What Thoth do I have?...

Dancing Bear

I have just aquired a deck of Thoth...
I have no idea about Thoth at all... and because it was given to me and this person has had them for some time... I am wondering are there different decks out there... if so which one do i have. Specifically looking at the year it was made really... why? just out of curiosity...

It has an extra card a red and black card with a geometric design, a flower at its centre.. The deck has a Muted Green border.. the cards were printed in Belgium and the book and box were printed and created in US...by US Games NY..it has a little AC78 on the box, and have no idea whether this means it was made in 1978 or it just means 78 cards..

the cards are in mint condition .... the box has seen better days..

Any help with this deck would be much appreciate.

inanna_tarot

sounds like one of the 1970s editions.. heres the editions thread
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35594

Most people here have an inky green thoth... some are loved and some arent so loved lol.

Have you got the OTO card as well? Ive just got the hexagram card no OTO

Dancing Bear

Yes I have the OTO card also

Thanks for the link I will go have a look...

Dancing Bear

Thankyou so much for the link...
I found Ceruleans post.. It sounds like mine ... I dont have the blank white card though..

http://www.manstenen.com/4021_thoth.jpg

Top Flap:
ALEISTER CROWLEY THOTH TAROT DECK (in red)
Published and Distributed by
U.S. Games Systems, Inc., New York, N. Y. 10016 (these two lines in black)
Cards pritned in Belgium AC78

Top Flap, Back:
The top flap of the box is tucked into the back: the lettering is red, a 50 percent screened image of the back of the cards with the rosy cross. The following text is written in two columns in black printing, centered under a title of three lines written in bold uppercase:

ALEISTER CROWLEY
THOTH
TAROT DECK

Aleister Crowley was born October 12, 1875, and he joined the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in 1898, rising rapidly thre grades of the Order.

In 1904, while in Cairo, Egypt, the climax of his career occured when he claimed to have received the direct voice transmission, the first communication to mankind from the hiearchial forces ruling the earth during the present Age of Aquarius. Known as the Book of the Law, it forms the cornerstone of Crowley's teachings and profoundly influences the imagery of his Thoth tarot deck.

Crowley poured the entire contents of his magical mind into his tarot deck. Although members of the Golden Dawn were sworn to the most solemn oaths of secrecy, Crowley published many of the Order's secrets.

Neither Crowley nor the artist of the Thoth tarot deck, Lady Frieda Harris, managed to publish the tarot deck during their lifetimes. Crowley died in 1947 and Lady Harris died in 1962. The Thoth tarot deck remained unpublished until 1969.

Lady Frieda Harris was born in 1877. She married Sir Percy Harris, a distinguished member of British Parliament.

Although Lady Harris had little or no previous knowledge of the tarot, she possessed in her own right an essential pereption and understanding of the spirit of the Book.

Crowley and Lady Harris expected the project of the tarot might involve three months of work but the preparation of the cards required than five years of labor between 1938 and 1943.

Sometimes many versions of the same card were painted to achieve the desired effect. Crowley was a fanatical slave driver and his rough sketches and descriptions often went far higher and deeper than anything Lady Harris had previously known.

Ten original essays on the Thoth tarot are reprinted with this deck - one edited by Lady Harris from the writings of Crowley, the other written entirely by Lady Harris. Both essays provide unique insight into the artist and her interpretations of the tarot of Crowley.

Front of Box:
in red:
ALEISTER CROWLEY
THOTH
TAROT DECK

Ordo Templi Orientis (in black, ornamental lettering, curved over an almond-shaped shield in red with a triangle, dove pointed downward, small bower over cross in a cup. Lines radiating from the triangle.

To the left, in black

Designed by
ALEISTER CROWLEY (in red)

To the right, in black

Painted by
LADY FRIEDA HARRIS (in red)

BOOKLET OF INSTRUCTIONS (text in black)
Two essays by Lady Frieda Harris & foreword by S.R. Kaplan (text in red)

COMPLETE 78-CARD CROWLEY TAROT DECK
IN STUNNING NEW EDITION BASED UPON
THE ORIGINAL PAINTINGS (in black)

Both sides have the same printing:

ALEISTER CROWLEY THOTH TAROT DECK
CARDS PRINTED IN BELGIUM . BOOKLET AND BOX PRINTED IN USA
ISBN: 0-913866-15-6

Extras:
One white blank card
One Ordo Templi Orientis card with shield and "Do what Thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" with the text given by Rusty Neon in another post....signed by Hymeneus Alpha, Caliph, Ordo Templi Orientis and under this, Thoth Tarot Cards, printed in Belgium
One black card with five-pointed star which actually looks like arrowheads and a five-petalled rosy cross--motif is orange-red on a glossy black background.
Pamphlet/LWB: 45 pages

Dancing Bear

After further reading... It looks like I have received a 1977 first of the green series...

I cant say I am overly keen on the deck.. I do Love some of the Majors though..

dont know whether i will keep it as I am not an avid collector.. I will play with it for a week or two.. You may see me in Tarot trade soon though LOL!!

Scion

DB,

The Greenies are very sought after by some folks... :thumbsup: You'll definitely find takers.

inanna_tarot

I love my greenie one. Even though I have newer editions, I love my green one. hehe

So yeah, lots of takers

Abrac

Dancing Bear- There should be a copyright notice on the first page of your booklet. It will be ©1978 or ©1978, 1983. That date is a good way of approximating age. If it's ©1978 then it's before 1983 but if ©1978, 1983 then naturally it would be after 1983.

BTW...the AC78 stands for 'Aleister Crowley, 78 cards.'

Dancing Bear

it has copyright symbol 1978 by Stuart R Kaplan,

ISBN 0-913866-15-6

the booklet printed in
United States by Noble Offset Printers , inc New York, N.Y 10003

it is a white box...

after all my reading up I am on the assumption that it is a 1977 Deck..

Thanks Abrac I thought that could be the case it meaning 78 cards... thankyou for clearing it up and confirming.

chriske

78 Greenie

1978 Greenie - great deck! The symbols are printed nice and clear on that one and the green font for the titles has a warm feel. The paintings aren't cropped either (unlike later decks with a few millimeters missing on some cards). And, of course, no annoying white border on the back.

If you decide to sell you will have lots of enquiries for sure. It's a mass produced deck but a real attractive one.