Liber O

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Much more awesome than the cardboard and candles I had imagined in my bedroom. I am starting with a tiny little alter and my trusty pocketknife. :)
If that's the best you can manage at the moment that's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. The hallmark of a successful magus is flexibility and adaptability. If circumsatnces won't allow you set up a full blown temple, make the best of what you have. If your situation changes at a later date you can always expand your horizons. I remeber times whan I was forced to work in little pokey rooms where there was barely enough room to swing a cat. (I wouldn't want to either. :laugh:) But I still managed. If anything it was an excellent lesson in economy.

Crowley has a few words to say on this subject in Magick Without Tears.
As some of your daily practices are ceremonial, it should not come amiss to vouchsafe a few hints of practical service. For in ritual Magick, it will of course be the first care to get everything balanced and tidy.

If you propose to erect a regular Temple, the most precise instructions in every detail are given in Book 4, Part II. (But I haven't so much as seen a copy for years!) There is a good deal scattered about in Part III (Magick, which you have) especially about the four elemental weapons.

But if circumstances deny you for the moment the means of carrying out this Ædification as the Ideal would have it, you can certainly do your best to create a fairly satisfactory—above all, workable—substitute.

(By the way, note the moral aspect of a house, as displayed in our language. "Edification"—"house-making": from Latin Aedes, "house". "Economy"—"house-ruling": from the Greek "ΟΙΚΟΣ", "House" and "ΝΟΜΟΣ", "law.")

I was often reduced to such expedients when wandering in strange lands, camping on glaciers, and so on. I fixed it workably well. In Mexico, D.F. for instance, I took my bedroom itself for the Circle, my night-table for the Altar, my candle for the Lamp; and I made the Weapons compact. I had a Wand eight inches long, all precious stones and enamel, to represent the Tree of Life; within, an iron tube containing quicksilver—very correct, lordly, and damsilly. What a club! Also, bought, a silver-gilt Cup; for Air and Earth I made one sachet of rose-petals in yellow silk, and another in green silk packed with salt. In the wilds it was easy, agreeable and most efficacious to make a Circle, and build an altar, of stones; my Alpine Lantern served admirably for the Lamp. It did double duty when required: e.g. in partaking of the Sacrament of the Four Elements, it served for Fire. But your conditions are not so restricted as this.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
If that's the best you can manage at the moment that's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. The hallmark of a successful magus is flexibility and adaptability. If circumsatnces won't allow you set up a full blown temple, make the best of what you have. If your situation changes at a later date you can always expand your horizons. I remeber times whan I was forced to work in little pokey rooms where there was barely enough room to swing a cat. (I wouldn't want to either. :laugh:) But I still managed. If anything it was an excellent lesson in economy.

Crowley has a few words to say on this subject in Magick Without Tears.

I like collecting familiar objects for this purpose, it just feels right. I have taken a deep breath over the weekend and thought about what you all have so graciously shared with me. I love Magic Without Tears, it's my favorite so far, yet I left it half read for a new wonder. Like a kid in a candy store. :) I intend to slow down and savor more.

Thank you.

AE

ravenest

Yes, I agree with that approach. make do with what you have. And, as well, one shoulkd be able (eventually) to do any ritual or practice with no props or objects ... just you ( I used to do LBR on my motorcycle on the way to work ... as well as doing the 'full'blown' temple version).

I see it a bit like my martial martial arts training ... I miight know how to use a sword or staff but if I am attacked when my sword and staff are at home what am I going to do? Say, "Wait here, I'll be back in 20 minutes." One must always be prepared.

As a contrast to Aeons AC quote above there is another one at the end of Book 4 .. a small book, cant remember its name but it is about making the magical weapons or tools. ... 'by thine own ingenium' might include finding the right dagger at your local magical shop or it migh mean actually smelting the metal itself ... imagine what one would learn from that!

By thine own ingenium devise a magical lamp that burns without fuel or wick .... I've got mine (several actually) they are wonderfull for keeping the fuel bills low ...

But maybe I just like making things, and painting and constructing and figuring out problems and understanding processes and devloping new skills.

I'd hate to loose that ... and I'd hate to loose the spontenaity of being able to use what is at hand ... but i think we len different lessons from different approaches.

Always Wondering

ravenest said:
By thine own ingenium devise a magical lamp that burns without fuel or wick .... I've got mine (several actually) they are wonderfull for keeping the fuel bills low ...

This one will have me thinking for while.

AW

ravenest

Nah! They're all over the place nowdays ... your probably looking at one right now ... ;)