Something to try

lunalafey

I got a new deck and one of the things I do with a new deck is play with it. Every 'game' I play is different. I never know what I'm going to do to get to know a new deck.
With this new deck I started something that evolved into something more and unexpected.

I did not start out intending to do a reading, but upon study of the cards I found that what I came up with was a reflection of what I feel and face in this moment.

I call this "Balance the Moment"
It seems that it is good for overall awareness & guidance for the here and now.

Step 1- Separating the deck
Without thinking or taking purposeful note of the card your viewing, look at the cards imagery. Are you liking it or disliking it. Make two piles, the like it pile and the don't like it pile.

Step 2- Reducing the piles
Choose 3-6 of the cards you like the best from the like it group, from those cards, carefully study each and choose the one that you are drawn to the most.
Choose 3-6 cards from the dislike pile that you like the least, again, study them carefully choosing the one you are liking the least of all.

Step 3- Finding the Balance
Take the card you liked the most and read it for it's negative aspects and associations. Reflect upon how it applies in life at this time.
Take the card disliked the most and read it with it's positive attributes and message. Apply it's wisdom in order to find what will bring balance.

If you give it a try, let me know how it worked for you. I'm curious about my
'accidental' reading being a 'fluke' or if I have stumbled upon something more solid.

pippi

Oooh, I like the twist in the 3rd step! I'm going to try this tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

tarot4fun

I used a deck that is one of my least favorites. It was interesting to see the commonalities in the Like It and Don't Like It piles. I can honestly say there are only two cards that I almost love~

This exercise reinforced the decision to keep and use it as a reading deck.
Thanks lunalafey~ :cool2:

:heart:

eta~ The Finding the Balance step was a good twist~ :)

Oddity

Oh, sounds interesting! I will try this a soon as I can! (which might be a while away, but still...)

It sems like a cool multi-purpose reading: giving a reflection of the moment, and at the same time making the reader look at the deck in a new and different way.

Just out of curiosity: what was the new deck you got, that made you come up with this game?

lunalafey

great question

Oddity said:
Just out of curiosity: what was the new deck you got, that made you come up with this game?

....Revelations......ROFL.....

Oddity

lunalafey said:
....Revelations......ROFL.....
Oh, haha :D I have that one too, but I haven't used it yet...

pippi

I just did this with my new-ish Druidcraft. It was really helpful and relevant to my life situation right now! It gave me literal, practical advice that I can put into effect immediately. Thanks so much for sharing this idea, lunalafey!

ETA: I feel like this should almost be in the Tarot Spreads forum. I found myself searching for this thread over there, and couldn't find it.

lunalafey

coolness

pippi said:
ETA: I feel like this should almost be in the Tarot Spreads forum. I found myself searching for this thread over there, and couldn't find it.

I went back and forth about where to put this. True it acts like a spread, but it is not derived by the same means, so it was a toss up. Beings that I did not know what sort of effects it would have for others, it was only just an exercise.
But now, perhaps it is official, it is a spread. A real in your face kinda thing it turned out to be.

I would wrap up the cards and their message in just about the same words you used. I was surprised, yet not, been playing with the cards for far to long to ever get 'super shock'.

I wonder about a new deck versus an old faithful deck. Since we are already familiar with the deck and the images, would we be as 'open'. Would we immediately toss cards we knew we disliked before we even got to them while going through the deck?

Going to go get one of my more aged decks ad see what happens

Sheri

pippi said:

lunalafey said:
I went back and forth about where to put this. True it acts like a spread, but it is not derived by the same means, so it was a toss up. Beings that I did not know what sort of effects it would have for others, it was only just an exercise.
But now, perhaps it is official, it is a spread. A real in your face kinda thing it turned out to be.

No worries, lunalafey and pippi :D Moonbow* and I discussed it and it is perfectly OK for the discussion to continue here. I have added this thread to the Spreads Index so others can find this in the same way that a spread can be found. I've even colored it pink so that it stands out as being located in a different area of the forum (like I did with the Thoth spreads, which are located in the Thoth forum - they are green).

Carry on :D

valeria; moderator of Tarot Spreads and co-moderator of UTC

pippi

Thanks valeria! :)