Camoin Method, Example for Analysis, MaureenH #2

MaureenH

My question is about my offer to mind my sister's dogs for two weeks in her house, alone. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll suggest she put the rottie in doggie daycare.

But just for the sake of practice, I asked the question. One of them is a 125 lb. rottweiler (very scarey), one is a young black lab (not scarey at all). The rottie is well trained and socialized, but I've never spent time alone with him especially in his house. Also, a doberman attacked a dog I had about 25 years back and I've been terrified of big black dogs with little buff dabs on their eyes ever since. I spoke with my vet who commiserated with me and said I would definitely have issues and that he has the same reaction having been bitten a few times. He gave me a few tips, but he didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Should I mind Bailey for two weeks?

.........(Tower............The World............Lover)

XIII.....Hermit.....Pope.....Strength.....Sun

1. How do you handle gazes for the the Tower? The people look like they're looking in two directions, so I put gaze cards for both. I'm not sure if I should've done it that way, though.

2. I'm inclined to think this looks like a thumbs up for minding him, but I'm also inclined to think I wouldn't trust it at this point. I certainly won't hold anyone's opinion as etched in stone, but I'm curious about how much trust people put in their cards for something serious (well, this is serious to me! :))

So there it is, essentially, for the sake of clarification on Camoin's regards, etc.

Thank you.

Paul

MaureenH said:
My question is about my offer to mind my sister's dogs for two weeks in her house, alone. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll suggest she put the rottie in doggie daycare.
The Tarot adjusts to any question asked sincerely.

.........(Tower............The World............Lover)

XIII.....Hermit.....Pope.....Strength.....Sun
Ok -- this is the part that is so important but drives novices nuts -- you've got to get the placement right.
What is the first row, past position, present position, and future position? Is this XIII, Hermit, etc. Which is which?
Then follow the gazes. Nothing should be going on the top row unless it is a solution card. So, I don't understand the Tower, etc. Are they correcting or solving Hermit, etc? who are reversed, perhaps?

1. How do you handle gazes for the the Tower? The people look like they're looking in two directions, so I put gaze cards for both. I'm not sure if I should've done it that way, though.
No gazes for La Maison Dieu. In the advanced method, we might place cards on either side of La Maison to clarify the dual personages or concepts. But, these optional laws should NOT be used by newbies. Even advanced readers use these optional laws sparingly and when it is necessitated.

Here are the gaze cards:

Le Mat
I -Le Bateleur
II -La Papesse
III -L'Imperatrice
IIII -L'Empereur
V -Le Pape
VII-Le Chariot
XVIIII -L'Hermite
XI -La Force
XIII -L'Arcane sans nom
XIIII -Temperance
XVII -Le Toille
XXI - Le Monde

MaureenH

Do you mean that if I'm already pretty sure I'll not mind the dog it isn't really a sincere question? I was sincerely curious! :)

Sorry I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post the pics, but my first three card arrangement that I've been putting in parenthesis: the past was Tower, the present was The World and the future was Lover.

I think you answered my question, though, because it looks like I needn't have put gaze cards, that I placed below, for the Tower. Nothing was reversed. I haven't even looked at the Optional laws yet.

Thank you.

Paul

Here it is...now we can ponder it...
MaureenImage.jpg

And by "sincerely," I meant that I believe that when we don't approach it like a parlor game, the process is pure. Your question is a legitimate question, as you say.
:)

Paul

Maureen - is "Bailey" the black lab or the rottweiler?

MaureenH

Bailey is the beastie boy (rottweiler).

No, I don't think of Tarot as a parlor game at all. Maybe that's why I hesitate so much when asking my questions.

Look at all those doggie treats pouring out of the Tower! And there's me with sticks trying to entertain them 24/7. I almost can't bear to think of that future card.

Hey, there's absolutely no rush on this. Whenever you get a moment. Thanks, Paul.

Paul

Here's my take.

La Maison Dieu shows the house and Le Monde shows you looking at the house, essentially house sitting with all the animals around you. So, the spread confirms that it is indeed addressing your question. Thus, we are interpreting the cards using with an emphasis on Icon or Image (this terminology of icon, image and other poetic devices is mine, actually, not Camoin's, but I have found it to be a clear way of explaining how images are interpreted in the TdM tradition. It means that the cards look like that which they signify in this case). How did I know that this was the interpretation? The context of the question provides the clues for which patterns to look for; the images will have a synchronicity with the theme. We must look at the cards with childlike eyes and put aside for a moment grand esoteric interpretations of La Maison or Le Monde, although such are certainly relevant depending on the context of the question. Your question was about house sitting dogs, a legitimate quesion causing you anxiety, but we don't have to go into a deep meditation here to perceive the answer. ;)

In the Camoin Method, the usefulness of the Past and Present positions is in part to confirm the question; it fosters confidence, because one see's the synchronicity in the spread. In the case of La Maison and Le Monde, we see that the "Past, Present, Future" positions are fluid. That is, (XVI + XXI) yielded a compound noun, rather than being strictly XVI in the Past and XXI in the present. So, we need to be alert for compound sentences wherein multiple cards will neatly combine to form 1 idea in a sentence. How would you know? Pattern recognition given the context of the question.

