astrology study group ~ taurus

isthmus nekoi

Happy Easter everyone! The Sun has just entered the sign of Taurus today. Taurus rules the 2nd house, and is ruled by Venus, so any discussion about the fixed earth energy in your chart is welcome!

If you've just joined us, please take a look at the index here to see what this group is all about and how to get started: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=12481

isthmus nekoi

I've no planets in Taurus which cusps my 4th house, or the 2nd house (cusped by Pisces). Venus is conj Neptune in the 11th house, and widely conj Moon in the 10th (All are in Sag).

I think the conjs w/Venus is what gives me such a deep love for all forms of art. Art (including writing for some odd reason despite an afflicted Merc) and dreams play a central role in my life, it is a core *value* to me. Since Venus rules the sign of sensual Taurus and is quintiling expansive Jupiter, I do have a tendancy towards the extravagant, the decadant... but w/Saturn conj Jup, I'm never out of control ^_~

Taurus cusping 4th... Home used to represent an area of restriction (Saturn square sun I bet!!), but now that I'm older, I see that I was very fortunate, and home to me is a base of material security and aesthetic beauty. In terms of values however, my system deviates greatly from Chinese culture (family) and Canadian ideology (home country), but both cultures have considerable influence on my thinking.

Pisces cusping 2nd, I didn't know what to make of this until I read in Arroyo's chart interpretation book about how this placement might make a person feel a need to control personal finances and to learn to let go of this control. This describes me very well actually. I used to worry about my financial future more than was necessary... The issue doesn't concern me the way it used to now that I've had several jobs, moved out etc. and basically developed a more *realistic* view of the value of money. But every now and then, I still question how much $ I need to be satisfied, I still have trouble w/boundaries in this aspect.

Minderwiz

I've also no planets in Taurus but my MC is there (at a little over 9 degrees) and thus the cusp of my tenth House, my Point of Fortune is at 2 degrees (approx) Taurus in the ninth and my North Node is at 24 degrees Taurus in the tenth.

This should suggest that I should look for a Taurus style career, or social status - involved with money or business or art and beauty. In fact I teach Business Studies - though I haven't made any money out of it! The North Node suggests that one of my challenges is to learn to build and grow. Fortuna again suggests that I will be lucky in Travel, Higher Education, or Philosophy with a Taurean slant. I teach Higher Ed, students including final degree level and again Business Studies has a definite Taurean side.

My daughter is a Sun sign Taurus - though as I mentioned for the Aries posts, she has a strong Aries side. Nevertheless she has the intransigence of the Bull when she needs it and also suffers from Taurean health problems relating to the throat (with a Virgo Ascendant she also has problems with other parts of the digestive system).

The second House deals with personal possessions, natural talents and ability to relate to the natural and material world. This does not simply mean it is to do with money or income - though these are clearly related. Relating to the material world may well involve interests in conservation, animal protection, enjoying country life or making your living out of arts and crafts. Essentially this house gives some indication to how a person will make their way in the world.

azuremariposa

da bull...

well, as for myself, i have Venus in Taurus...she's quite comfy there naturally since this is the sign she rules...it would indicate a love of "the good life": fine food, fine drink, fine art, etc....it would also show an inclination to anything "hands on" and tactile...i went to school for massage therapy in my early twenties, which is a perfect expression of a Taurean Venus...supposedly, this placement would indicate a green thumb, but i'm quite good at killing plants, not keeping them...this is a third house placement, so it has a lot to do with how i communicate and express myself...i probably say "love" too much in emails and whatnot, but it's how i "talk" ;)
Venus is also conj Mars (in Gemini), so that has led to my more artistic side...i can conceive the art (Venus) and manifest it (Mars) w/little to no problem (however, Mars is conj Saturn, who restricts...so, i'm learning to be responsible first, artistic second...lol)
Venus also trines my Moon, which basically just says i don't mind the company of other women ;) hehe
interesting to note, in my early life, many boyfriends were Taurus, and i eventually ended up marrying a Taurean Man (who also has Venus in Taurus...are we touchy-feely? nah! :D hehe)...how much of a Taurus is he? he has Sun, Mercury, Venus & Saturn all in Taurus, w/Mars just on the outskirts in very early degrees of Gemini...this man can't be budged w/a jackhammer!! :D
i'll be back w/more...:) kiddies are now awake! lol

many blessings!

~azure

Moongold

Hi again,

I don't have any planets in Taurus either but I do have my north node at 21 degrees in Taurus in the 5th House. Currently learning all sorts of things about the nodes but not yet enough to share. Karmic stuff, does anyone else find?

