Aquarian:Five of Pentacles

Queen of Disks

In this card we have two seemingly depressed people walking by. They walk along hunched over. The background is a blue sky whith white clouds. Hanging above these people's heads is the stained glass window with the five pentacles in the glass (like the RWS card.) There is snow along the windowsill.

I think this window is in the minds of the people walking by. It could be a imaginary place of sanctuary or a destination for them. It could symbolize hope for something better.

Or it could be a threat or something "hanging over their heads." Those of you who do not identify with organized religon or the accepted norm would probably understand that.

What do you think?

karenquilter

The LWB says: Material or spiritual impoverishment; loneliness. Reverse: Dissonance in marriage; obstacles to resolution of personal relations.

I've always thought of this as the poverty card. There is material & spiritual wealth symbolized in the church window above the people, but they aren't looking at it. They just keep going on their way, discouraged, cold & hungry.

The adage "If you want different results, then you need to do something different" seems to apply here. In this case, look around & see what else life has to offer.

Umbrae

The Five of Pentacles is one of my fav cards.

When I look, I see two people walking. There’s a window above. We cannot tell their mental state, they are simply walking…by a window.

Now Waite tells us they are in ‘poverty’.

Papus, based off of Levi, gave us Lover/Earning for upright, and Disarray/Libertinism for reversed. Others tell us, “Material troubles”. Crowley would remind us that fives are the reaction when movement is introduced into the stability and calmness of the fours.

So I always see these two as between point A and B. On a journey, in a state of movement. When moving between two places, there is no ‘possession’, there’s only the movement.

Here, the surroundings appear cold. There could be snow on the sill of the window that floats in the air – which I view as a metaphor for ‘sanctuary at hand’, their journey is almost over (about to get to the relative warmth of a six).

karenquilter said:
The adage "If you want different results, then you need to do something different" seems to apply here. In this case, look around & see what else life has to offer.
I kind of agree with that. Once you get to sanctuary, you can choose to stop and rest your weary bones, get warm, take a beak, see what’s offered (think of that guy in the six with the scales).

Mmmmm – we’re almost there.

just thinking....

MariposAzl

Numerologically speaking, fives represent change. But not an easy going change, change more in line with the energy of a hurricane, erratic dramatic change.

In this card they both have their heads hung which first gives me the impression of sadness and depression. The impoverished state of mind definately applies when looking at it that way. But does the window above their head imply a fortune or change they cannot attain, or what they hope to attain?

Let us not forget also that pentacles represent physical well being. So this card can also speak of being in a poor state of health with the hope or possibility of getting better through belief (either in religion or positive thinking).