Decks done in linocut ??

SolSionnach

Debra said:
Astraea Aurora, if you can grab the Light and Shadow, do...it's gone out of print. It's really quite something in person. I trimmed the sides off the borders so I can handle it easier. I did a reading with it yesterday that was right-on--very pleased.

L&S is OOP??
How Sad.
It's a grand deck in the Thoth tradition, and both the artist and the writer of the not-so-LB have passed on...

And it has the best Queens anywhere! ;)

Debra

So said Umbrae from Tarot Garden--couple of months ago advised to get it while we can.

There were at least two printings. The second seemed to be from China--darker blacks, thicker ink, some smell. The older was nicer, I thought, but both are nice, in that wonderful box with the good little book. I agree, it is a gem.

Astraea Aurora

@ Debra and sravana:
Thanks for that info on Light and Shadow. :heart: Amazon.de Marketplace states that Caiman USA still has them, could be of help for you. I also found it at a reasonable price (12,50 €) at a German seller. I'll see what my bank account will say at the end of the month ;) right now it's more than empty.

@sravana:
I think I can envision what added colors will do to the pictures. Thanks for telling - I wouldn't have thought of it.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

SolSionnach

Astraea Aurora said:
@ Debra and sravana:
Thanks for that info on Light and Shadow. :heart: Amazon.de Marketplace states that Caiman USA still has them, could be of help for you. I also found it at a reasonable price (12,50 €) at a German seller. I'll see what my bank account will say at the end of the month ;) right now it's more than empty.

@sravana:
I think I can envision what added colors will do to the pictures. Thanks for telling - I wouldn't have thought of it.

I don't think that I'm going to get a second copy of this deck (oooh - unless it got trendy like Greenwood and Alchemical? take a chance on that?), because I made two smaller-size laminated copies for myself, and I have the super large size that I was coloring, several years ago.) But my advice would be to definitely get it while you can!

When you think of coloring the deck, think of World Spirit - basically that deck is colored linocut (I believe). I think that the Art in L&S is much better - and if you print it out, you can change the noses on the princes of pents and cups. Their noses really bother me!! lol.

and the LB is by the late Brian Williams - he of Renaissance tarot, Pomo tarot, the Minchiate, Ship of Fools, etc. He was quite the scholar, and th LB is a work of art in itself.

(Damn. I miss Brian Williams!!)

SolSionnach

Debra said:
So said Umbrae from Tarot Garden--couple of months ago advised to get it while we can.

There were at least two printings. The second seemed to be from China--darker blacks, thicker ink, some smell. The older was nicer, I thought, but both are nice, in that wonderful box with the good little book. I agree, it is a gem.

Well, I just ordered another copy from Amazon - they said they had 4 in stock, with "more on the way". Whatever. I'm not going to even unseal this copy. It's an investment... even though it might take years to pay off. :)

gregory

Astraea Aurora said:
@ Debra and sravana:
A caveat. Ask Caiman exactly what they have first. I bought from them once and it turned out they had no DECK, only the BOOK. I had to pay the return postage to get my money back.......... As amazon does the descriptions in the listings, it can get dodgy....

Astraea Aurora

gregory said:
A caveat. Ask Caiman exactly what they have first. I bought from them once and it turned out they had no DECK, only the BOOK. I had to pay the return postage to get my money back.......... As amazon does the descriptions in the listings, it can get dodgy....

Well, I'm not intending to buy from Caiman when there's a German seller available. Could save me the custom fees. But I will ask the seller when I order it! Thanks gregory :heart:
That's exactly why I won't buy from Amazon directly. They say they have nothing in stock but would email the buyer when it is available again. Ha ha ... good joke when in fact its OOP.

Astraea Aurora

sravana said:
and the LB is by the late Brian Williams - he of Renaissance tarot, Pomo tarot, the Minchiate, Ship of Fools, etc. He was quite the scholar, and th LB is a work of art in itself.

(Damn. I miss Brian Williams!!)

Well I think THAT will be the real cause for me to buy the deck. I like his Renaissance Tarot a lot (although I don't own it) and his Ship of Fools even more (another one I don't own, such a shame).

So sravana, have fun with your spare!!

SolSionnach

Astraea Aurora said:
Well I think THAT will be the real cause for me to buy the deck. I like his Renaissance Tarot a lot (although I don't own it) and his Ship of Fools even more (another one I don't own, such a shame).

So sravana, have fun with your spare!!

I realized that I had No Business ordering that deck, so I canceled the order. Share the love, etc!

Kissa

I also trimmed the borders of the Light and Shadow. And now that i think of it, it doesn't matter at all whether it is out of print or not since i dont see my decks as an investment but i need to use them and sometimes the only way to give them a chance is to trim them. so i take the chance...

I love the New Brave World deck, i really do. If someone can give me extra info about it, please do by PM or so... thanks in advance!

Namaste

Kissa