I want to start studying Runes, but I don't know where to beggin... (a few questions)

Frannie

Hi
It has come to my thoughts lately to begging studying Runes... though I have absolutely no idea how they work, since I only read Tarot. I am eager to learn, but I have no idea were to start... Can you learn first starting with books? How do runes work? How long do can you take if study hard to get a grasp? (I figure this will vary from person to person) Can you learn by yourself, with no one (person) teaching you? What books do you recommend for a begginer? I have so many questions, I would really appreciate your responses, thank you :)

bershka

Frannie said:
Hi
It has come to my thoughts lately to begging studying Runes... though I have absolutely no idea how they work, since I only read Tarot. I am eager to learn, but I have no idea were to start... Can you learn first starting with books? How do runes work? How long do can you take if study hard to get a grasp? (I figure this will vary from person to person) Can you learn by yourself, with no one (person) teaching you? What books do you recommend for a begginer? I have so many questions, I would really appreciate your responses, thank you :)

LOL, you must have communicated with me telepathically because I have been interested in learning runes for the past few weeks! It's just that I never got around to start the process :D

Any suggestions/advice is also appreciated on how to get started :)

Frannie

Lol bershka we must had communicated! It's good to know that my post was useful for you too, I'm eager to learn about Runes!

Moonmystic

Hi girls! First, get yourself a set of runes, or make your own. If you do a Google search using the phrase "Make your own set of Runes" you'll find a wonderful article about how to make them. Secondly, right here in this forum, in this very category is a sticky message named Index of Indices, if you look at that thread one of the topics is about Runes. It will give you plenty of information to get started reading the runes.

Edit: It would have been good of me to answer all of your questions, I'm sorry. Yes, you certainly can learn to read the runes with books. There's a good list of Rune books here in the forum somewhere. Also, you can take plenty of time to learn to use the Runes. Your journey with the Runes will last a lifetime, don't be in a hurry, enjoy them.

The books I would recommend for a beginner are:
Northern Mysteries & Magic by Freya Aswynn
The Runes Workbook by Leon D. Wild

When you have a bit of a foundation, I would also recommend:
Taking Up the Runes by Diana L. Paxson and
Northern Magic by Edred Thorsson (for a deeper understanding of the culture that resulted in the Runes)

Have fun and best of luck in your journey with the Runes!! :)

Frannie

Thank you Moonmystic! :D

Moonmystic

You're quite welcome. Please read my post again, I edited it to add some more information for you.

Namaste!

bershka

Thanks Moonmystic!

I am not keen on making my own at the moment, so I started looking around for runes online a few days ago but there are so many choices.

I've tried looking for workshops selling runes in my area, but so far no luck :(

How can I pick runes when I have not felt them? Just trial and error like with crystals??

I am thinking of purchasing them from this site:
http://ravenmoonlight.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/97_86?osCsid=fa018155386866dda7de7c0502bf07c9

Where did you get yours MoonMystic? Or did you make all of them yourself?

EDIT:
Is there a difference between glass runes and gemstone runes? Would its vibration make a difference in rune readings??

Moonmystic

bershka said:
Thanks Moonmystic!

I am not keen on making my own at the moment, so I started looking around for runes online a few days ago but there are so many choices.

I've tried looking for workshops selling runes in my area, but so far no luck :(

How can I pick runes when I have not felt them? Just trial and error like with crystals??

I am thinking of purchasing them from this site:
http://ravenmoonlight.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/97_86?osCsid=fa018155386866dda7de7c0502bf07c9

Where did you get yours MoonMystic? Or did you make all of them yourself?

EDIT:
Is there a difference between glass runes and gemstone runes? Would its vibration make a difference in rune readings??

Well, I'm a huge fan of the theory that you can't make a mistake. The Runes that are meant for you, will find their way to you. My first set came from a local New Age shop, they are polished stones. My dearest set I made myself from the lovely branch of a generous oak tree that was dropped right into my path. I know there are some incredible rune makers here at AT. I hope they'll poke their head up for you and show you what they have. I don't believe you can make a mistake in choosing your Runes. If they intend for you to read the Runes, you will read the Runes. You can even draw them on index cards until you find the perfect permanant set. You can paint on Scrabble tiles - I saw some incredibly beautiful ones somewhere recently that had been painted on Scrabble tiles.

I don't believe it matters if your Runes are stones or wooden. I have both. I do prefer my wooden ones... I don't know why really. That didn't stop me from reading accurately with my polished stone runes for many years. Again, if you're meant to read the Runes, you can paint them on anything. They're quite versatile.

The Runes at the link you gave are beautiful. They would work fine for you.
No matter which you choose, they'll become yours.

bershka

Thanks so much for all the information again Moonmystic. All the information you gave is very helpful!!

Moonmystic said:
If they intend for you to read the Runes, you will read the Runes. You can even draw them on index cards until you find the perfect permanant set

You know what? That's what I am gonna do for a start since I am clueless which runes to choose and I don't know the difference LOL

Hopefully, some talented rune-makers here on AT will give me their offer (HINT, HINT) :D :D

Frannie

Thank you again Moonmystic, your reply cleared a lot of doubts I had, thank you so much. I am purchasing a beautiful set of fairy glass runes on ebay, and I am going to check now the books you mentioned to me and bershka :)