Spread to quit smoking

Stagecraft_kid

I haven't read tarot for a while now, and I always made simple spreads. But I felt like I needed to know more after yet another failed attempt at quiting smoking. I always feel like my reasons aren't as deep as they should be, despite my desire to quit. So I did this to see what really started it all, I hope this can be useful to someone.
-----------[5]------------
----[2]-----------[3]------
---[ 8 ]----------[ 9 ]-----
-----------[1]-------------
----------[ 11 ]-----------
-----[7]----------[6]------
-----------[4]------------
----------[ 10 ]----------

1. The root
2. Mind Root
3. Body Root
4. Spirit Root
5. How Mind and body feed into each other
6. How Body And Spirit play into each other
7. How spirit and mind play into each other
(The Following laid across another card)
8. How to heal your mind
9. How to heal your body
10. How to heal your spirit.
11. How to heal your root.

I paused after every round and thought about it. Mine was interesting, and made sense, so I hope it helps me make quit for good this time. It made my reasons for starting in the first place more clear, and much more 3-dimensional than I had originally thought. Though what I always thought was the reason was in there, but it was not the whole picture.

Frannie

What a great idea for a spread! Thanks for sharing :)

Sheri

Excellent spread, Stagecraft_kid!

I could see this spread working for any kind of addiction - thanks for sharing it!

:love: valeria

sladie

I know it's an old post - but needing to signal boost 'cause I'm working on quitting right now and this spread could come in VERY handy.

Sirena84

Fab :)

I need something like this.. desperately wanting to quit and having zero will power lol

Stagecraft_kid

I think this spread is good for focusing intention towards your desire to quit. It was one that required thought, which also meant I had to seriously consider whether I was willing to quit like I wanted to. Wanting to, and willing to, are very different. In previous attempts, those two were not in sync. The spread I hope will help you to view the problem from various angles, and see how the roots of the addiction, plus the interaction between the roots, is hindering your success.

One thing I found helped was to quit cold turkey. Patches and gum never helped me, but made me miserable for long periods of time, and I realized that I was really no closer to quitting in my eyes. I would still have to go through the effects of the withdrawal of nicotine. Every one I know that quit, and quit for good, did it cold turkey. I'm sure many people have had success from the nicotine replacement methods, but I don't know anyone. Those that quit with them, started smoking again a few months later. I had the same experience.

I ended up quitting for good about a month after I did this spread. This spread, was for me, a step in the right direction. Like I said, it helped me focus my intent. One thing I would suggest, that helped me with the cravings, is deep breathing. It may sound stupid, but the deep breathing was one of my greatest helpers. The breathing method is you breath in slowly as deep as you can, then quickly pull in a little more air, hold for 5 seconds. You then exhale slowly as much as you can, then breath out a little more, hold for five seconds. Focus on your breathing, and repeat this process five or more times. I found that by focusing so much on my breathing, I was focusing less on my cravings. When I read about it, they recommended laying down. That was all well and good on my days off, but while working, I found I could do it while standing or sitting as I did my work. It really helped me. If you try it, I hope it will help you too. Smoking was for me a way to relax and pause the stress, chaos, and pain of the day. This deep breathing has a similar effect. It really calms you. Try it, and see how it goes.

I wish you luck. It is hard, but my aunt was right, she says when you're ready you're ready. She always told me not to get down on myself whenever I failed to quit, she told me to keep at it. She told me, one day you'll realize you've had enough, and you'll be done. This spread helped me get closer to that point. It helped me distance myself a little more from the more romantic(?) parts of smoking (I don't know how to put that in a way that expresses what I mean), and view the cigarette with a little more distain than I did before. See it less as a helper, and more of a hinderance.

I also found praying helped me. I don't know if you pray, but having someone or something to pray to for strength, peace, or just someone to scream out you're pain and frustration at when you're ready to chew through you're own arm for a cigarette, is a nice thing to have.

I wish you luck.