The final card is VI-Lamoureux. Interestingly, I thought we might see XVIII-La Lune in this reading, due to the dogs, but I think that this might have sent the wrong message with those dogs with their tongues out. :(

Instead, on VI, we have the image of one person between two people of different temperaments. In the Camoin Method, we pay close, close, close attention to the wording of the querent and the salient themes in their narrative; these provide clues as to how to interpret the images and determine which patterns are salient.

I took the temperaments of the two women in (VI) to be confirming the 2 temperaments of the dogs, because you made a point to draw our attention to this salient fact. So, this guides us. I think this successfully concludes that both dogs can coexist with you in this house sitting venture. Here then, we are reading the cards as an Optical Analogy; the dogs are analogous to the people in the card. If we got La Lune, then the dogs would be iconic of your dogs, for obvious reasons, but I don't think La LUne would have communicated such a clever message of unity.

We also look at the people on (VI) due to the Law of Duality and the Law of Extremity. In the Law of Extremity, we compare the beginning of line with the end of line. So, on La Maison Dieu, we see two people, and on (VI) we see three people. The image of the people are important. On XVI we go from 2 people (with one climbing out a doggy door) to 3 people on VI. I think this also confirms that there will be 3 "people" sharing that house, one woman and 2 dogs! So, the LAw of Duality has us look for repetition, comparison, contrast.

Now, it is possible that (VI) actually means you negotiating to get 1 dog outta there. But, I think we would see other cards confirming this. Perhaps, somehow with the layout, we would see the doggie thingie creature on Le Mat walking towards the kennel owner of Le Bateleur (just using my imagination). In the Camoin Method, we should see repetition of themes or clear relationships between cards to confirm an idea. This Law of Repetition keeps us from seeing what we want to see.

Hope this helps elucidate the Method.

MaureenH

That's really cool how you do that.

I do think I understand your use of poetic devices and you've demonstrated that in a few readings now. I like that and need to practice. I hadn't connected the house with dog-sitting, either.

For some reason, I had put the Fool card aside for Camoin's Method. I thought I'd read to do that on his site, but maybe I mixed up that idea with something else I've read (*sheepishly puts Le Mat back in the deck*).

This has been helpful and enjoyable, Paul. I'll try to tap into all the info that's been posted on this board so far when I have another question.

Flavio

I was wondering if both dogs are seen as dear family members so they were shown as people in this spread, in La Maison Dieu they are actually "walking using their upper extemities" and both are male, in Lamoreux they are female probably showing a gentler nature than before anyway I couldn't help notice their heads, one has olive leaves that look like Bailey's threatening teeth and the other person (the lab) wears flores in a very love & peace way.

Now remembering Jodo's book... in Lamoreux the sun circle and the arch made the shape of a skull like the one in XIII, probably this 2 week stay at your sister's marks the beggining of a new stage in your relationship with dogs, hopefully a very nice one.

Paul

Flavio said:
I was wondering of both dogs are seen as dear family members so they were shown as people in this spread, in La Maison Dieu they are actually "walking using their upper extemities" and both are male, in Lamoreux they are female probably showing a gentler nature than before anyway I couldn't help notice their heads, one has olive leaves that look like Bailey's threatening teeth and the other person (the lab) wears flores in a very love & peace way.
I love it!

Now remembering Jodo's book... in Lamoreux the sun circle and the arch made the shape of a skull like the one in XIII, probably this 2 week stay at your sister's marks the beggining of a new stage in your relationship with dogs, hopefully a very nice one.
Yes, this is one example of those wonderful optical idiosyncracies of the Camoin/Jodo deck, which is why Camoin recommends it.
I would only add that this "skull" motif would be most salient if paired with another skull motif; that is to say, if XIII had appeared as well next to or above VI, then emphasis would possibly be placed on this, per the Camoin Method. As always, a sign on a card (using poetic language) can be an icon, image, symbol, index, etc. So the skull could be a skull, a head, a symbol of medicine or transformation, or an index of a graveyard, etc.