Book T Minors: Cancer

Grigori

Following on from our previous discussion on Aries (Cardinal fire) I thought it might be of benefit to contrast that with Cancer (Cardinal Water).

The three cards for Cancer are the 2, 3 and 4 of Cups.

What is everyone's thoughts on these cards?

Grigori

I found this description of Cancer online, that fits quite well with these cards.

http://www.astrology.com/allaboutyou/sunsigns/cancer.html

Cancer, the fourth Sign of the Zodiac, is all about home. Those born under this Sign are 'roots' kinds of people and take great pleasure in the comforts of home and family. Cancers are maternal, domestic and love to nurture others. More than likely, their family will be large, too -- the more, the merrier! Cancers will certainly be merry if their home life is serene and harmonious. Traditions are upheld with great zest in a Cancer's household, since these folks prize family history and love communal activities. They also tend to be patriotic, waving the flag whenever possible. A Cancer's good memory is the basis for stories told around the dinner table, and don't be surprised if these folks get emotional about things. Those born under this Sign wear their heart on their sleeve, which is just fine by them.

Always Wondering

I expected to see the same loss of Cancer’s energy from Two through Four of Cups. And it seams that way, especially in my Liber T deck, because of the shrinking medallion of Baphomet as the cards progress.
But it seems to me this progression is more dramatic due to the Moon ruling Cancer in the Four of Cups. This rulership does not seem as complimentary as the Sun is in Aries, is that due to the difference in the nature of the Sun and Moon?

AW

elvenstar

My (not so flattering :p) understanding of Cancer is emotional and passive-aggressive. Clingy, or at least big on emotional stability and will hesitate at nothing in order to achieve/maintain it. Also, very sensitive and perceptive. May seem soft and cuddly, but can be cold and hard, like the shell suggests. Can be sneakily manipulative and drown you in emotion/guilt if in self-defence.

Looking at the two to four of cups, perhaps I can see a progression of that energy, a start of attraction in the two, pleasure peaking in the three and wallowing in the mud in the four?

I think Moon is the ruler of Cancer? Could that mean 'too much' watery gooey emotional stuff?

Grigori

There does seem to be a striking differance again betweem the 2 & 3, and the 4 of this suit. It seems to me that the 2 and 3 get the more positive sides of Cancer, the sensitive, caring, loving, protection etc. The 4 seems to get the more negative side, crabby, moody, jealous, manipulative.

This comes out especially in the RWS decks. I'm looking at the Mythic Tarot, and in the 4 of Cups it shows a pair of jealous vindictive sisters manipulating their previously happy sister. The RWS itself has the typical boredom/apathetic loner, which seems a little closer in meaning the the Thoth's depicition of Luxury, leading to too much of a good thing.

Always Wondering said:
But it seems to me this progression is more dramatic due to the Moon ruling Cancer in the Four of Cups. This rulership does not seem as complimentary as the Sun is in Aries, is that due to the difference in the nature of the Sun and Moon?

I've been sitting down and working out the astrology dignities, and realized this group is very different to the Aries ones we looked at first. All 3 Aries cards had major dignities between the planets and sign which really brought out the meanings of the planets and signs. In the cancer set, that is not the case at all.

2 of Cups & 3 of Cups have very minor attributions, the 3 is slightly stronger than the 2, but neither is very strong. (Venus in Cancer is in its Face & Mercury in Cancer is in its Face and its Term)

4 of Cups however has the Moon in Cancer, which is its Ruler. However the 2 and 3 are "happier" cards, as they are more balanced. The explanation seem to be the 4 of Cups is all water and very unbalanced, so the moodiness comes to the fore. Overly emotional maybe heading towards bitterness. The Moon is attributed to babies so perhaps this also makes the card more juvenile as well as more instinctive? Pure emotion without reason or intellect?

I was looking again for physical things in the images that relate to the signs and planets. In the RWS for of Cups you see a discontented man folding his arms across his stomach. I'm thinking of that image now as if he is so caught up in his dissatisfaction that he's somatizing it as stomach pain, which is a weak area for cancer.

In the two you get the two lovers, as suitable for Venus. And in the 3 we see Mercury enouraging communication with the "Group", in an emotionally satisfied Cancer type way.

Always Wondering

elvenstar said:
I think Moon is the ruler of Cancer? Could that mean 'too much' watery gooey emotional stuff?

Crowley in BoT implies "a certain weakness, an abandonment to desire" in this placement, "which introduces the seeds of decay into the fruit of pleasure."

Always Wondering

I pulled Three of Cups today and decided to strictly use this system to glean information. Mercury, communications and mentality (to me this meant thought process) in Cancer.

Working from feelings and memories rather than logic. Feeling out people or answers. Empathy. Absorbing knowledge. Subconscious patterns. Insightful. Imaginative. (I don't have my birth time yet, but suspect this placement figures in.)

On the negative side this placement can lean toward gloominess, apprehension and fear for the future. (Again, very relevant)

The issues brought to my attention by this card then are; gaining objectivity, questioning my biases (thought process) and paying attention to facts.

I found it a simple and meaningful activity for this card.

AW

Always Wondering

Surely I am not the only one patiently :angel: waiting for this series to continue.

AW