Forthcoming solstice

Moongold

Minderwiz and others who are knowledgeable about these events,

The Summer Solstice is approaching. It will be the Winter Solstice for those who live in the Northern Hemisphere. I thought I saw something about this here some time ago but can't find it now - sorry if I'm covering old ground.

This is obviously very important time astronomically and I imagine astrologically too. Can you tell us a bit more about what it might mean?

Because it's so close to my birthday, it's an expecially significant time for me. I've checked my chart for that day and it looks promising. The usual things.

Could you make any comments on what might be special about this time? In the Southern Hemisphere summer solstice falls on 22 December.

Could you also tell us what Lilly charts are too?

Many thanks,

Moongold

Minderwiz

Moongold,

To deal with the last question first, Lilly charts are called after the Seventeeth Century Astrologer, William Lilly and relate to Horary questions or electional questions - you will find out more about this in the Horary thread.

The Winter Solstice in the North is marked by the Sun's entry into Capricorn. Astronomically it is the point where the Sun reaches its most Southerly point - over the Tropic of Cancer in the Southern Hemisphere. This gives the Northern Hemisphere the shortest hours of daylight (and the Southern Hemisphere the longest hours of daylight). The term 'solstice' literally means that the Sun stands still - it stops its motion southwards and turns backwards thereafter to move northwards (reaching its maximum Northerly point over the Tropic of Cancer in June).

From an Astrological point of view, Capricorn is one of the four Cardinal signs. The entry into Capricorn transfers the Sun's rulership to Saturn. It is a time for planning what will happen when Spring comes, so it is a period of quiet and solemnity. The idea of old father time giving way to the new infant comes from Astrological symbolism. Saturn symbolises the father, and the old man, The true Astrological start of the new year is the Spring Equinox, not January 1. So we have a period where Old Father Time (Saturn also equals time) reigns but already the seed has been set for the birth of the new year (or new king). Many cultures have myths of the Winter birth of the new king who will eventually be sacrificed to ensure that good harvests will continue.

I'm not particularly well up on universal myths so perhaps others might like to post about this area of natural spirituality.

lunalafey

ever see that show.....

..the old claymation where Rudolph has to save the New Year's baby for Father Time?....or something like that....I DUG that show! why not, being born on New Year's eve and all? But at 4 years old I really had NO idea.......
"The idea of old father time giving way to the new infant comes from Astrological symbolism."
but since you put it that way......NO WONDER!!

Pollux

Minderwiz said:
(...) the Sun reaches its most Southerly point - over the Tropic of Cancer in the Southern Hemisphere. (...) reaching its maximum Northerly point over the Tropic of Cancer in June (...)
Minderwiz, maybe I am thick but you mentioned the Tropic of Cancer twice.
The most southern is the Tropic CAPRICORN, and the most northern the CANCER, right?
Or viceversa? However, one at a time, right? *LOL*

Minderwiz

Pollux,

I was just checking to see who was reading what I posted - Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

You're quite right Capricorn is South and Cancer is North, so from a Northern hemisphere point of view, The Sun in Capricorn is about as far away as it gets!

Incidentally, I know very little about the arguments in relation to the Southern hemisphere. In part I would have thought that it was the simple reverse and Capricorn represents the mid-summer solstice but if any one knows of any subtle differences please let me know.

isthmus nekoi

There are many myths that relate to the solstices/equinoxes and the theme of the mother-son lovers in connection to agriculture. I can think of some from Greece, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon, Rome and then there's Christianity. I'm pretty busy right now, but can post a little something later if ppl are interested. I touched on this a wee bit in the mythology post in the original Scorpio thread, and then there was Minderwiz's post on natural cycles/astrology a while back...