Halloween Tarot - 3 of Bats

Skimo

Hello everyone,

I did a little exercise with my Halloween deck, just choosing the five most negatives and five most positives cards.
And I had just left them there near me.

The three of bats was in the five most negatives (as a matter of fact).

It's generally not a good card, with three swords piercing a heart.

But looking at it, another meaning just came in my mind.

With the black sky, the rain, the cloud, the lighting and the unhappy wet cat, it seems indead quite negative first...
The atmosphere is quite menacing at first look.

In fact, the Three Bats are just flying, holding and supporting the Heart. They could be stealing it or trying to save it.
The rain can be seen as a way to wash every pain of the heart.
And the lightning is electricity : like a way to make the heart beat again.

At the end, I think that a positive meaning can be found in this card.
It's not easy, but tears will wash pain away and life will go on.

And cats don't like to be wet (it's a good reason to look so upset).

Any other ideas?

Queen of Disks

It looked to me that the one bat was chewing on the heart (which can't feel good.) The other two bats are trying to carry the heart-maybe to get it out of the rain.

Skimo

You're right.

One of the bats have the heart in his mouth.

But as a bat, when you try to hold something above you while flying, I don't see any other way lol

Bumpy_Boo

Hello everyone,

I did a little exercise with my Halloween deck, just choosing the five most negatives and five most positives cards.
And I had just left them there near me.

The three of bats was in the five most negatives (as a matter of fact).

It's generally not a good card, with three swords piercing a heart.

But looking at it, another meaning just came in my mind.

With the black sky, the rain, the cloud, the lighting and the unhappy wet cat, it seems indead quite negative first...
The atmosphere is quite menacing at first look.

In fact, the Three Bats are just flying, holding and supporting the Heart. They could be stealing it or trying to save it.
The rain can be seen as a way to wash every pain of the heart.
And the lightning is electricity : like a way to make the heart beat again.

At the end, I think that a positive meaning can be found in this card.
It's not easy, but tears will wash pain away and life will go on.

And cats don't like to be wet (it's a good reason to look so upset).

Any other ideas?

I just got this deck, and I really like your idea. I would add that the one bat who has the heart in his mouth looks like he is trying to stop the other two from saving it. This ties with a lot of interpretations, which refer not only to heartbreak, but the disruption of a situation by a hostile or ill meaning third party - in a lot of decks I have seen, only the third sword pierces the heart.

So your interpretation makes sense, in terms of the two bats carrying the heart away from the source of sadness - perhaps whether or not the third bat succeeds in intervening depends on upright/reversed?

Just some thoughts :)

annik

Yeah, it seems very ambiguous. Maybe by looking at the other cards around we can determine if negative or positive. I am unsure if the bats are working as a team or not. The weather seem to indicate some storm. Maybe they are right in a rainy moment.

canid

Yeah, it seems very ambiguous. Maybe by looking at the other cards around we can determine if negative or positive. I am unsure if the bats are working as a team or not. The weather seem to indicate some storm. Maybe they are right in a rainy moment.

It looks to me as if they are working like a team, in tandem, as you mentioned. Maybe the lightning bolt going toward the left bat means he's the ring-leader? It would certainly support the menage a trois meaning. The cat at the bottom certainly seems to be watching their antics. Is that fear in its eyes? Or could it be the trad 'nun', despairing over the antics of the bats? Or even feeling self-pity that it has to put up with this..this..whatever is going on?

Grizabella

The bat at the bottom that looks like it's got the heart in his mouth could be trying to help the two top bats lift the heart and carry it away.

Or----

Maybe the two top bats are weighing the heart down so the bat at the bottom is trying to hold it upl

Or---

Maybe the two bats at the top are trying to protect the heart from the lightning and rain and the bat at the bottom just wants to help but can't find room at the top.