightly smaller than the ST cards. The backs are different, and both patterns are pleasing. The ST book is expanded from the SW book. Some small printing problems in the SW deck have been fixed in the ST deck, such as the lovers card. The borders on the SW deck are white, while those on the ST deck are golden yellow, graduating from dark at the top of the card to very pale at the bottom, which I think looks very nice. The majors are essentially the same, and a few of the minors have been changed.

To me, the most noticeable difference in the cards is the coloring. In many cases, browns have been changed to reds, green-yellows to greens, pale purply-blues to blues, etc, all off which looks more vivid. Overall, the ST colors are more vivid and there is more contrast, making them look more vibrant, which I like.

Overall, I think ST is an improvement over SW, both deck and book (and you really need the book for this deck), so if you are going to choose one, I recommend Shining Tribe.

Hope this helps you decide. :)

Sphinxmoth

fferyllt said:
I have both decks. Originally I got the Shining Tribe, then recently found the Shining Woman in a used bookstore. :) There are not many differences between the decks. The SW cards are slightly smaller than the ST cards. The backs are different, and both patterns are pleasing. The ST book is expanded from the SW book. Some small printing problems in the SW deck have been fixed in the ST deck, such as the lovers card. The borders on the SW deck are white, while those on the ST deck are golden yellow, graduating from dark at the top of the card to very pale at the bottom, which I think looks very nice. The majors are essentially the same, and a few of the minors have been changed.

To me, the most noticeable difference in the cards is the coloring. In many cases, browns have been changed to reds, green-yellows to greens, pale purply-blues to blues, etc, all off which looks more vivid. Overall, the ST colors are more vivid and there is more contrast, making them look more vibrant, which I like.

Overall, I think ST is an improvement over SW, both deck and book (and you really need the book for this deck), so if you are going to choose one, I recommend Shining Tribe.

Hope this helps you decide. :)

*Definitely, it does*. And I have decided to put the Shining Tribe on my lil notebook list and try to pick one up maybe on my next trip to the metaphysical shops. I like that the border color has changed, that the cards are a bit larger, that printing flaws have been addressed and colors (by everyone's agreement) have been improved by the changes. I also definitely don't need both. Thanks for your opinion. :)

SolSionnach

I have both decks... though I haven't opened up ST, because I've heard that it has the same problems many Llewellyn decks have: warping cardstock. I'm keeping mine in shrinkwrap until I have a need to open it.

I like the size of the original SW - and I'm not completely convinced that changing 4 of the cards was that important. You lose the awesome 10 of Birds with the Peruvian sky-bird (what the heck is that thing called), etc... but the book with ST - mercy. It's a great book! I'm using that with the SW deck.

I find that I'm a wee bit annoyed that Rachel insists on using reversals - I usually don't, because you have to turn the cards around to get reversals.

However, I :heart: my SW greatly...

Sravana hurries off to eBay...

fferyllt

sravana said:
I have both decks... though I haven't opened up ST, because I've heard that it has the same problems many Llewellyn decks have: warping cardstock. I'm keeping mine in shrinkwrap until I have a need to open it.

I like the size of the original SW - and I'm not completely convinced that changing 4 of the cards was that important. You lose the awesome 10 of Birds with the Peruvian sky-bird (what the heck is that thing called), etc... but the book with ST - mercy. It's a great book! I'm using that with the SW deck.

I find that I'm a wee bit annoyed that Rachel insists on using reversals - I usually don't, because you have to turn the cards around to get reversals.

However, I :heart: my SW greatly...

Sravana hurries off to eBay...
I've seen other's say that recently about the Llewellyn cardstock too, but haven't found it to be a problem with my decks (though I find the World Spirit extremely stiff for shuffling, which makes it frustrating to use). I'd be interested to know more about that.

As for reversals, I don't like them either usually, but I do like thinking about multiple sides of a card's meaning, so I use "reversal" meanings more in that way.

:)