Do you use elemental dignities?

Melanchollic

I use elemental dignities, and a lot of elemental associations with tarot. This is probably due to my background in alchemy and traditional astrology.

Obviously the four elements are key in an Astrological Spread, which is my specialty, but I also work elemental associations in to the traditional Tirage en Croix Spread, as detailed here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

It's rather long winded for a "spread post", so get a cup of coffee! :)

mosaica

Oh my, Melanchollic, you're right, I will need a rather *strong* cup of coffee for that post! I will plan to read it when I have a good patch of quiet time.

And thanks, AmberV, for your thoughts. I am feeling a little more open to dignities after reading it, and I will concentrate on reading them less harshly and see what happens. Good points!

frelkins

Doesn't part 1 of the BoT mention using elements and dignities as part of the theory of tarot? I think Crazy Al talks about Qabalah and elements right up front, yes?

Lillie

frelkins said:
Doesn't part 1 of the BoT mention using elements and dignities as part of the theory of tarot? I think Crazy Al talks about Qabalah and elements right up front, yes?

Don't know...

Want to quote it for me, save me looking it up?

And if he don't explain how to use them (which I know he don't) then I don't have to bother.

I know this stuff for a fact.
I have a deep innate understanding of when I don't have to bother my fluffy little head with complicated stuff.

rcb30872

Lillie said:
I have a deep innate understanding of when I don't have to bother my fluffy little head with complicated stuff.
ROFLMAO.

Well, at the moment I don't use elementary dignities. If and when I get interested in it, I might read up on it, but right now, I got enough on my plate as it is, like keeping my head above water. I am no foreigner to study, just not related to this, science, actually.

Always Wondering

I had many beautiful and meaningful readings from my friend, who was also an astrologer, from the Thoth deck. I was a bit shocked when I bought my own Thoth deck and started learning on my own. I had never heard of a reversal. And the phrase elemental dignitaries was a shock.
But as I practiced and learned I saw how naturally my friend had brought up the highest and lowest aspects of each card giving me attitudes and mindsets to think twice about and their higher qualities to strive for. That's how I read reversals and a lot of them make sense to me.
I also focused on the four elements for a long time before I started mixing them, and it seemed like a natural step, interesting, and kind of fun to consider the sizzle of fire in water and so on.
My challenge is the astrology and trying to make sense of it as my friend did. Someone said Thoth was a lifelong study and I believe this. I have been reading and learning for four years and feel as if I am just getting started.
It was my friend's gentle but firm readings that got me loving and respecting the art of Tarot.

Always Wondering