Using more than one pack of cards

SpiritOfTheDogz

Today I did a monthly reading using the J Dee tarot, afterwards I turned over four Angel cards to give a general idea of the whole reading and after that I answered a question using oracle cards. Both the Angel and Oracle seemed to tie in with the reading very well but is all this going to far...how many more use other "types" of cards to enhance a tarot reading?

Paul

raventepes

I have a spread that combines 7 differant tarot decks, and every once in a while, I'll combine tarot and oracle decks or even runes.

Chronata

For a very long time, I would choose one card from an oracle before I turned over any tarot. It's not unusual, and actually it enhances many of my readings.

KCB

You might like to check out the author Jeanne Ruland. I have a book of hers that is about using multiple decks. Her spreads are quite complex but generally I have found them worthy of the time required. Good for big questions!

Kylie

Faolainn Storm

I frequently use oracle cards with tarot readings. I find it is especially good for two purposes 1. a summing up card, rounding out the reading and pointing out the most important aspects of the reading. And 2. as a clarifying card when one of the tarot cards is unclear. Sometimes when I use tarot to clarify a confusing card it just makes the card more confusing. So in those cases I stop using tarot and grab one of my oracles and use that to clarify. That usually explains the confusing card extremely well.
And if a spread brings up a new question, I have been known to leave that spread there and grab a second tarot deck and layout a new spread about the new question. This allows me to go back and forward from one spread to another. In this situation using an oracle to sum up each spread in a single card is extremely useful.
So I have been known to use several decks at once.

Faolainn Storm

Le Fanu

Raventepes... Im intrigued! A spread that uses 7 decks. How sumptuous! How do you do it? Do the decks remain separate or do you shuffle some together?

That would solve the quandry I always feel over "Which deck am I going to use for this one?"

I often use a spread alongside a single "plucked" oracle card, but 7 decks, I just love the sound of that....

niteskye

Go with your intuition - sometimes you will may be drawn to use oracle cards or even a different tarot deck, sometimes not. When you feel inclined to use them, then it's the right thing to do.

This is how I also do my readings...sometimes I will pull out extra cards, an oracle deck or even a different tarot deck and other times it just doesn't seem necessary.

clarity

Interesting, I haven't combined more than one deck but I will def give this a try!