Trailer for "Chemical Wedding" on YouTube

fyreflye

Aleister Crowley died in 1947. L Ron Hubbard published the first article about his new "science" in 1950; his first book Dianetics was published later that year. AC lived in the UK; LRH lived in the US. I can certainly imagine that they might have crossed paths at some time but the notion that AC had anything to do with Scientology is absurd. Here's what passes for the "evidence:" http://www.mt.net/~watcher/crowleyhubbard.html

Umbrae said:
Now in IMDb, they have a plot synopsis that involves L Ron Hubbard. I know the Scientology folks have done a lot of work to poo-poo that Uncle Al and L Ron knew each other, or hung out...

So...did they?

Alta

That is hysterical, I so want to see it. It will probably be released in San Fransisco and Vancouver and no where else, sniff.

Ross G Caldwell

It looks great. I laughed til I cried at the trailer. Can't wait for the movie.

Much better than what was floating around earlier last year.

Haddo refers to Oliver Haddo, Somerset Maugham I believe, "The Magician"

Crowley thought M based the character on him.

Ross

Moonbow

I'll come with you similia.... I'll also need a bed for the night (or 14 nights), and a flight.... but for you.... :)

Simon Callow is excellent... although I have one (?) problem with this. I don't know anyone over here who would pronounce Crowley that way! Croooley?!

Grigori

Moonbow* said:
I'll come with you similia.... I'll also need a bed for the night (or 14 nights), and a flight.... but for you.... :)

Yay! Can you swing by and pick Lillie up on the way. We'll have a great time. I'll buy the popcorn :D

Hopefully it is released here...

ravenest

similia said:
Thats hysterical!! I sooooo want to see it now. I'm not sure if they are serious or not either, but it will be funny. I just will be completely unable to convince anyone I've ever met to go see it with me :laugh:

Lets Go!

ravenest

Umbrae said:
Jaysus have I not taught you anything?

A FREAKIN' TUTU!!!

Release date May 30, 2008 (UK).

Now in IMDb, they have a plot synopsis that involves L Ron Hubbard. I know the Scientology folks have done a lot of work to poo-poo that Uncle Al and L Ron knew each other, or hung out...

So...did they?

Here is the OTO 'mythology' on the subject:
It was Jack Parsons, Lodgemaster -Agape Lodge OTO Pasadena, who had the L.Ron connection. Lodge members saw through Ron's strange effect on jack and reported it to Uncle Al. Al sacked Jack. Then Ron ran off with cameron, Jacks wife, the joint savings account and the boat. Jack ran down to the Marina, called up a storm and the boat was forced back to shore.

(Actually Jack 'called up' the Coast Guard and they arrested Ron.)

The story appears in Ron's biography, the part where he talks about 'saving' a poor unwitting 'priestess' from a californian 'black-magic cult'.
:laugh:

(and by the way when Jack dfid the 'calling up the storm' ritual on the beach by the marina, he was wearing a tutu.)

Star-Willow

similia said:
Oh please will someone go with me? :( I will be the sad lonely guy in the back row carrying a nightlight and some books for reference :laugh:

I'll go with you similia, seeings how I only live *just round the corner* from you :)

AND... I haven't seen any comedys so far this year :D

ravenest

Give me the sign of the open eye and the token erect of thorny thigh

Looks like a gang of us is getting together, thnks for offering your place Similia as the base camp :laugh:

PS. what's that AC is wearing 1:28 into the clip, hmmmmmm?