Ignorance is Bliss !

memries

I am going to find a Thoth deck and buy it. I am going to do it because I cannot stand not to know something that seems to be so interesting.
My question here for some kind person is, which deck do I buy and where would it come from. I might as well start out with the best if I can.

I also assume I will have to start reading the books but that should be interesting as well.

Annabelle

I love the Thoth but thus far have largely skipped the books. The Thoth strikes such a strong intuitive chord in me that I just haven't been too worried yet about all the Golden Dawn nuances I may be missing.

Anyway, if you are trying to decide which copy of the Thoth to buy, I recommend the one currently sold in the purple box; it's a nice, usable size and comes with the three different Magus cards. There's also a larger size (sold sometimes in a green box and sometimes in a white box) but I find it very hard to shuffle.

Edited to add: I hope it's okay to post a link - I noticed that you live in Canada. Here's a link to the specific version I'm talking about, sold through Amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/Thoth-Tarot-De...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209078197&sr=8-1

Grigori

Jeannette created this great comparison over at Tarot Garden.
http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

Umbrae and Jeannette also recently posted to advise that the large green box is now exactly the same product as the large blue box inside.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85763

So really, unless you have a special wish for an older OOP version, which isn't really necessary as the new printings are better, you just have to choose between the small purple box, or the larger green (or blue box, though the green seems more common here).

The large sets are quite large and difficult to shuffle, but they have the advantage of clearer details.

The small sets are much easily to handle, the image is smaller, though not badly affected. The purple box does have the "bonus" alternate versions of the magician if that floats your boat.

My favorite is the large deck, but with the borders trimmed off. This way I get the large images, in an easy to handle deck. But to start with, the borders are probably very useful and I wouldn't have wanted to cut them off when I was new to the deck.

Get one of each I say })

Always Wondering

Hi Memries,

There was a recent thread about the Thoth printings here. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85763
Unless you are looking for collectible out of print decks they are being printed at the same place. I have the regular size deck, but the large size deck is on my list, behind a few books, because I want to see all the details easier.

You will get plenty of books recommendations around here. I will let the better read guide you there. I am currently reading Book of Thoth and it isn't all that intimidating.

And you are right, it is very interesting.

AW

Dancing Bear

HI Memries :love:
I recently aquired a Thoth deck, not intentionally.. A local man was selling a deck of rider waite i needed :bugeyed: , but he wouldnt sell it without the Thoth..
LOL!! reluctantly I agreed LOL!! I cannot believe in hindsight, it was a reluctant buy LOL!

It is the older greenish tint deck, white box.. at first i really had no interest.. a few majors really struck me as beautiful.. but that was it... I left them alone for about a day or two... and the weird thing was, I kept thinking about them.. I kept wanted to throw a spread.. I kept wanting to sift through them...picking them up , looking at them.. finding more and more i liked and more that intrigued.

My poor Druidcraft had to be hidden, just in case it got the jelousy thing happening :p I felt utterly disloyal LOL!!

I am now stocking up on Thoth related books.. LOL!!

And here i was thinking seriously of posting up in the Trade section..LOL!!
This is a deck I am going to study...
All decks I normally read intuitively.. Druidcraft being my main deck..
But I think the Thoth is so worth the time and effort for study.. especially seeing as the Creators have such and interesting past to go with it.. there seems to be so many directions this deck can send you in.. and all equally fasinating... even if i dont ever read with this deck and only ever study ... it will be worth the time and effort....
To aquire this deck is a real treat for any Tarot Lover..

BTW.... I think any Thoth deck you get , regardless what edition ,, you will Love...

Good Luck and Have Fun

DB xxx :heart:

memries

Thank you all for your supportive replies. Today I am going to read every reference you gave to me and decide which deck or as Similia says, "Buy them both" Good idea I think. I like big pictures to be able to see and yet you need to be able to shuffle.

I will let you know which I choose and no doubt I will be on the Thoth forum reading and learning and questioning.

A.Crowley as a type of person has never appealed to me but maybe I have been doing an injustice to him as most people would not be horrified anymore with his antics. Myself included. It was the perspective of the era he lived in as well so am looking forward to studying it all.

Lillie

Get big ones!

I have tiny hands but I manage to shuffle them ok.
And the big pictures are worth it!

memries

Ok Lillie my hands are not so big either but I do like to be able to see a picture clearly. That is part of the appeal of a deck I think. That and color, it helps to define the shapes very well.

Lillie

I hold them long ways up and sort of do it like that.

It's worth it, cos the pictures are amazing.