Das Lied der Rohrigen - 3 cups

Namaste

Three of Cups - Abundance

I am immediately struck by the beautiful, gushing waterfall, whose course even the rocks can't stop, as it spills and falls into a tranquil pool, filled with water, the element of emotion.

What next catches my eyes is the play of light at the apex of the waterfall and where it froths into the pool; light that reminds me of purity and grace.

I drew this card after asking what the energy or theme of my day would be. The answer? A day filled with emotional fulfillment and joy; perhaps even gratitude for blessings to be received.

The chalices intrigued me. One tinged with blue, swirling to denote movement, as though abundance is something that must flow and cannot remain static. The other tinged with yellow that shoots upward to denote the rising and outward movement which accompanies joy and fulfillment that suddenly blossoms.
The third chalice, because of its transluscence and apparent emptiness, suggests to me that that the source of emotional fulfillment is boundless, yet allows usto fill our 'cup to overflowing' with whatever we makes us happy. In other words, that we are also responsible for our own joy, and contributors to fulfillment and richness in our lives.

What say you? :) Am I reading too much into this card?

Moonbow

Words:

Gushing, Waterfall, Abundance, Celebration, Life, Fulfilment, Fresh, Clean, Clear, Happiness

Two of the cups are full to the brim with mystery, they contain colours and patterns, a swirl of emotions. They are out of the water (one each side of the waterfall) because they are full.

One cup stands empty at the top of the waterfall waiting to be filled.

Ther water is thick and heavy and it gushes between the two rocks into a calm azure pool below. It is a never ending flow, continuous, and there is enough to keep filling and replenishing our cups whenever they are empty.

We are at our happiest when our cups are full, but to recognise happiness we also need to know something of emptiness. This card shows us that joy is pure, crystal, clean and clear and that it's not static but goes through it's peaks and troughs. Maybe our lesson from this card is to keep trying to fill those cups. Aim to be happy.

contrascarpe

Such a beautiful card. First time I have spent any time with it. I first note that the middle cup appears to be a phantom, perhaps an unachievable ideal. The cups may or may not be filled, but stand watch over the flowing river. I hope I am not off-base here, but I find the card to be symbolically erotic in a subtle way. The colors are amazing and the pool of water at the bottom shows a calmness, not agitation.

One comment I have to make on the Rohrig is my dislike for the inclusion of keywords. That is a pet peeve of mine on many decks because one can be so trapped by the keyword and lose sight as to how many interpretations a card can have. Yes, Abundance can definitely be implicated here, but I feel like it can mean so much more.

Other than the keyword issue, however, this is a truely magnificent deck.

Dan

Namaste

contrascarpe96 said:
I hope I am not off-base here, but I find the card to be symbolically erotic in a subtle way. The colors are amazing and the pool of water at the bottom shows a calmness, not agitation.

One comment I have to make on the Rohrig is my dislike for the inclusion of keywords. That is a pet peeve of mine on many decks because one can be so trapped by the keyword and lose sight as to how many interpretations a card can have. Yes, Abundance can definitely be implicated here, but I feel like it can mean so much more.
Dan

Definitely not off-base, Dan. :)

If nothing else, this incredible deck is filled with sensuality and eroticism. Rohrig is a self-avowed lover of women, all women.

It is interesting to me, as a woman, that this extraordinary sensuality of his and his obvious enchantment with women spills over into his depiction of the men on his cards.

I find that a blatant example of this is the Magus, the Emperor, Knight of Cups, Prince of Disks, even the Hermit.

Some of the solitary male figures are also endearing, including in the previously discussed 10 of Wands. :)

As for the keywords. I think in this deck, more than any other, I have decided to completely disregard them. They are sometimes so much at odds with my own intuitive interpretations, and because, as you say, these cards, and I do say these cards are so very eloquent.

If you have the time and the inclination, Dan, would you like to contribute a new Das Lied thread for a Rohrig card you particularly like or wish to bring to our attention?

lunakasha

OK....here we go....my first post to the Rohrig study group! :D

(I should mention first that whenever I make an initial post on a specific card, I will do so without reading the other posts first, so that my observations are not influenced by others'....afterward I like to go back and read everyone's posts and comment further...)

Again...because I have not read first...apologizies if this is repetitive....:p

This card is really amazing to me...maybe because I have an affinity for waterfalls??? This particular waterfall seems somewhat calm, like the water is moving in slow motion almost. There is very little foam or "splash" at the end of it, which suggests that the water is somewhat calm, steady....a nice, soft rhythm to it. The color of this water also evokes feelings of calmness and tranquility within me....I call this color "dolphin blue".

The three glasses at the top...the two colored ones look to be "full" of wine or champagne...at least that is how I imagine them. But the middle glass is non-colored and obviously empty.

I wonder what this means, especially with the keyword "abundance" (more on that later). I love the colors used in the glasses...they remind me almost of the colors and patterns of butterflies, which are symbolic of beauty, transformation and freedom....free to fly and float along, enjoying the flowers and the sunshine.

I am looking now at the rocks, trying to find any interesting patterns or pictures hidden carved into their surfaces....am not seeing anything, but would like to read what others may have found....

And I agree with everyone who mentioned the limitations of keywords; I ignore the keywords and try to pick up on my own interpretation for a card. Sometimes it matches the keyword; more often it does not. My keyword for this card would have been "Tranquility" or "Rejuvenation".....not "Abundance".

:) Luna

lunakasha

Moonbow* said:
We are at our happiest when our cups are full, but to recognise happiness we also need to know something of emptiness. This card shows us that joy is pure, crystal, clean and clear and that it's not static but goes through it's peaks and troughs. Maybe our lesson from this card is to keep trying to fill those cups. Aim to be happy.

Very nice way of describing the cups, Moonbow*! I had not looked at it that way but....it makes so much sense, and your
description is nice, gentle and poetic....

:) Luna