Venus is the ruler of Taurus? It suddenly strikes me as an odd combination, dpn't know why. I have Venus in the 1st house forming a Yod with Saturn at 22 degrees in the 8th House and Uranus at 24 Degrees in the 6th House. I know there is a 2 degree gap but all the other elements are there and I've been advised that's what it is.

I hope that is correct. Venus is one of the redeeming qualities of my heavily Saturn oriented chart, with a Capricorn Ascendant and Saturn and Pluto sitting within 8 degrees of each other in the 8th House. Venus lightens the whole thing up. She is also sextile with Chiron in the 11th House.

I'm still trying to understand the Yod. It certainly affects my physical energy to a very great degree but I'l do a bit more research and get back to you.

Blessings all,

Moongold

azuremariposa

hi Moongold,

yes, Venus is the ruler of Taurus, which is odd to others as well...Taurus is supposedly ruled by Pan Horus, an as-yet undiscovered planet (at least i read that somewhere ages ago), and Venus is the ruler "for now"...:D
my chart is Saturn ruled by virtue of my Aquarian ascendant (Saturn was once the ruler of Aquarius before Uranus was discovered), and because my chart is so heavily cardinal, when Saturn moves into a cardinal sign, i feel it in that particular sign's house...
Venus is a wonderful planet, but all of them have their good & bad sides...so, you might look to see how Saturn helps you too...
Saturn can be a hard & relentless teacher, but w/o his lessons, i don't think we would progress so much in our lives...just my opinion, of course...
i look forward to you posting more on Yods, i have to admit i don't have much knowledge in that area...

many blessings to all...

~azure

Minderwiz

I don't find it odd that Venus is the ruler of Taurus - Taurus is the sign of mid spring - a time of growth, fertility, new birth (lambing season), plowing the soil for planting (rembember corn on the Empress card), fecundity and procreation abound - and what better ruler for this than Venus - for Southern Hemisphere readers remember Astrological rulerships were developed in the northern hemisphere.

As well as the productive and fertile side, Taureans are practical and sensitive, affectionate and generous aand love beauty - again all Venusian qualities and all symbolic of the new bounty of Spring.

OK, this can overflow into self indulgence, especially sensual over indulgence and it can exhibit as stubborness.

The Moon is exalted in Taurus and thus the lunar traits fo family, protection and nurturing are also brought to Taurus. This makes Taurus one of the most family oriented signs. Taureans tend to get on well with others (like Librans) and tend to do well in practical occupations (practical here does not mean manual labour - it can include all professions that interact with the material world around us). Also please remember that materialism is not necessarily always selfish or obsessed with property and money. Art, Craft, and Music, all require an interaction with the material in order to create.

purplefishy

Descendent

I suppose I could have posted this in the beginners thread, but it relates to Taurus so i'll put it here. I have Taurus as my descendent (the opposite of my ascendent, scorpio, right?) so what does this indicate. Is this an important part of one's chart?

isthmus nekoi

Before I studied astrology, I got the impression that a Taurian Bull would be very fiery, b/c I imagined bulls to be these massive, muscle bound, charging creatures, so having gentle Venus as its ruler did seem incongruent at first to me. But it makes sense now ^_^

I also find Taurians to be very laid back and calm. My father has a Taurus ASC. He has a real love for the "good life" like Minderwiz says, not just in material things, but arts etc. to the point where I find him snobbish sometimes! He's very practical, hands on. He can also be *very calm* in emergency, life threatening situations.

purplefishy> books tend to emphasize the MC and ASC, and I'd take any strong aspect from a planet to the IC into consideration, but if the house is empty and Venus not particularly strong, I wouldn't place a major emphasis on Taurus cusping the IC. Taurus is also on my IC. I would take it to mean that your home/family is a source of material wealth and beauty.

Minderwiz

Purplefishy,

If your Ascendant is Scorpio then your Descendant will indeed be Taurus. The Descendant is the cusp of your seventh House, dealing with long term relationships and partnerships. The first House tells something about how you project yourself to the world - how others see you and the persona you like to wear. The Descendant says something about how you relate to others.

A Taurus Descendant indicates that your seventh is ruled by Venus, and Taurean values will permeate your long term relationships, including marriage but also including business partnerships. Where Venus lies in your natal chart and any aspects it makes and receives will also give more information on seventh House activitiesm. Also any planets in the seventh will modify the reading (and link relationships to the areas of life that these planets rule).