TofOP - VI - The Lovers

Silverlotus

TotOP - VI - The Lovers

Astrological Influence - Gemini
Element - Air
Month - May, June
Contributor - Sylvia Gainsford

I was thinking about writing a little bit about the history and different images found on the Lovers card, but then I thought that it would be better left to those with more knowledge about such things.

I'll start first with the flowers and fruit since there are so many in this card. The woman and man are together holding a white lily, which represents purity and innocence - perhaps a reference to their relationship? They are both wearing garlands of forget-me-nots (true love) and orange blossoms (purity). (I'm taking the word of the book for this, since they are all but to small to see) Bluebells grow in the grass around them, representing constancy. I don't know the meaning of the ferns and fruits, as they aren't mention in the deck's book, it does say the tree is the Tree of Life though. In his write-up on the Tarot of the Old Path Major Arcana (http://www.tarotpassages.com/oldpath2.htm), Den Elder suggests the following: The fruit trees (sic) are supposed to represent the Tree of Life with its seven fruit. Apples, love and immortality; Cherries, are connected to Love Spells, remember the song... 'I gave my love a cherry'? Grapes, also connect to fertility; Lemons, connect to purification and a mundane use of being a germicide; Oranges, love and lust and wedding nights; the Orange might be a Peach, then it would represent love and fertility; Pears, too are love and lust; and what might be a Strawberry, which is considered a love food, that is - an aphrodisiac. Also note the little dove flying above the tree - purity and peace.

There are three figures on this card, a naked couple and an androgynous angel-type figure. The couple are obviously the lovers of the card name. They stare lovingly into each others eyes, and seem not to see the other figure. Personally, I don't much like this third figure, or most of the other angel-type figures in this deck. They seem kind of seventies-trippy to me. :) Anyway, this figure has the akasha symbol on its chest, which seems to me to connect the love of the couple to something more spiritual then just physical love.

I'll post some information about this card being dedicated to Barbara Cartland shortly, and I will probably post a few more thoughts later too. It's been a long day, and I'm having difficulty gathering my thoughts into anything coherent.

Silverlotus

The Lovers - Dedicated to Barbara Cartland

Barbara Cartland (1901-2000) was a well known romance novelist, having written close to five hundred novels. She is apparently listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's top-selling author.(1) She was involved in many causes during her long life, including improve housing conditions of the elderly and the working conditions of midwives and nurses in Britain.(2)

The dedication of The Lovers card in the Tarot of the Old Path deck is in honour of her philanthropic work on behalf of the Romany of Britain. In 1963, she successfully lobbied for the establishment of fourteen permanent Romany camps throughout Hertforshire. She did this in order to help the Romany avoid fines from the police for such things as littering and trespassing, as well as to allow them a place to settle so that Romany children could attend school.

Ms. Cartland accepted the dedication of the card at the 1989 Festival for Mind-Body-Spirit in London. The Tarot of the Old Path book notes that the dedication of the card was "made solely in recognition of her work on behalf of the gypsies. It is not meant to imply that she has any connection with Wicca."(3)

References
1, 3. Rodway, Howard. Tarot of the Old Path. Neuhausen, Switzerland: Urania Verlags AG; 1990.
2. Internet Obituary Network, Obituary for Dame Barbara Cartland 1901 - 2000. URL: http://obits.com/cartlanddamebarb.html [May 21, 2003]

Two of Wands

The card is attractive and really very close to the Rider Waite depiction.

I don't think there's really that much to read into a lovers card. It always seems enough that it represents the bonds that form between humans be it love, lust, hate, sex, passion, desire, trust, distrust, friendship, indifference, like/dislike etcetra etcetra.

I think the 'Old Path' Lovers card is fine; it's a pleasantly drawn sensual card, acting as a trigger, as Tarot cards do, for interpretation around this subject. I have to say however, I find it a bit watery and I think it lacks passion or any real conviction.

I actually prefer one of the earliest Lovers cards from the Visconti-Sforza deck:

http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=35

For me the meaning of the handshake, between this man and woman, taking place dead-centre in the card conjers far more powerful feelings and possibilities for me.

huredriel

Just thought I'd add a couple of thoughts in here. I notice that the sun is at the top centre of the card - perhaps indicating clarity of choices, that when you meet that which you feel you cannot live without (be it person or otherwise), you know it is a path/choice that you have to take. Also I see that the single dove flying towards to the "future" side of the card is going in the opposite direction of the flock on the other side of the tree. Perhaps this is indicative of going with what's in your heart as opposed to the herd?

Emily

I love the assortment of fruit and flowers on this card. On the tree are:- a lemon, cherries, grapes, pear, apple, orange, strawberry - you could image these lovers having a feast :) - They are both holding a white lilly which (I think) stands for purity. And are surrounded by flowers that look like bluebells and ferns.

The figures look at each other, with the lady touching the man. Its a tender looking card.

Rhiamon

huredrial, I love your thoughts on choices between who you love and going with the herd, I think (imo) that's the downfall of the Lovers Card,

the book has a couple of tidbits:
the dove represents the soul. the garland of flowers in her hair represents their love, Forget-me-knots are a symbol of love and orange blossoms stand for purity, bluebells represent constancy.

huredriel

Rhiamon said:
the book has a couple of tidbits:
the dove represents the soul. the garland of flowers in her hair represents their love, Forget-me-knots are a symbol of love and orange blossoms stand for purity, bluebells represent constancy.
Just re-reading this, and I had a thought just fly in and out of my mind ..............

the free-flying soul (dove), whole in itself (not being with the flock) ........ is here to learn and will always return to the truth of its being (bluebells constancy).

Opinions please ..... Or does that just sound like I'm losing the plot?