SYMBOLOGY STUDY GROUP: The Kings June 03-June 17

tabi

I completely forgot and last month just got away from me. Unfortunately I need to leave for work so if anyone wants to start here that would be great thanks.

t

tarot4fun

Sharman-Caselli Kings
The Kings, as partners to the Queens, stand for masculine energy, and authority within their own suits. They are dynamic and active and correspond to the cardinal signs in astrology.
The New Complete Book of Tarot by Juilet Sharman-Burke
LWB~
Wands King is a Charismatic leader ~masculine energy in imagination and creativity.

Cups King is One who both loves and fears ~masculine energy of feelings and emotions.

Swords King is An authority figure, firm but fair ~masculine energy in life challenges.

Pentacles King represents Financial security and stability ~masculine energy in money and potential.

Court card can represent people in our lives, or someone who will enter the picture soon.
-or-
They can represent characteristics and personality traits that we need to be aware of within ourselves; either to incorporate or to tone down.

You can wonder~
Which king would make a good life-partner for me?
Which king would be a good employer for me?
Which king would get on my nerves?

Off to do some reading and comparison~
Will post more later~

:heart:

tabi

The court cards are notoriously hard for beginners and sometimes long time readers to figure out. They can be so much and offer so much information yet they are not all that forcoming in where and how they fit in to the larger scheme of things.

Crowley is the one person's view that helps me with understanding the court card. I am still trying to figure out which is scarier though: Understanding him or agreeing with him.

Crowley setups the court in to elements. Kings being the Fire element, (reference) then you take in consideration of which card that it is. Start simple then build around these two basic ideas.

King of Swords, is the Fire of Air. For me it means that it is the will of thought, the motivation of getting things done. Yet what are you trying to do?

King of Cups, is Fire of Water. The burning need of emotions, emotions at it's strongest, for good or bad. Also could be very obessive because Fire and Water are generally not a good mix.

King of Wands, is Fire of Fire. Another dangers mix since there is nothing to tame it or control it, so you have pure will or motivation but let's hope that you have a good intent.

King of Pentacles, is Fire of Earth. You get a feeling of solid male energy most of the time in this card but Earth controls pratical things. However it does also deal with earthly feelings (sex) too.​

How this helps me apply the court to a reading? Simple I look at the card to see how the elements line up and my thoughts on those elements. Now I look at the reading and ask myself: Am I this person? (answer) If not me, is it someone I know in the situation? (answer) and again if it isn't, what if it is the situation? (answer)...occassionally the court will slip pass you into the unknown realm of none of those questions but then ask what does it mean and LISTEN to the answer.

Those tiny random stray thoughts that pop into your head during a reading are generally there for a reason. ;)

afrosaxon

NOVT Kings

The kings in the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot are called houngans. They are vodoun high priests and in this deck, are mostly pictured with a drum. Drumming was a common form of communication in Africa, and to an extent still is. It is considered one of the best ways to commune with the lwa (spirits). All ceremonies in both vodoun and santeria include drumwork.

Petro--Houngan [King of Wands]: very dynamic and focused as he beats the drum so hard that flames burst from the base of it. The other drummers to the side give him the spotlight; he's so good that he has earned the title of houngan, and others defer to his exceptional talent.

Congo--Houngan [King of Cups]: he beats his drum and water flows out of it and to the ground in a continuous loop: the drumming blesses both the houngan and the ground. He can give without depleting himself. I get a greater sense of caregiving and nurturing in this card, which fits with the Congo (Cups) suit.

Rada--Houngan [King of Swords]: This king holds what looks to be a double-necked gourd...or maybe it's a drum made from a gourd (I can't tell). Air flows from the gourd/drum as he strokes (beats?) it and forms a yellow cloud (yellow is a color associated with the mental realm and intellect). Maybe this is a Rada (Swords) card because it's a bit more difficult to figure out than the others :laugh:

Santeria--Santero [King of Pentacles]: The Santero (a high priest of Santeria, equivalent to a houngan) lays a sacrifice of herbs at the base of the drums, in order to appease the orisha (spirits, equivalent to lwa) and curry their favor. The herbs are a nod to the earth association of Santeria (Pentacles), as is the green grass upon which the Santero walks, and upon which the drums rest.

