I'm going to be flamed: information on various RWS decks

Feitico

I've only been on this site a couple days, but I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times in the past - I just can't seem to find it when I search the forum.

I'd like to buy my first set of Tarot cards, and would like a Rider-Waite deck, or a very well designed derivative.

I'm wondering what Rider-Waite deck would be best. I like the look of the Original RW, and the Universal RW looks very nice as well.

What are your opinions.

If you can give me the link to a thread that addresses this question, I would be very thankful - I'm terrible at searching forums.

Thanks,

Feitiço

mac22

the search tab is in the menu bar:

User CP FAQ upgrade library members new posts search

As to RWS decks most beginners seem to do well with the regular RWS or Universal Waite.

Mac22

rcb30872

I have (or more to the point I did until it came to an untimely end - don't ask!) the Radiant Rider-Waite, I really liked it.

gregory

If you are starting out and aren't doing so because you saw the deck of your dreams and it screamed at you - go for the original RWS. You may as well start with the real McCoy and then branch out when you know what it is that you like and don't like about it.

There is of course the Marseille, but you don't mention any interest in that, so....

Grigori

Welcome to AT!

You can see pictures of the various RWS clones at this page.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-clones.shtml
And the backs at this page (backs are important to me, and the standard RWS has damn ugly backs IMO)
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Cardbacks.html

For a first set, I'd suggest either the Rider Waite, Original Rider Waite, Universal Waite or Radiant Rider Waite. The differences between them probably aren't a big deal at a beginning or practical level, so just pick the deck that is most visually appealing to you I reckon. That is after all, why so many variations were created, for people's different tastes.

I started with the Universal and was very happy with it. I later got the regular RWS and the Original RWS and go through phases with each of them. I have a couple others too for comparison, but when I want to read with one, its a random decision based on my artwork preference of the day. :)

Alta

I agree with similia. I am guessing, from your other posts, that the history of the deck and its permutations are not of tha much interest.

Of decks currently available I would suggest either the widely available 'yellow box' USGames Rider Waite or the Radiant or Universal (by Hanson-Roberts) which are the same but more attractively coloured.

I personally favour the Radiant.

The Rider Tarot Deck
US Games Systems Inc
0-913866-13-X

Universal Waite
US Games Systems Inc
0-88079-496-8

Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot
US Games Systems Inc
1-57281-413-6

Incidentally, I realize you were being humorous but we do not allow flaming here. It is a moderated Forum.

memries

My first deck was Radiant Rider Waite. It just seemed to me I could see the pictures easier with the more vibrant color.

Feitico

Thank you for the suggestions.

mac22, I have used the search feature, but did not manage to find a thread that answered my questions. I'm sorry for not making that clear.

AJ, I think I've spent a good couple hours perusing the lovely deck database offered by Aeclectic, but it is difficult to know what a deck will actually look and feel like from looking at a picture. I'd like the opinions of people who have held the decks in question in their hands. I have found a couple posts that brought up a few concerns regarding the various RWS decks. Someone claimed that the Radiant was too orangey in colour, and I've also read that the Universal's colours are not bright enough.

Alta, It isn't that the history of the deck isn't of interest to me, I'm just more concerned at this juncture with the general quality of the deck in terms of its use for beginners and general aesthetic charm.

I'm sorry about joking in the title; I'll use more pertinent subject headings next time.

Skimo

I have choosen the Halloween tarot as my RWS-clone beginner deck.

To me, it was better in real than in scans.