Haindl deck---tarot fabulous!!

Kingfish

I just viewed this deck, online, for the first time. Can't take my eyes off of it. I'm just blown away. I'll continue learning with the Rider-Waite I think, but I just found MY deck. The abstractons speak to me in away that more literal styles of representations do not. These images remind me of music (I'm a musician.) I'm especially impressed not only with the artwork, but with the whole cross-cultural/historical /spanning the ages thing that's going on. It's seems so timeless and universal to me. I just feel totally enveloped by,and engaged with each card. I'm attracted the darkness and the "gravity" of the cards which really intensifies the "lights" (can't help it---I'm a decendant of Russian actors--Ha!) I find this deck to be an inspired masterpiece--No kiddin'! Can't wait to get the deck, and the corresponding books by Rachel Pollack.

Grizabella

If you're used to RWS style decks, be aware that the Haindl is a Thoth-based deck. That threw me off with trying to use it when I had it because I didn't know that. :)

It's a very profound deck. Good luck with it. :)

raventepes

I love the Haindl. It was actually one of my first few decks. I don't know if you'd be too interested in it or not, but another good Thoth-type deck is the Quest. I will warn however that it's a bit complicated and over the top given NUMEROUS extras on the cards. Also the Quest is completely digital artwork.

HearthCricket

How exciting that you have found this lovely deck and enjoy it so much! The artwork really is lovely and at one point I put it far back in my drawer not expecting to use it for readings, but lately pulled it out, as my interest in Thoth inspired decks grew, and then proceeded to purchase the Haindl Rune Oracle, as well. Enjoy them!

Kingfish

Thanks all for your responses

Well, I'm just starting to study Tarot, really, so I'll keep it on the side while I'm working with the RW, which more than one book explained that it's one of the best to start with. I did a little research into Thoth, and read some of the interpretive book by Angeles Arrien. I am mainly reading up on the Majors and found the meanings as described in this book to be a lot more complex and engaging than the average interpretation, and the same time fairly consistent with everything else I've read on each Major. Couldn't get threough the book of Thoth---yikes!
Anyway, I see the similarity of the Haindl to the Thoth in terms of the astrological, hebrew, and rune symbols. And I see that different symbols in general are used. In what other ways is it similar ot the Thoth? I have a Toth deck which I love looking at, but for me at this point there is too much information on each card, and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it, and don't have the kind of time that I think would be required to really "delve." tryong to keep it simple here but I know I can't resist the Haindl!

SolSionnach

Haindl was my first love, in spite of those hideous yellow eyes on the card backs.
I loved it for many of the same reasons you list, Kingfish.
Looking at it now - not so much - but that may change once again :)

Oh, and Rachel's books are definitely must-haves with this deck. :) She has a personal relationship with the Haindls, that has gone on ever since.

Kingfish

Oh, I read about the eye on the back but haven't seen it---is it that bad?

Faolainn Storm

I wish you all the best with the Haindl. It has been one of the few decks I have bought that I just couldn't connect with at all. Not one inch of connection.
I only bought the deck because I got an opportunity to get the two companion books cheap, and found them absolutely fascinating, thrilling, deeply moving explorations of the tarot.
However, I was hugely disappointed when I finally got to see the cards. To me they appear like beautiful paintings, which, after they were finished, some horrible person came along and smeared with mud. I keep getting the urge to wipe the mud off.
I really hope you can find a connection to these cards, as I know, from reading the books, that they are wonderful cards, that will give you beautiful, deep, meaningful answers. I guess I just don't speak the same language they do. :neutral:
But I do agree with the others. If possible get the books. They are INCREDIBLE!

Faolainn Storm

Kingfish

That's funny

When I look at the RW cards, I feel like messing them up!