Elements

**alex

Aloha!

My name is Alexandra and I use the tarot and am getting even more so into the history and meanings behind the symbols than I ever have. I've been using James Rioux's contribution to the http://www.ata-tarot.com/resource/cards/ site with his meanings for each card. I have been reading a lot of various meanings and material for each card meaning, and his piece really puts it all together.

One question I have for any one that may be able to answer is this: Do you pay attention to the relationship between the elements when doing a reading or do you simply focus on that card for what it is when it comes up and read it straight (such as the position of the card)? I have been using the Golden Dawn (15 card) spread which has 5 sets of three cards placed next to one another. I have been referring to the Super Tarot site at http://supertarot.co.uk/lessons/beg.htm when looking at the elements of each card and how they relate to each other. Does anyone else pay attention to the elements? According to this site, certain sets of elements will have different outcomes and influences, strengths and weaknesses. It's a great site when learning how to read tarot along with http://learntarot.com/cards.htm Any suggestions during readings?

Another question: how do I know when to read the negative side of the card as opposed to the positive?

Mahalo nui! I really enjoy this site and am looking forward to everyone's reply!

balenciaga

just some thoughts

I consider the elements when I am discerning between thoughts (sw), emotions (cups), intent or motivations (wands) and reality, the materialization (pentacles) when using the RWS system. I feel more confident when I see pentacles somewhere in the spread. I reserve the trumps for philosophical overview.
I use the elements predominantly in Thoth. Some elements either conflict or intensify each other, and this I pay very close attention to, because some cards are knocked out altogether or just sit silently in the background. Others come to the fore.
As far as positive and negative, you will know that by how the elements interact - the masc energies of air and fire intensify each other; the feminine energies of water and pentacles do the same. It all depends on the question, the individual meanings of the cards, your intuitive interp, and the elements to decide whether this is positive or negative or altogether ineffectual.
Keep working with the elements in whatever capacity you choose; they are very interesting.:)

53rdspirit

Just My Opinion...

Definitely I do; but then again, I use the elements and their symbolism in my daily life, let alone just the Tarot.

I enjoy reading for another without them telling me what they are there for. I am pretty accurate on a cold reading by looking at the predominance of elements in order to know they are seeking information regarding work, relationships, family, money, health, sorrow, loss, education, etc.--due for the most part to the show of elements in a spread. I also use the elements to detect seasons or timing in a spread.

I do not suggest using the elements alone, I also use numbers for detecting beginnings, middles and ends. I use astrological correlations in various ways as well. Colors means something to me, and there are so many other factors in a reading--the elements are just another part of the whole.

Negative cards--well, personally, some cards just affect me negatively (like the Ten of Swords or the Nine of Swords, Devil, etc.); however, there is usually that "silver lining," and very few cards stand alone--the level of negativity depends upon the accompanying cards in the spread. Also, it depends, sometimes, on the deck I am using as to which cards are negatively felt. Sometimes a reversal will indicate negativity, but "negative" vibes usually come from upright cards in my experience, unless it has to do with a reversed court card--again, in my experiences.

Regards,
53rdspirit

Mojo Twin 2

Yes. To me the elemental aspects of a card is important to take into consideration. These attributions have so much to say about the nature of the reading. Taking the elements into account also helps you get your bearings in a spread. A proliferation of earthy cards guides you to thinking about money, work, home, etc.

At the same time (I'm a libra - go figure) I like to balance this with - letting the cards speak to me, for lack of a better word. I have a tendency to get bogged down in the minutia of the multitude of meanings of a card; it is very important to let all that go to a certain extent and let your intuitions speak to you - what are the cards saying - the pictures?

alec...

**alex

Mahalo

Thank you to everyone for posting their ideas! It really helps and of course the way I see the cards is broader than before. Mahalo nui!

elvenstar

If you search the forum for 'elemental dignitites' you'll find some more discussions on the elements :)

Ligator

"I also use the elements to detect seasons or timing in a spread."

Can you Please tell me more about how?

/T

John Callaghan

Always.

I take a very Taoist approach to the cards, the elements, and the Tarot in general.

I think opposite energies can make a situation whole, can extinguish what might have been a positive flame, or can put out what might have been a destructive blaze.

I think similar energies can have a synergistic effect, and can make a directional energy grow even stronger and faster than it would have on its own, or can lead to a situation running amok.

As with all things in life, so much is hidden in the context. Weighing the balance is part of being a successful reader. Just calling out the cards "as is" is something anyone with access to a free online guide can do. Interpreting them in context is a skill that takes a lifetime to hone.