Crowley's Hymns

Keldor

I was wonder if something for me. I heard it said that Aleister Crowley didn't believe in the Devil. Then why did he name of two of his hymns "Hymn to Satan" and "Hymn to Satan?" I'm not accusing Crowley of being a Satanist (like many of you here, I think that Crowley was a genius and one of the great mystics of the 20th Century). I am just curious as to what they are about, I have hunches as to what they could about but I am not sure. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance for you help.

Keldor :)

ravenest

I think you mean Hymn to Lucifer?

Ware, nor of good nor ill, what aim hath act?
.........Without its climax, death, what savour hath
Life? an impeccable machine, exact
.........He paces an inane and pointless path
To glut brute appetites, his sole content
.........How tedious were he fit to comprehend
Himself! More, this our noble element
.........Of fire in nature, love in spirit, unkenned
Life hath no spring, no axle, and no end.

His body a blood-ruby radiant
.........With noble passion, sun-souled Lucifer
Swept through the dawn colossal, swift aslant
.........On Eden's imbecile perimeter.
He blessed nonentity with every curse
.........And spiced with sorrow the dull soul of sense,
Breath life into the sterile universe,
.........With Love and Knowledge drove out innocence
The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Hymn to Satan? I've written one of those ... but I am not a Satanist ... dont even believe in him.

Keldor

Yes, Hymn to Lucifer that's what I meant, thank you for correcting me and I guess Crowley never wrote a Hymn to Satan (the article I read must of have been wrong).

Thank you for your help Ravenest.

ravenest

No worries ... ( a lot of articles about Crowley are wrong). If you want other 'Hymns' to other gods by Crowley and others, google The Rites of Eleusis and go to one of the OTO sites (not a history sites about the ancient Rites of Eleusis) and check out the poetry, hymns and invocations spread throughout these 7 planetary rites ... some brilliant writing in there.

ravenest

His hymns

There IS a hymn ... I just remembered;
'Hymn to Pan' and if one mixes up Pan and the Devil (like some do with card 15) then perhaps one could mistake that 'hymn' for a Hymn to Satan? ... Nah, I'm being too generous.

Hymn to Pan did cause some outrage though, it was recited, at AC's request, at his funeral (ie. he requested it to be recited BEFORE he died ... he didnt sit up in the coffin with a dead face and thunder; "Recite the Hymn to Pan!" :laugh: - although I'm sure he would have loved to have gone out that way) anyway, apparently it caused some type of shock horror.

Hmmm, Crowley hymns ... interesting subject. Perhaps someone could write a holy hymn about him?

Keldor

I've heard the Hymn to Pan, Crowley was a great writer. If AC went out like that they would have said a lot worse things to him. I don't how they [the press] confused it with a Black Mass. Anyway, thanks for the info. :)

Keldor

I did a search and found out that Crowley did write a Hymn to Satan you can find it here http://www.gnosticrob.com/hymns/hymntosatan.html . Like I said before Crowley wasn't a Satanist and in many Gnostic philosophies Satan was a positive figure.

As for a Hymn to Crowley how about this:

O Crowley, O Crowley the people thought you unholy and finding the True Will was your goal only.

O Crowley To Mega Therion oh great prophet of Horus who showed the path of Hyperion's son.

O Crowley O Great Beast who crushes Chronozon on us who would feast.

O Crowley O Crowley Teacher of the Aeon show us our true self lead us near and far and show us that we are all stars.

ravenest

Well ... there you go then! I never have seen that one before, does anyone know where it is from, what book ... date?

ravenest

Another Hymn to 'evil'.

THE PARISH PARSON

I have found a place to dwell
A quiet, peaceful part of Hell
Far from the heavy trafficked Styx.
My house is built of lava bricks
And in my nurtured garden grow
The black and lustrous Leper rose.
On Furnace Road
Lies my abode
Close by the Temple of the Toad.