T.

Attachments

• Petro -- Houngan.jpg
    Petro -- Houngan.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Congo -- Houngan.jpg
    Congo -- Houngan.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Rada --  Houngan.jpg
    Rada -- Houngan.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Santeria -- Santero.jpg
    Santeria -- Santero.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 111

afrosaxon

Umm..."Kings" in DOM Tarot

I think I can post this here...you'll understand the reason for my confusion soon.

In the Daughters of the Moon Tarot, there are no kings, per se. It's a very feminist, matriarchal, woman-oriented deck, so the traditional court structure (king/queen/knight/page) becomes maiden/mother/crone. Since I would associate the "mother" aspect with the Queen, I guess the "crone" would be the "king". :D

To that end, I have attached the images of the two crone cards I could find in the DOM (I don't have a scanner). Keep in mind that the coloring on the actual cards is richer and a bit different in some places.

The Crone of Cups shows Hecate in her lair in the underworld. She holds a light and is draped in a black gown, and stands in an underground stream. This card is associated with the astrological sign Scorpio, which itself is associated with the underworld and death. Hecate is a Greek goddess who has two myths associated with her:

--she was once a dead body brought back to life by the goddess Artemis and told to become Hecate, avenger of injured women (similar to Nemesis, but with a woman-only focus)
--statues of Hecate were once placed in doorways as a protection against ghosts, and Hecate became knows as the guardian of the veil between this world and the next (and also as a sorceress).

The Crone of Flames shows Cerridwen as she stands before her cauldron. A pig is emblazoned on the side of the cauldron and surrounding her are various animals (hawk, otter, hen, goat) that represent the various incarnations taken by both she and Gwion as she tried to chase him when he accidentally ingested three drops of the potion. The flame underneath her cauldron blazes high and coats the surrounding rocks. Cerridwen is dressed in fur to protect her against the cold. It it nighttime and purple mountains stand beneath a starry, slightly cloudy sky.

Cerridwen is a Welsh magician and had a magical cauldron in which she brewed a potion that granted wisdom. Three drops of the potion gave wisdom; any more and it became a fatal poison instead.

The Crone of Blades shows Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of midwifery and medicine, dressed in a purple gown, flying through the night sky on the back of a great gray eagle. In her left hand is a pair of scissors (to cut the umbilical cord?), and in her right hand is a lantern that shines great, bright rays across the darkness. A full, creamy moon is at her back and purple mountains are below her, which are next to a calm sea. Inside the light rays are daylight and blue skies.

The Crone of Pentacles shows Pasowee the Buffalo Woman teaching her young ward how to build a tepee. Pasowee, a gray-haired elder and medicine woman, holds the designed tepee pelt aloft while her ward sets the poles that will keep the tepee erect. Pasowee is the one who first taught the women of her tribe how to build a tepee, and she is the one who passes on medicine and healing knowledge. She is dressed in tan buckskin pants and lighter tan boots and a blue jacket. Her ward wears green buckskin pants, tan buckskin boots, and a tan buckskin shirt with no jacket. It is winter and snow is on the ground, and the sky is a wintery blue with wisps of clouds. A snow-covered, barren tree is on oneside of the card. The tepee is emblazoned with pictures of wolves, the moon, and bison. Pasowee smiles slightly as her ward works with concentration.

T.

Attachments

• Crone of Cups--Scorpio Hecate.jpg
    Crone of Cups--Scorpio Hecate.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Crone of Flames--Sagittarius Cerridwen.jpg
    Crone of Flames--Sagittarius Cerridwen.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 122