Das Lied der Rohrigen - Ten of Wands

Moonbow

Oppression

A man stands alone in a solid stone box, with his head bent. The box is dark inside save the white glow coming from the man himself. Ten wands outside of the box are raining down towards him. His energy is being sapped by the darkness, he feels closed in and doesn't bother to struggle or try to find a way out. He is vulnerable, alone and anguished.

This is a quiet card but a powerful one. It shows the feeling of depression and mental strain. His thoughts and feelings are contained in this box and therefore the outside world is unaware of his inner turmoil, he has gone within, and all his energy and strength is contained within the solid structure.

One side of the box has no wall - a way out perhaps? But, he has his back to it, so cannot help himself yet, until he turns around and makes some effort to pull himself out.

Even in the depths of despair there is a way out but we have to look for it and not drown ourselves in our own inner feelings so much that the way out is not apparent.

galadrial

Something about his posture and nudity make me think that he feels ashamed. I get the feeling that he is unaware that he Glows with spirit, that his energy is held back conciously because he somehow does not feel worthy to step out of this dead end and fight the good fight again. I'm reminded of the voluntary inmates of "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" and of McMurphy's incredulity that their spirit's were so shamed and oppressed that didn't leave even though they could.

Namaste

For me, this card has to do with suppressed creativity.

The man who needs to show his nakedness (true nature expressed through his creativity) and become vulnerable in the performance of whatever creative act is his is afraid to do so. He doesn't believe in himself. Courage fails him. He has built these walls through his own insecurity, hesitancy, or uncalled for humility. He is a writer with writer's block, perhaps self-imposed. He is the artist who if only he would look at the canvas and the vision he carries in his mind's eye in a different way, from a different perspective even (the opening in the box), would be able to unleash his creative genius.

The wands, the passion of creativity, wish to descend upon him, transluscent with potential, but are blocked by the stone ceiling.

He definitely does not believe in himself or his artistry. It is a vicious circle since his disbelief will not allow him to express what he needs to let out, and by not letting it out, his disbelief only grows; his self-esteem only lessens.

Maybe it is the opinion of others he subconsciously shields himself from...

The lesson of this card? It doesn't matter what drummer each of us dances to, what is important is that we believe and follow our bliss, as Joseph Campbell used to say.

Very interesting, this connection of yours, Galadriel, to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...

Namaste

Moonbow* said:
Oppression

This is a quiet card but a powerful one. It shows the feeling of depression and mental strain. His thoughts and feelings are contained in this box and therefore the outside world is unaware of his inner turmoil, he has gone within, and all his energy and strength is contained within the solid structure.

Yes... unaware of the battle he wages with his private demons.

One side of the box has no wall - a way out perhaps? But, he has his back to it, so cannot help himself yet, until he turns around and makes some effort to pull himself out.

Even in the depths of despair there is a way out but we have to look for it and not drown ourselves in our own inner feelings so much that the way out is not apparent.

So true... Delightful, Moonbow*! :)

Moonbow

Namaste said:

The wands, the passion of creativity, wish to descend upon him, transluscent with potential, but are blocked by the stone ceiling.

haha... I see you beat me to the compliments Namaste

I love what you have said here, Namaste

And Galadrial's mention of him being ashamed

This is why these Study's are so good, other people notice different points that open up the card to more meanings.

Namaste

Ahhh..., dear Moonbow*

Your words warm my heart... I know I am not always the quickest of travelling companions, but I am loving this leisurely journey of ours in the company of Galadriel. :)

The insights you all gift me with are immeaurably precious to me.
Thank you!

galadrial

Writer's block is an interesting idea, Namaste. It made me realize that the shelter is not only man made, but made up of many individual blocks which might not be oppressive singly but together create a barrier between him and accessing his creativity and passion. I compared it to the Ace of Wands and realized he could be the Wand in the Ace, only instead of radiating his power out to the Universe, the cares of the world have piled brick upon brick of restriction on his ability to manifest. But the ten is an end and new beginning card. Wands potential still hovers over the barrier. His spiritual glow seems to indicate that he has the power to break down the barrier, or to find his way out of it, realize the potential and blaze with the fire of the Ace again.

Namaste

galadrial said:
Writer's block is an interesting idea, Namaste. It made me realize that the shelter is not only man made, but made up of many individual blocks which might not be oppressive singly but together create a barrier between him and accessing his creativity and passion. I compared it to the Ace of Wands and realized he could be the Wand in the Ace, only instead of radiating his power out to the Universe, the cares of the world have piled brick upon brick of restriction on his ability to manifest. But the ten is an end and new beginning card. Wands potential still hovers over the barrier. His spiritual glow seems to indicate that he has the power to break down the barrier, or to find his way out of it, realize the potential and blaze with the fire of the Ace again.

Your insights are absolutely sublime, dear Galadrial!!! :)

That you should have thought to see him as the Wand in the Ace is a superb finding. Yes, it is up to him to free himself!

I look forward to your insights into the Fool. :)

contrascarpe

I finally find my way to this magical study of the Rohrig.

Actually, I did my first reading with this deck yesterday and it spoke so loudly to me. Interestingly enough, the Ten of Wands came out in the spread. My first instinct was very similar to everyone elses - isolation but obviously self-imposed isolation. The wall is open on this side but the figure chooses not to acknowledge it. I must confess I did not even consider the ten wands hurtling toward the "prison". Perhaps an alternate interpretation is one of protection or self-preservation. Maybe this is not so much a prison but a refuge.

I also love the Cuckoo's Nest analogy. I have not read the book since High School (many, many years ago) and it has also been awhile since I watched the movie ..... perhaps time to reacquaint myself with both.

Thank you all for starting this wonderful study group - I look forward to "catching up".

Dan

Namaste

contrascarpe96 said:
I finally find my way to this magical study of the Rohrig.

Perhaps an alternate interpretation is one of protection or self-preservation. Maybe this is not so much a prison but a refuge.

Great that you could join us, Dan. :)

Your idea of this being a refuge is interesting. Our automatic reaction to any threat, imagined or real, is, indeed, one of self-preservation.